"Love Me or Leave Me"

Hollywood
...or let me be lonely.

Mike: Can't wait for that synopsis.

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

This movie changed the usual Good Girl Doris Image and brought her the most popular film of her career to that time. She played the life story of 20’s star Ruth Etting, and her co-star was James Cagney, this time in a lead dramatic role. Even today, critics say Doris should have had an Oscar. The soundtrack was the biggest selling album of 1955. “I’ll Never Stop Loving You” (one of two new songs written for the film) was nominated for an Oscar.  In every possible way, this was the peak film of Doris Day's Career...the acting was Oscar caliber; the singing was the best in the business; the chemistry of all the stars in the film was perfect.  There is good reason why the movie soundtrack is still considered one of the best soundtrack albums of all time...every single song is a musical "event".

In 1920's Chicago, Ruth Etting wants to be a renowned singer, which is a far step away from her current work as a taxi dancer. Upon walking into the dance hall and seeing her, Chicago gangster Marty  "The Gimp" Snyder immediately falls for Ruth, and works toward being her lover, which he believes he can achieve by opening up singing opportunities for her.

Ruth is initially wary of Marty, but makes it clear that she is not interested in him in a romantic sense. Regardless, he does help her professionally, and through his opportunities, which are achieved through intimidation and fear, Ruth  quickly gains a name as a singer, which she is able to do because of her talent and despite Marty's intimidation tactics. However, the greater her success, the more reliant she becomes on him. This becomes an issue in their relationship as she believes he can take her only so far before he becomes a liability.

All well and good, but Marty will never let her go that easily. The one person who tries and tries to get Ruth away from her unhappy life with Marty is Johnny Alderman (Cameron Mitchell), the musical advisor Marty hires for Ruth at the first gig he got for her, and who also loves Ruth himself.

Love Me or Leave Me won the Academy Award for Best Writing, Motion Picture Story, and was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role (James Cagney), Best Music, Scoring of a Musical Picture, Best Music, Song (for Nicholas Brodzsky and Sammy Cahn for "I'll Never Stop Loving You"), Best Sound, Recording (Wesley C. Miller) and Best Writing, Screenplay. Variety called the film "a rich canvas of the Roaring '20s, with gutsy and excellent performances."  Doris' performance was critically acclaimed...so why no Oscar Nomination?  (Anybody's guess.)

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

OSCAR NOMINATED TOP SINGLE SELLER: (NEW SONG WRITTEN FOR THE FILM)

THE OTHER NEW SONG WRITTEN JUST FOR THE FILM:

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

fluffy cloud

I admire the way Doris put down this fabulous role.Not only does she look glamorous and very different from the girl next door,the movie is just fabulous.You get the whole package.The acting,the dancing,the singing,lovely story,great end.LOVE IT.

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

We must add Christie's beautiful creation!

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Love this movie, and is rated at the very top of being one of Doris greatest movies. And also showing off her more serious side showing the world she could do drama.
Yes Mike this is another one where Doris was overlooked by the Academy. She did some great acting and also great singing and dancing. I think throughout her whole whole career in Hollywood she was overlooked. But we all know and will always know what talent she has.
I know James Cagney is a great actor but he has always played such tough guy images in almost all his movies that it is hard for me to like him in the movies, and this movie is a prime example of what I am talking about, his part in this movie was so controlling of Ruth and everyone around him almost to the point of being a brute. Doris says in her book they cut a lot of the scenes out of when she tries to tell him, "There is no way I will ever be able to repay you for all you have done" and he shoves her into the bedroom and we all know the next scene shows where they are married and he is trying to be all nice to her. And then we all remember what the final straw, that made Ruth decide to leave Marty was the slap across the face scene. Cagney told the director he wanted to not have the pretend slap he wanted the real slap left in and they didn't tell Doris so they could get the shock effect of it when it happen, and that they did..
I will post a picture I did for this movie a few days ago. The second picture was done a long time ago. Mike love your introduction of this movie and especially all the videos, and Dorine always look forward to your wonderful pictures and that is such a great picture Christie did for the movie. And Holly I always love your posts.

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Trailer for "Love Me Or Leave Me"

And let's not forget her smashing rendition of

"Everybody Loves My Baby" ♪♪

"Ruth Loves Johnny"

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

fluffy cloud

I remember you Always loved this picture Barb,and one time I think you painted it

Doris arriving at the studio at 5.30am....Always perky!

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Barbara
Yes Dorine I remember painting that one before but now I don't know where it is at. I did come across this one and remember when I put it in the scene behind them, I thought of the song Doris sings ( But not in this movie) "Night Life"

And the other two just fooling around with the picture.

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

fluffy cloud

Well Barbara I am amazed how your colouringtechnique becomes "funky".My goodness,I have no clue how to do this,all I have are the classic pics.

10 cents a dance

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Barbara
Keep em coming Dorine, you always post some I have never seen before.
I haven't seen the one where Doris and Jimmy are warming their hands, love these off camera shots, there is also one of them where Cagney is on a bike and Doris is standing beside him.
If I find it I will post it.

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Barbara
The real Ruth Etting and Marty Snyder.

This is the slap scene I was talking about but would love to have the one of the shock look on her face where she grabs her face.

Oh Nick where are you hiding? You know we have to have your input on this wonderful movie.

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Thank you Janet and Barbara.
This was one of the great performances, too bad it was overlooked.

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

a soothing kiss from Charles Vidor after the slap....

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Barbara
I know Christie, so many of her great performances were overlooked. Dorine so glad you posted  the pictures with the director Charles Vidor, great pictures no wonder he is kissing her cheek, she got a hard slap and didn't know it was coming.

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Hollywood
I've had trouble posting my comments for "Love Me or Leave Me" b/c I have sooooo much to say and share about this film.  I was trying to put all of it in one post, but that was too overwhelming.  It finally occurred to me that I should post in PARTs, which is what I plan to do.  Bear with me.  (Sometimes you gotta break your own rules).

Re: "Love Me or Leave Me"

Barbara

U hoo, Just wondering where everyone was at. Sorry Holly you're having problems posting, would love to hear more of your input on this movie.