What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Yes, I think those 3 pointers were the turning point. I'm so bummed and exhausted this morning!  My wallet is too! But at least I get something because they made it to the finals.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
What's wrong with these pictures...

Prep for "The 2014 NHL Winter Classic" - Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs

Jan 1, 2014, NBC at 1:00 ET - Who watches hockey on Jan. 1st?

I guess they are going for a record NHL crowd.  Wow... It will be cold...

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
I know boss, we could decorate the scoreboards...  Brilliant Igor... Brilliant!!!

I drove by it... it actually looks pretty cool!

Temperature High tomorrow =18 degrees... forget it, I'll watch on TV.

"Brace Yourself Ann Arbor for the Canadian Invasion..."  Nah, we're used to being invaded by people who are lost... Come one, come all....Aye!

http://www.mlive.com/sports/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2013/12/brace_yourself_ann_arbor_the_c.html

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
And the winner is....

I think it was the first time I watched a hockey game on New Year's Day. It was a great game, snowed the entire time, and the temperature was 10-12 degrees F... and it's still snowing now!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
The Guinness International Champions Cup Soccer is coming to town to play at "Michigan Stadium" Saturday Aug 2, 2014 (4:00 pm EST). International TV coverage.

Two Iconic teams: Manchester United (yay!!! me mum's hometown) vs. Real Madrid. I noticed the signs are up as I drove by the stadium today. Should be a huge event for this small town, rivaling the NHL Winter Classic, not to mention the regular college football events. New soccer attendance records may be set. My goodness! GO MANCHESTER!!! My mom would have loved this.

Manchester United

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Just can't get into watching soccer. I loved playing it as a kid. But watching it is tough.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
Me too.  But I might watch this one.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

I thought Christie liked Soccer? Oh Christie... yoooo whoooo....

Hey, it's sort of like England... rowing on the Thames.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
I watched it, but had to fight to stay awake during the 2nd half... soccer is boring compared to football... sorry, it just is in my opinion.  Fun to play, but not to watch.  However, they set a new record for the largest crowd (109,318) for a soccer game in US history.  The previous record was set in the 1984 Summer Olympics played at the Rose Bowl.

It was weird to see the stadium filled all in Red and White, never before had that occurred!  They actually laid in grass over the artificial turf.  My goodness, that's a lot of grass!  And there were NO marching bands, NONE WHATSOEVER!

Post game panel said afterward:  "This event solidifies soccer's place in America... 109,000...(blah, blah, blah...)"  Give me the real thing, with marching bands... 26-days to go until kickoff.  Go Blue!

Final score: Manchester United 3, Real Madrid 1.   It was kinda cool. One thumb up!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
We interrupt this program to bring you this important announcement!

All interested candidates please send your resumes to Interim UM Athletic Director Jim Hackett.  You know, the school with a new President, a new Interim Athletic Director, and a new head football coach vacancy as of Tuesday afternoon.  Only serious candidates with a winning record of excellence and values need apply.  Never mind, they'll contact you.  Thank you and Go Blue!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

My phone hasn't rung yet! LOL!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
They won't be calling me Janet... lol.  We are crossing our fingers for Jim Harbaugh as soon as he finishes his season with the 49ers... but who knows... mums the word.  They are so secretive!  And rumors are stirring.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
Place your bets folks...

Jim Harbaugh Head Coach at Michigan?  Well, I heard the betting was stopped in Las Vegas because of a possible "leak of insider information."  Hmmmm..... The plot thickens...

This guy says it's a strong possibility!    http://gregghenson.com/harbaugh-is-still-the-guy-at-michigan/

This one says it's "Fantasy Island."  This is hilarious!  lol

Yesterday...when Former Michigan Heisman Winner Charles Woodson was asked on the Rich Eisen Show... "Would you want Jim Harbaugh as your next Head Coach at the Oakland Raiders, or for him to return to Michigan?"

"Come Home Jimmy!!!"

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
As the world churns.... The rumor is: there's a $49-million contract being tossed at Jim Harbaugh... Mums the word.

Les Miles yesterday: "Don't film me or quote me, but neither I or my agent have been contacted by Michigan."  Reading between the lines, that means Michigan is waiting for Harbaugh to reply... and Les Miles is leaving his options open.

Three weeks ago.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
My Christmas wish came true!

It's pretty much official now... leaked all over the place yesterday.  The deal is done, just needs to be signed.  The Marching Band has been contacted to return to campus, Jimmy Harbaugh is coming home to coach Michigan Football.   Feeling alright... Yah!!!  Go Blue!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
Although the University of Michigan has NOT said a word yet, Jimmy should be in town today with an announcement and press conference tomorrow.  He could have stayed coaching in the NFL, with big bucks, and lots of openings, and potential offers.  The NFL insiders must have missed the interview last year on "Pick 6" when Head 49ers Coach Jim Harbaugh said of all the 12 places he has lived, this was his favorite... The kid comes home... great storybook dream comes true... not just for him, but for those who appreciate who he is, and where he comes from.  Take a look.

Young John and Jimmy Harbaugh...

Welcome Home Coach Jimmy!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

He should do well there!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Jim Harbaugh has arrived."  Right on time, I might add.  I heard Tom Brady is estatic!  He should be coming to town too... don't worry Patriot fans... just a congrats visit.

It's official now... Press Conference at noon.  Harbaugh to speak later at Michigan vs Illinois basketball game.  Ticket prices are going through the roof!!!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Here's the short version... he did an interesting Q & A session afterwards (2nd video below starting at 15:50 minutes in) if you are interested...

And the NFL pundits said he would never leave the NFL with his opportunities  they didn't understand... and Jim, after being offered to be the highest paid coach in College Football stated: that he did NOT want to be the highest paid coach in College Football or in the Big Ten... use it to pay my staff... the decision is from my heart.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
I saw the Patriots win Saturday, sorry Baltimore ... what a game!

123