my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

A lady I once worked with turned me on to Dianne Reeves.  Thank you Veda!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Notice how the trumpet player doesn't compete with the beautiful singing, but compliments it with a soft finesse, and stays out of the way.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

I think Doris sang beautifully with ANY trumpet, but particularly with HARRY JAMES and GEORGE SIRAVO. (specifically LULLABY OF BROADWAY, WOULD I LOVE YOU and PRETTY BABY).
The sound for the version of PRETTY BABY on youtube is awful.  I MAY HAVE to make a new one.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Sounds like you misconstrued what I said Mike, I agree that Doris sings good with any trumpet or any instrument for that matter, but the there is a difference in how the TRUMPET PLAYER plays with the singer; any singer.

Louis Armstrong knew how to compliment the singer and so does the guy above.  I personally don't like the way Harry James played with Doris - it detracts too much from her beautiful singing.  He may play a mean trumpet without a singer, but I do not think it is a style that compliments a singer as indicated above and my post under "Young Man With A Horn."  Could be recording levels?  I would have toned him down.  I think Bix Beiderbeck was a better trumpet player than Harry James too based on what I have heard.  Just my opinion.  That's all.

I liked "Lullabye of Broadway" and "Pretty Baby" trumpeting - I take no exception to that, or any other - just Harry James, and I have that CD, which is better quality than some of the compilation CDs including his trumpeting.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

I am really, really enjoying Tony Bennett's new book: "Life Is A Gift - The Zen of Bennett."  It's comfirming a lot of things for me.  I've met another kindred spirit - Doris, Joni, and now Tony . . . I highly recommend it for all interested in music, entertainment, art, and life.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Since he picked up the Grammy Award for Doris and has called in to her radio show every year on her birthday, I just wonder if he mentions her in his book?

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Tony and Gaga.  They seem to be enjoying themselves.  I think it is great to see him working the youth.  Me Lady should do more jazz!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nobody likes music, one would gather here - just crickets!

I do!  And I like to poke around on YouTube to discover and learn more songs I like; and by different artists.  I am trying learn this song on guitar.  So here is an interesting find. . .

Ray Bolger (I don't know who the girl is?) - The original "ONCE UPON A TIME" - From the Broadway musical "All American."  It's the entire song which includes the girl's part that is never heard in all the other great versions out there.

This is the YouTube poster's comment:

"Though his voice isn't as great as Tony Bennett's or Frank Sinatra's, somehow this original version of "Once Upon A Time" done by Ray Bolger stuck with me after seeing the original broadway musical as a kid; and I never forgot this song."

He's right about the voice, but it is still very touching.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

My current favorite is Pink, love her. She is playing Boston in December. But I would have to re-mortgage the house to buy a ticket!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Okay music fans...I have stumbled on some oldies that I remember from when I was much younger (about a hundred years ago). I have not heard them in years. Like Nick says, noseying around youtube gets you back in the groove.  Here are a couple of them:

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

In doing some research for my radio show tribute to Doris, I tried to find some examples of other people singing one of Doris' songs which end up being a special tribute to her.  I found several that are wonderful, like these:

HOW ABOUT THOSE???

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Mike, I like the last two the most.  "Secret Love" by Frank Sinatra, and "Que Sera Sera" by Jimmie Rodgers.

This gal does a lot of songs that Doris sang.  More obvious examples of DD covers by Stacey Kent on Kermit's Music Blog page.  I thought you would see them?  She is one of my favorites currently singing.  Very versatile!  Check the examples on the other page.  Superb!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Deanna Durbin just passed a few day ago.

Born December 4, 1921, she was a beloved Canadian singer and actress, who appeared in a number of musical films in the 1930s and 1940s singing standards as well as operatic pieces.  Another songbird that blessed us.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Beth Orton - "Mystery"

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I have terribly overlooked the amazing talent of JOSH GROBAN (OMG!)  Check these out:

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

George Jones just passed away a few days ago.

For George and Tammy. . .

They're Playing Our Song

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Here's a few of my favorites:

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Especially like the last two songs Janet.

Another  Beth Orton  I don't know what she is singing about, but I like the way she sounds . . . and her music.  I believe this is her latest CD.

This one is a little more upbeat and sort of an unusual video.  She's British.

12345