Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

Ken Fougère
Hi Doris, I have one question for you. But first, In my opinion you have the most angelic voice I've ever heard. What a complete talent you are. You act, dance, THE voice and so beautiful too. My question to you is this, why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts? Please don't let pride stand in your way and disappoint me and your other millions of fans. Ken Fougere Boston

Ken Fougère

Re: Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

What a great idea, Ken...and nice to have you visiting the webpage.  Doris has been out of the loop in the entertainment business that I don't think that will happen...she rarely leaves her home, not even to accept major awards (like the Kennedy Center Honors and the Oscar)..so i doubt she would perform....but I bet she still could!

Re: Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

Ken Fougère
I think maybe she's too proud and wants people to remember her voice the way it was in her prime. But she must realize no one expects the same voice she had 50 years ago. We all just want to see her and hear her as she is today.

God, I'd give anything to hear her sing just once more!!

I don't think it's pride, but smarts.  Heck, give her a break, you drive a hard bargain.  She'll be 89 years old in April.  Tony Bennett (87) still sings and has been since the beginning, but sounds confused and incoherent with some of his comments.  Doris doesn't have to perform any longer and stopped long ago.  Sure we can all think of 50 songs we wished she recorded, but she recorded over 650 songs, what's one or two more going to do at this point! You'll have to get out your CD player my friend - like the rest of us.  I hope she is enjoying some peace and quiet doing what she wants.

Re: Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

Ken Fougère
Ya, I agree with you.

But I'll tell you this, I would have given anything to have had the opportunity to of heard her sing live when she was in her prime...

Nick
Meeeee Tooooooo!!!! . . . Lucky Mike!  He saw her perform.  I was born in the wrong era.

Re: Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

Ken Fougère
  I hear ya, Nick.

The good part is Ken, that you can see her sing in her prime in her movies which happen to be under discussion in the "DD movie of the week" part of the forum (ie. "Young Man With A Horn" gives you an idea what she looked like singing with the Big Band - Harry James in this case.)  Hoagy Carmichael is in it too, the guy who wrote "Stardust."  But I'll bet you already knew that.

Re: Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

Ken Fougère
Thanks for the info Nick. I'll check it out...

Ken Fougère

Re: Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

Me, too, Ken.  I am pretty sure she still sings to her doggies.

Re: Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

Nick
And sharp as a tack, and still sweet per her website voice messages.

Re: Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

Ken Fougère

It makes me really wish I could one of her 'doggies'

Ken Fougère

Re: Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

Speaking of Tony Bennett, he has a new book out called "Life Is A Gift."  I just picked it up and it is interesting what he has to say about the music business.  He talks about working at Columbia Records with Mitch Miller (like Doris) and the novelty songs he pushed.  He said they were good for making money, but quickly forgotten, and Tony fought against them.  I always liked Tony Bennett and his singing.

Re: Why don't you perform on those 1950's & '60's PBS charity concerts?

For some reason, which Doris has never explained , not even in her autobiography...she is frightened of performing in public.  Remember...she used to do it all the time back in the 40's...but that stopped abruptly when she stopped performing on the Bob Hope shows.
I guess we can chalk it up to her perfection...she wants things to be perfect. She was so talented that in most instances, she was able to give a "perfect performance" in one take, not only on film, but also when recording a song.
Consider her entertainment career...she left at the PEAK ....so her audiences would always long for more.  No dummy was she.
Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Rosie Clooney....all could have learned a good lesson from Doris. I have seen people walking away shaking their heads at concerts starring those three, saying "they should have stopped performing when they were still at their best."