What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
I thought we could create a topic to cover Sports in General since there may be a variety that people are interested in.  Also the Super Bowl is coming up this week, and the Half-Time show may be fun.  But first:

Who is currently #1 in College Hoops? (19 wins and only 1-loss . . . so far)
Hint:  It's not Alabama! (That was Football.)

Here is one of the star players shooting over Christmas Break.  He holds the leading 3-point shooting percentage.  Looks like a court just down the street?   Hmm. . .

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

I'm not a huge college basketball fan unless it's March Madness and I have money on the line.  But I do like the women's game. They actually play some defense and take jump shots.

Excited that hockey is back. I love the big bad Bruins!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
I am not that much into Basketball either, but my home team is currently #1 after being down since the 90's.  They look good, and I think one of their star players has ties to Boston.  Go Blue!

Oh, and the Wed-Wings Wule!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Sunday Feb. 3, 6:30 pm ET, Super Bowl XLVII between the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers - interesting matchup.

Both of the coaches in this game (brothers Jim and John Harbaugh) went to my High School.  Jim Harbaugh sat behind my sister in French class - she said he was popular, but was not the academic type.  Needless to say, that did not hold him back.

Both had ties to Michigan Football; Jim was a Heismann nominated Quarterback and John was an assistant coach.  Their dad Jack was a football Coach at Western Michigan.  Should be an interesting game.  I am torn, I like the Ravens, and I like Jim Harbaugh (the 49ers' coach) since I followed him closely at Michigan.  I think the 49ers might win?

John Harbaugh - The Baltimore Ravens' Coach

Jim Harbaugh - The San Francisco 49ers' Coach

I'll never forget the time Jim guaranteed a win on the road at Ohio State and a Rose Bowl berth to the media, the week before the game.  Coach Bo Schembechler was livid!!  But he said to the team: "God-----#$*@*@^!!!! . . . well, we better back him up amd not make him a liar!"  They won by a touchdown.  Nice going Jim!

Here's his big mouth in action.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Barbara
I think Terrence Cody that played at Alabama last year will be playing for the Ravens.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
I've decided.  I think I am rooting for the Ravens.  Jim Harbaugh is a little too cocky for me.  Sorry Jim, I think I would like your brother better.  And the Ravens gave Michigan Football their current defensive coordinator who is totally cool!  Go Ravens!!!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Certainly you all know that being from Baltimore, I would have to be a RAVENS fan.  They have played such good ball this past year that they truly deserve to win the Superbowl.  I remember back to when the COLTS were Baltimore's football, until the left like thieves in the night. It has taken a while for our team to reach this goal...I hope they win it!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Sorry guys, I'm rooting for San Fran. I can't root for Ray Lewis. In my opinion definitely not a role model for the kids.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

I just can't go 100% for the Ravens, am still torn on game day.  I hope Baltimore wins for Mike's sake.  The truth is I personally have no love for either team or Pro Football - just Tom Brady and the Patriots.  I think today I'm leaning toward San Francisco, with 2 former Michigan players on the team.  Jim Harbaugh is a little cocky, but he wins!  I think I will just enjoy the game whoever wins.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

I'm just watching for the scores. I'm in a few pools. Still wish it was an Atlanta/New England faceoff. Carol and I were going to have some fun with that.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Susan
Well since the Ravens beat the Denver Broncos I guess I will root for the Ravens today.I was hoping the Broncos would make it to the Superbowl this year. Maybe next year! Let's just hope it's a good game to watch today! Everyone enjoy the Superbowl!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

fluffy cloud
Okay everybody,I know nothing about sports,but I know about the Baltimore Ravens now,even if I don't understand American football...so,I know all about bikes.And the Belgian winner in Louisville!!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

I saw the most exciting Basketball game of my life last night - March Madness Sweet 16!  Michigan vs. Kansas at Cowboy Stadium, Arlington Texas (same place our football team took a beating by Alabama several months ago.)

So my Wolverines fell behind from the start after a dirty punch from a Kansas player to our star player's . . . let's say "groin," and dropped him to the floor in the first 2-minutes.  Kansas pulled ahead by 10-points most of the game, and up by as much as 14-points.  It looked like it was over and Kansas was dunking and slamming with swagger, Kansas fans were having a great time, but Michigan never quit.  Then in the last 2-minutes Michigan closed the lead, and on a 35-foot a"mazing" shot - tied it up to go to OVERTIME.  Then with the momentum jumped ahead in OT, but one last charge by a desperate Kansas team was thwarted by the Maze and Blue on their final possession.  Final Score Michigan 87, Kansas 85.  Awesome!!!  We play Florida next on Easter Sunday afternoon.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Great game! Go Michigan! I have them in my pool.

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
It would a nice Easter present if Michigan beats Florida today.  The game is about to start.  I hope they win and make you some money Janet.  GO BLUE!!!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

I love Michigan!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Yes, they are fun to watch!  Man, they womped Florida right out of the gate!  It was almost boring, but a great Easter Present!  Let's hope they are ready for Syracuse!

Highlights

Nik Stauskas (the UM freshman who made all those 3-pointers and scored the most points for UM) is the guy practicing in the first video I posted above.  The starters are all freshmen and one sophomore point guard - Trey Burke.   It took awhile, but it was bound to happen once they recruited the right players.  They look like decent young men, and the coach is special too.   Michigan Basketball is back!  Go Blue!!!

Meet the Freshmen - Pre-Season

Sophomore Trey Burke

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Go Michigan!

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Nick
One more to go . . .

Re: What's Happening In Sports - Any Sport

Congratulations Louisville - National Champions!  I knew we were in trouble when Louisville shot 4 three-pointers to come back from Michigan's 12-point lead at the end of the 1st period.  We are pretty happy that we made it to the final game - nobody expected it!  Amazing considering they are mostly freshman.  Spring football next week...Go Blue!

I'd better learn this one - my next-year (next week, next game, next lifetime...) song.  "So Many Stars."

123