my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

My close friends and sampodders know my answer to this one...Frank Sinatra said Vic Damone had the best pipes in the business. This song proves that fact (excluding Doris Day):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L4oT42ct5A

That said...I don't want to give short shrift to some of the other fabulous singers besides Frank and Vic.  I was lucky to grow up in the 50's when we took good singers for granted. And when I say good singers, I am talking EXCEPTIONAL.  Here's a short list:

 PERRY COMO
 EDDIE FISHER
 SAMMY DAVIS JR
 DEAN MARTIN
 JERRY VALE
 STEVE LAWRENCE
 ANDY WILLIAMS
 BOBBY DARIN
 NAT KING COLE
 DON CHERRY
 GUY MITCHELL
 FRANKIE LAINE
 JOHNNY RAY
 JOHNNY MATHIS
   I could go on and on....let's just say that is enough to prove my point!

Downtown.

fluffy cloud
http://youtu.be/FKCnHWas3HQ
Cannot get this song out of my head today.Londontown is actually so gracious to show some of Doris' pictures on big screen! I would like to see Calam for sure

Re: Downtown.

I always liked that song too Dorine.  Love how it first starts out.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

I don't have a favorite Mike - hundreds of favorites!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

me too...pretty obvious from my radio program.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

LA Guitar Quartet "Loose" Canon

Re: Downtown.

anialek36
VIC DAMONE - "We Kiss In A Shadow" beautiful song:) Petula Clark - Downtown wonderful song, I love it:)

"Wives And Lovers"- video for this song by myself;)

I love this singer:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xl2adopWXQ&list=LLUUO2Y6guaglUr63BUKtW7g
Julio♥

Ania

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

VIC DAMONE and DORIS DAY.....what a heavenly vocal pairing. Too bad it never happened. Would love to have heard them singing together, especially on the song they both had a monster hit with in 1949, "AGAIN".

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Thank you, and Happy New Years to you too Dorine!  I love Sinatra on New Years Eve.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Don't think I ever told you guys, but somehow, Mr. Nick, you managed to post my all time favorite Sinatra song, TIME AFTER TIME.  I wish Doris had recorded that one!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Nick
Mike, I choose those two Sinatra songs because they are my favorites too.  The first is quintesential "Chairman of the Board" Sinatra really belting it out, hanging it all out on love.  Hard to beat, and the arrangement.  Try singing along, and you will quickly discover how difficult it is to hit those high notes with any gusto.

"Time After Time" quintesential warm and fuzzy Sinatra.  My favorite too.  Such a lovely song.

Shirley Bassey does a nice girl version.  Maybe Sinatra, Mr. Piano Man, got the notion from this flick?

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

There are two others by Sinatra that also are the essence of his whole career.  This is one of them:
http://youtu.be/emAe6IClGys

And this is the essence of The Sweet 50's

http://youtu.be/oOdIcYpJkG8

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

even with Christie's visual directions, you can see I am still having a problem embedding youtubes

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Here you go Mike!

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

Ray Anthony -  Holy Toledo!

I purchased "Ray Anthony's Story of the Big Band Era" on DVD.  It was really cool!  With guest appearance by Les Brown and others.  It almost looks like Doris at the table in the front, but it's not.  There are 6-parts.  Les Brown is in the last segment.

Definitely view at full screen.  You have to slide the bar at the bottom of the post over to the right to see the full screen access.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

That is an incredible set of youtubes. Thanks for posting!
Janet: thanks for helping out with embedding you tubes for me; maybe one day i will learn.

Re: my favorite NON DORIS DAY record

In 5th grade I took up the trombone.  My next door neighbor friend, who was a year older than me, played trombone.  His grandfather was a famous former director of the University of Michigan Marching Band, so I wanted to play trombone too.

I was "first chair" most of the time in the trombone class at my elementry school.  One day, we got a new teacher, Mr. Thiopojopavich, or something like that?  I could never pronounce it.  So one day, being a excited 10-year old, and wanting to ask him a question, I said: "Hey you" to get his attention.  He turned to me, and said: "My name is Mr. Thiopojopavich, don't ever call me 'hey you!'  Now pack up your instrument, and go back to your classroom."  I tried to explain that I didn't know how to pronouce his name, but he was offended, and kicked me out anyway - it was a rude awakening.  I lost interest after that.  But I still like the trombone.  Bartender, hit me again.

12345