my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

not to worry, Nick. He was NOT a teacher, he was an A.....e!  Unfortunately, once in a while those kind get to teach but they become nonmemories.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Mike, he still has a special place in my memory apparently.  Then there was the 1st grade music teacher, Mrs. Cowan or Cowin?  She must have been about 100 years old - seriously; the Tweety-Bird, white-haired granny type, she must have volunteered just to play the piano.

So we are all gathered around the piano sitting Indian Style on the floor.  She is playing our favorite tunes and we are singing.  My friend Harold is sitting across from me, with his back turned towards the piano, looking at me, facing the piano.  He starts singing in a high-pitched munchkin voice to be funny, with a big smile on his face, laughing as he mocked the song.  It made me laugh; it was very funny to me, a happy 6-year old, out in the world on my own, and having a good time!

Suddenly the piano stopped, and Mrs. Cowan's piercing gaze turned to me (just like a Wesley Whinfield moment in Moonlight Bay:) "What is so funny?"  I didn't want to reply, but she insisted, and with the pressure on, I told her the truth, I said: "Harold is singing funny."  Harold is still chuckling.  She replied: "Harold does not sing funny!  And that is very rude of you to say that . . ."  and proceeded to chew me out for criticizing his singing - she didn't have a clue.  I didn't know how to explain - it was too complicated.  I had always liked her, but I didn't trust her after that.  It's all prep for the grown-up world.

I can still picture it.  Ironically, I think this was the song.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

i used to love the piano roll player pianos...i could never play the other kind lol

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Trivia Question - What Doris Day movie did this band appear in?

Oooo, Quadraphonic man - Far out!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Susan
With Six You Get Eggroll.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Bing, Bing, Bing!!!  That's Right!!!

Way to go Susan, you win!!!  Six egg rolls, and a half a bottle of warm Saki.  Hmmm. . . now I am hungry.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

You are both really good!!!!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Diana Panton has a special "intimate" quality in her voice that makes you want to pay attention.  One of my new discoveries on YouTube.

"Moonlight Serenade" is awesome!  But I can't separate it from "Moon River," but they are both excellent.  Unique voice!  Better than Adele or Nora Jones in my opinion, at least I'd rather listen to Diana Panton.  She does Bossa Nova too.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Of all the songs I have ever heard in this world, nothing tops this on the organ!

Not perfect sound quality, but I like the way he plays this.  Notice, it takes 4-hands to handle a "Whopper."

My earthly moorings are unhinged.  My soul enthralled is beckoned by the glorious sounds compassed about me in a long awaited heavenly processsional to see my King, in awe and wonder, as the reigns of this world fall away, and tears turn to joy.  That's my interpretation.  Pretty powerful stuff!

Walton's "Crown Imperial March."  It was first performed at the coronation of King George VI in 1937.  I must be British . . .

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

NO You just appreciate great music when you hear it; that part is not linked to any one country, thank God.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
You got that right Mike!  It's the universal language, and there is so much good stuff to choose from.

What can I do for an encore after that majestic organ?  I guess I'll return to earth . . .

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Lovely Miki DeMiki!  She understands the music.  I can imagine Doris humming to this on her front porch at twilight, like she did in the first season of The Doris Day Show.  Beautiful . . .

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Talk about organs, the town I live houses one of the largest organs in the world. In all these years I've never been to see it. I guess I'll have to do that.

http://www.mmmh.org/2_8_History-of-MMMH.html

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

As my mother would have said...."GET WITH IT"!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

My mother would say the same.  And where's the beef?  I want to hear it.  No YouTubes?

Boston is one of the oldest cities in the country, so there is a lot of history there.  Baltimore too.  In fact, there is another notable organ in Boston.  I love organ. I believe the largest organ in the country is in LA , purchased and reassembled from some country in Europe.  I read somewhere that Philidelpia holds that claim too.

This one is in Boston too, but a ghastly tune.  If it is going to be ghastly, I prefer Bach.  Matching the organ with the acoustics of the building housing the organ is key.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Don't you like Miki DeMiki?  She's an angel.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

what is not to like?  AND FOR BOTH NICK AND BARBARA, HERE YOU GO...

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Thanks for the tour Mike.  I like seeing where people are from.  I am sure there is a lot more.  Only been to the "Big Apple" and Washington DC on the East Coast.  I should see more.   Definitely want to go on the Dragon boats, and check out some of those ships.  Crabcakes too.  Go Baltimore!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Awesome song!  "La Soledad."

Have a seat and listen.  I think this song is about life?  Each of us on our own unique journey.  I don't understand the words, but I think I understand the song.

12345