"IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

In a hilarious romp, resembling one of those brilliant Warner Bros. cartoons, and 1949 Hollywood setting, Doris Day is on parade again in her third picture: IT’S A GREAT FEELING, starring Jack Carson, and Dennis Morgan.  This film is a real gem with Hollywood poking fun at itself in celebration of their bright and shining new star - Doris Day.  It is also graced with cameo appearances of Hollywood’s golden age legends: Gary Cooper, Joan Crawford, Ronald Reagan, Danny Kaye, Sydney Greenstreet, Patricia Neal, Eleanor Parker, Edward G. Robinson, Jane Wyman, Errol Flynn and several legendary film and musical director(s).  I love this movie, and it certainly lives up to its title!

This time Doris plays a somewhat naïve, but well-grounded, small town girl named Judy Adams; who left her boyfriend/fiance back in Goerke’s Corner, Wisconsin, for a job as a waitress in the Warner’s studio commissary; hoping for a break to land a part in a picture, and a subsequent film career.  Meanwhile, actor Jack Carson is assigned to direct his own picture, only because all of the studio directors refuse to work with him because he is such a HAM!  To add to his troubles (and fears of defaulting on his mortgage) all of the actresses refuse to play the lead in his picture due to his reputation as a womanizer. . .

In walks newcomer Judy Adams, the solution to his problems.  And Jack’s only remaining and reluctant friend, Dennis Morgan (like Bugs Bunny paired with Duffy Duck) agrees to help him bring potential starlet Judy Adams (Tweety Bird) to the attention of their producer to be “discovered” so they can put her in Jack’s picture, and Jack can make his house payment.  However, Jack’s screwball antics only add to the producer’s already high-stress levels and quickly start to snowball, as Judy, a very lovely and talented singer, finds her Hollywood hopes in the hands of two well-meaning but bumbling cartoon characters, who can’t seem to do anything right.

When all hopes for success have been destroyed by her overzealous partners, and inflated promises come crashing down, a thoroughly disgusted and disheartened Judy says goodbye to her Hollywood dreams, and boards a train back home to Goerke’s Corner, Wisconsin, to marry her boyfriend Jeffery Bushdinkle.  But a twist of fate ensues.  By chance, the producer of Jack’s picture, is also on board the train and overhears Judy singing a lovely ballad (without Jack and Dennis around to screw things up,) and offers her a part in a picture!  But she’s had enough of the broken Hollywood promises, and gives his offer a defiant NO!   But “Tweety Bird” always lands on her feet!   Her bridegroom Jeffery Bushdinkle, turns out, to everyone’s surprise, to be Errol Flynn; the sexiest man in Hollywood!

There are hundreds of reasons to love this film.  This is a very lovely young Doris singing and performing several outstanding numbers, and adapting back to comedy again like a duck to water.  It is also another peek at the early stages of Doris Day’s film career; as Warner Bros. appears to be still exploring the depths of possibilities for their versatile new discovery; before the “Girl Next Door/America’s Sweetheart” has been fully substantiated.

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

fluffy cloud
Thanks Nick for your lovely introduction.As I have not seen this film I sort of rely on bits and pieces I watched on youtube.Doris looks stunning and the line-up of gueststars is wonderful.The only thing I cannot figure out how she ends up marrying a guy that look likes Errol Flynn.....somehow no match in my opinion.But the movie has quite some funny scenes I saw,so entertaining for sure!

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Thank you, and you'll have to get this one Dorine!  It's one of my favorites - I never get tired of it!  Actually, I edited my introduction, he didn't look like Errol Flynn, it IS the very dashing young Errol Flynn, who is sort of bashful stealing the girl at the end - as usual.  He can't help it, and Doris has him in the palm of her hand.  Great ending!

This is NOT Jeffery Bushdinkle, it must be her father.  See the movie as soon as possible.  Very funny!

Here is the look on the faces of Jack and Dennis when they find out who Jeffery Bushdinkle is.  They are both upstaged, but not Doris!

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Nick
Here's Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Tweety in action.  It appears they consulted with the Warner's Cartoon Dept. - the whole movie has the spirit of a Warner Bros. cartoon, except they substituted real people in beautiful Technicolor!

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Thanks Nick for that great introduction to this wonderful movie. Makes you want to see it if you haven't already. I am not that good at introducing movies, you just have a way with words.
Missed your calling, should have been a writer.

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Barbara
<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

The code goes between the nabble_embed tags.

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Barbara
Got the first one up. Must have hit something wrong on the second song thanks Janet for uploading it.

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Barbara
"Blame My Absent Minded Heart"

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Thank you Barbara.   Missed my calling Barbara?  What do you call this?  You know I hated writing with a passion, and it was torture most of my career, but this is fun.

Hey, the trailer makes me want to see it again.  I must have seen it 25 or more times.  It is so silly, it gets me everytime; and you see more of the nuances in the humor, facial expressions, and ironies, plus it mimes Doris's actual early start at Warners, as "My Dream is Yours" did too (for the music business,) but with a different outcome, of course.  She was the reluctant actress, who made it BIG!  This movie made me choose to visit Warner Bros. Studio when I went to the Rose Bowl a few years ago.  It still looks a lot the same.

"Blame My Absent Minded Heart" is such a beautiful song, and when Doris opens her vocal chords for the first time in the movie, WOW!    And of course the second time on the train is absolutely awesome!  Pretty in pink, with a sleeply look in her eyes!

I just love this movie.  The opening title song "It's A Great Feeling" is a first for her too, and she nails it!  I like the movie version of this song better than the studio recording (above) because it has more of those background harmonies accompanying her, and giving it that old-time happy feeling like you landed in the "Land of Oz."  I love those harmonies of old, and just before she sings "Cafe Rendezvous," the warm-up group sings "Twiddly-Dee, Twiddly-Di (talk about cartoons)" which is awesome harmony singing too, but Doris's rendition of "Cafe Rendezvous" is tops.  Look how she is really hamming it up herself!  Incredible!!!  How silly!!!   Even better when you see the whole movie leading up to this moment, and it is the climax and turning point of the shenanigans Jack and Dennis use to try and get her "discovered" . . . which backfires big time in trying to impress the producer!  Unfortunately, the quality of this video leaves much to be desired.

Introducing Mademoiselle Fifi, opps, excuse me, I mean Yvonne Amour.

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Barbara
Nick I have always thought I would love to visit studios where they make pictures. I bet that was interesting getting to visit Warner Bros lot.
And that is something that they haven't made that many changes, because this movie was made in
1949, so that had to be almost 60 years in between the time when you were there, and the movie
was actually made.
Wish they had made more u tube scenes from this movie, would love to see again the scene where she was on the train singing. Dorine if you haven't seen this movie you can watch the whole thing
on line.
This is a scene where Joan Crawford makes an appearance. I heard she was offered the part in
"Storm Warnings" playing Doris big sister, the one Ginger Rogers played. She made the statement
"Nobody would ever believe that I was Doris sister. But I think fate worked it out anyway for Doris to be able to co-star with her favorite star anyway, Ginger Rogers.

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

I love "At the Cafe Rendezvous" b/c she's so deliciously 'French'...but I adore the ending with the pratfall and her shaking herself off b/c there is a glimpse in there of what was to come in "Calamity Jane".

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Some people may not realize it, but with this movie, Doris had another Academy Award Nomination for the title tune (Her second Nomination because "It's Magic" was her first.) Both songs lost to inferior choices (see the CELEBRATING MOVIE MUSIC page in our menu for details.)
IT'S A GREAT FEELING (the song) is a great tune and a happy one, too, that Doris sings deliciously.  For some reason, the ballad BLAME MY ABSENT MINDED HEART did NOT do well...there is no  explaining it.  I guess by then Doris was producing so much music that people had to pick and choose, and they chose her bright and happy songs then, instead of the wonderful, soulful ballads.

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Hollywood, we had a kid on our little league baseball team we called "Hollywood," because he wore a shiney flashy jacket.  But seriously, yes, I see a little Calamity there too, and a modern looking superstar of today with that hairdo under the wig.  Early Madonna even comes to mind, but she's not as much fun.  The facial expressions in this movie are awesome.  The words to "Cafe Rendezvous" are funny too.  I heard the song on a CD before I ever saw the movie and it didn't make sense.  But when I saw the movie, that explained everything!

Barbara, I am sure there are changes at Warner's but it looks very much the same.  Interesting history there.  There are YouTubes on it.  Joan Crawford looks too much like "Mommy Dearest" to be Doris's sister, she's right.  But Ginger Rodgers looks a lot like Doris, especially when Ginger was young in her early pictures.  Ginger had that tough New Yorker girl attitude in some of her movies "Golddiggers of 1933" and "42 Street."  Kind da surprised me!

Mike, the academies seem to be all political when it comes to picking the winner.  The real reward is in the work, and doing your best.  The cream always rises to the top given time, and people love the good stuff whether there are awards or not.  I am sure that is the last thing on Doris's mind, just some of her fans are bothered by it.  She probably could win an award for having so many YouTubes and photographs out there, and growing. . .

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Nick
Dorine, you have to get this one.  This is a great deal for $14.70, FIVE DD movies.  Or is this the wrong format for where you live?

http://www.amazon.com/TCM-Spotlight-Collection-Feeling-Starlift/dp/B001O2UTRW/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1360481575&sr=1-1&keywords=it%27s+a+great+feeling

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Thanks Nick,I entend to get the movie.Pity if you miss out on the story like now.I do like the bit where Doris has this dream,so Dorissy.
http://youtu.be/D2QPBPVJHT8
"There is nothing rougher than love"

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

fluffy cloud

Doris' lovely long hair was quite curled up at the end of the movie.Warners made a few publicity pictures for this picture.Love them.After that the short hair makes it's entrance...

Re: Week Four - "IT'S A GREAT FEELING"

Beautiful pictures Dorine.  It doesn't matter if her hair is long or short, blonde or black (the dream sequence, and Cafe Rendezvous) she was blessed with beauty, but it's the attitude that separates her from the rest.

I hope we haven't ruined the movie for you.  But you still haven't seen it until you sit down and watch it from beginning to the end.  I still enjoy it after even though I know the entire script.

What a lovely couple - Judy and Jeffery Bushdinkle!  Jeffery looks like he's been snagged by the Warner Bros. contract.  He's not ready for marriage yet.  We need a laughing "smiley face icon" . . . how could they leave that out?

123