my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Very nice! I think I've heard her before.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Beth Orton is in a lot of soundtrack music for movies and TV.  You may have heard her there Janet.  She reminds me a little of Joni Mitchell in that she seems to probe into the deep, is soulful, and cries out against hypocrisy.  But her voice goes well with pictures.  The second tune (Heart of Soul) in the video below (it's 2-songs back to back) is the first song I ever heard her sing.  It was several years ago.  I was listening to a local alternative music radio station on my Walkman while working in the yard.  I was floored!  Whoa!  Guess I was in a mood.

Italy looks nice.  Beautiful video.  I want to climb that mountain - the big tall one!
Galaxy of Emptiness and Heart of Soul

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

When this record came out and charted in 1959, I don't believe I ever heard it, surprisingly for me because I love both The Chordettes and The Four Aces.  Both of them charted the song, and I did not discover it till about 4 years ago.  And I still can't decide which version I like better...how about you?  (What a perfect Anniversary Song!!!)
IT IS CALLED "NO OTHER ARMS, NO OTHER LIPS".  Listen...........

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Kermit doesn't like either of them, but he likes The Chordettes better, less painful on his froggy ears.  I guess you had to have been there.  I like some of the groups you play on your radio program, but not these.

I am watching this movie on TCM while multi-tasking.  Not a bad song.  When I came of age, this stuff was over . . . what a jip!!!

Sunday In New York

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

I agree with Kermit!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

And nice sound quality too Mike!  Couldn't you have found something a little scratchier?

Kermit likes this song for an anniversary or "The More I See You."

Where or When

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Mike is MIA.   Anniversary songs continued.

This one is kinda cool, sort of like TV video quality used to be.  For the young at heart.

or for the old-timers - "The Shadow Waltz" . . . lovely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a7JyCM0fT8

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Not missing in action....just busy.  I have added a singing legend, Sarah Vaughan. I added a new set of songs to SAME SONG/DIFF VERSION. Also added a new Broadway show to BROADWAY BEAT.
Then I took off 50 songs (on radio show) and added 50 more.
Can't always keep up, but I do try.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Me too.  So much to do and so little time in this brief mortal span . . .  Priorities, discipline, circumspection, consciousness, realization.  Carpe Diem!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Here's another one for you (and Kermit).  This young lady was BIGGGGGGGGGGGG in the 50's. Today, very few people even remember her...what a shame.

AND ANOTHER 50's biggie:

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Watching a show on PBS about the 40's singers. Doris was just on. They also just had a recording of her asking for money for your local stations. She sounded great!

Check out this album John Williams Plays the Movies

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
I like some of Joni Jame's stuff Mike, I've posted her songs somewhere before?  An E.Y. Harburg song.

Janet, I think I have seen that PBS with Doris.  I really like Cavatina by John Williams in your video.  I recognized it right away.   I thought it was from "The Bridges of Madison County," but it is from "The Deer Hunter."  I saw that at the theater long ago.  I'll have to learn it; it doesn't look too difficult?  Just beautiful, Kermit really likes it!  Thanks.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
I love John Williams playing, but Miki DeMiki breaks my heart with her guitar, and humility is rare thing.  She seems to understand the spaces between the notes which makes the notes speak a nice language.  Qualities I need to learn - both playing the guitar and the humility.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

why don't you record a song of you playing something on the guitar, Nick...would love to hear it!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Thanks Mike, don't have the camera or microphone, never made a video, and I don't even have a YouTube account . . . and I need much practice!  I am not quite there yet, but maybe one day . . .

Meanwhile, we can watch, the one and only, Miki DeMiki from Japan!  Check out her cache of guitars and her tigers in the background.  I wonder what she does with the electric guitar???

This video has 62,183 views!!!  Let's have a nice round of applause for Miki DeMiki!   Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

We saw John Williams in concert at the New England Conservatory last year. He was outstanding! It was an honor to watch such a legend perform. My husband who is a hard rock guy was mesmerized by him.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

And that look of devotion on her face, too....she really does love what she does.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
You got that right Mike!  Beauty comes from within.  She is quite amazing.  You should read the comments she gets and her replies, and in multiple languages.  The way she plays - I've never seen anything quite like it - she melts my heart.  I am one of her fans now.  Unfortunately, I think she stopped performing.  I wonder if she was affected by Fukushima?

Her reply to this question:

Mr. X:  "Where did you learn to play so beautifully? You are so good!"

Miki:  "Dear Mr. X,

even when I feel sad

even when I feel lonely

because there's always the guitar here...

That's it. Thank you so much.

Have a nice week.

Miki"

"Amazing Grace" that rings true.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

I am more of a promoter, than a performer.  Guitar is just a hobby that I enjoy.  It connects me to a beautiful place, and time there stands still for awhile, then passes by so quickly.

In one of the video comments, Miki states that she has nerve paralysis in two fingers.  Very sad!  I once had nerve paralysis in my arms, hands, and fingers from an accident and resulting neck injury, but it eventually got better.  I think playing the guitar helped me recover, and lifting weights.  I have much to be thankful for everyday.  I hope Miki recovers soon...

This is really quite beautiful, back when Miki performed for audiences.  Very sad she had to stop.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Fixing the washing machine water supply lines and water intake valve with this song on my mind . . .

12345