YOUR CHANCE TO VOTE

I am compiling a list of the most important contributors (vocally) to the music of the 20th Century, based on the votes of those on this website and the listeners to my radio show. Please take part and be counted.  FULL DETAILS on the MIKE'S RADIO SHOW page of our website.

Re: YOUR CHANCE TO VOTE

Nick
"Most Important" (significant?):  Here's a start off the top of my head of just female vocalists (Not necessarily my favorites.)

Billy Holliday
Ella Fitzgerald
Doris Day
Judy Garland
Rosie Clooney
Helen Forrest
Margaret Whiting
Ginger Rogers?
Kate Smith
Shirley Temple
Kathryn Grayson
Jeanette MacDonald
Shirley Bassey
Peggy Lee
Helen O'Connell
Vera Lynn
Jane Froman
Ruth Etting
Lena Horne
Barbara Streisand
Sarah Vaughan
Eydie Gorme
Julie Andrews
Joni Mitchell
Diana Ross
Cher
Dinah Washington
Shirley Jones
Astrud Gilberto
Mary (of Peter Paul and Mary)
Linda Ronstadt
Petula Clark
Nancy Sinatra
Karen Carpenter
Diana Krall
Patsy Cline
Brenda Lee
Mabelle Carter (June's mother)
Tammy Wynette
Dolly Parton
Loretta Lynn
Barbara Mandrell
Reba McEntire
Julie London
Dinah Shore
Blondie (Debbie Harry)
Madonna
Stevie Nicks
Abba?
Amy Grant
Sandy Patti

Re: YOUR CHANCE TO VOTE

Nick
-" Important" Female Vocalists list continued-

Etta James
Shirley Horne
Ronnie Spector
Dottie West
Janis Joplin
Pearl Bailey
Martha Reeves
Ann Murray
Lynn Anderson
Mama Cass and Michelle Phillips
Debbie Reynolds
Carol King
Donna Summer
Ethel Merman
Helen Reddy
Olivia Newton John
Pat Benatar
Patti Smyth
Juice Newton
Tanya Tucker
Dale Evans (& Roy Rogers)
Emmylou Harris
Whitney Houston
Anita Baker
Gloria Estefan
Mahalia Jackson
The Andrew Sisters
The Lennon Sisters
Jo Stafford
Marlene Dietrich
Helen Morgan

Re: YOUR CHANCE TO VOTE

NICE LIST, NICK...BUT NOW go back and pick out your TOP 5.

Re: YOUR CHANCE TO VOTE

Nick
Mike I am still not sure if you want my favorites of these important contributors, or which (5) I think contributed most significantly to the music business?  There's a difference to me, and each may be a different genre.  Jazz, pop, rock, folk, etc...  Please clarify.  Then I can respond appropriately.

Also, these are just the ladies of song... the list of men is probably twice as long.  I will get to the men after some thought and time to respond.

More lady singers I left out... I am sure I forgot some important ones.  Sorry ladies... I am only human.

Belinda Carlisle
Gracie Slick
Joan Baez
Dusty Springfield
Dionne Warwick
Natalie Cole
Debbie Boone
Paula Abdul
Britney Spears

Re: YOUR CHANCE TO VOTE

Don't apologize.  I am asking EACH PERSON to send in a total of 10 names...5 ladies and 5 gents. How you define them is up to you. However...The category will be
THOSE SINGING VOICES WHO MADE THE BIGGEST IMPACT ON 20TH CENTURY MUSIC...IN YOUR OPINION.  (I am not separating categories).  I have heard from over 100 people so far. You might be interested in knowing that these 4 are currently topping the lists:
  FEMALE VOCAL      Ella Fitzgerald and Doris Day (neck and neck) with Sarah Vaughan a strong    third.
 MALE VOCAL        Bing and Frank are vying for top position along with Andy Williams in a strong third.
When this phase is completed, I will start VOCAL GROUPS.

Re: YOUR CHANCE TO VOTE

There's a difference between my favorites, and impact on 20th Century music.  Hmmm...   Only 5 is not fair...

Ok, here it is Mike - my gut feeling of the moment.

1. Doris Day - Most versatile singer ever in recordings and movies.  Best singing voice ever!
2. Karen Carpenter - 2nd best singing voice ever.  Innovative Carpenters' sound.
3. Ella - Queen of Jazz
4. Diana Ross  - Motown pioneer and giant.
5. Joni Mitchell - Most significant female singer/songwriter/musician of 20th Century.

Runner ups.
Madonna
Barbara Streisand
Etta James - Queen of R & B
Stevie Nicks - Queen of Rock
Aretha Franklin - Queen of Soul
Billy Holiday
Mabelle Carter
Patsy Cline
Linda Ronstadt
Julie Andrews

Male vocalist list to follow.

Re: YOUR CHANCE TO VOTE

Highest impact Male Vocalists of the 20th Century - in my opinion...

All had relatively long runs.

1.  Frank Sinatra (No need to explain)
2.  Elvis Presley (The King)
3.  Stevie Wonder (Innovative, Motown pioneer)
4.  John Denver (I consider him a vocalist, as well as musician, & phenomenal songwriter, with huge global impact.)
5.  Michael Jackson (a phenomenal impact with youth around the world.)

Runners up.
Johnny Cash
Nat King Cole
Bing Crosby