WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS 1948

Doris Day makes a spectacular debut in "Romance on the High Seas".
She was fresh and displayed a naturalness that had not been seen on the screen before.

Audiences immediately took her to their hearts and when they heard her incredible voice, fell in love. The picture made her an instant film star and she received almost unanimous raves from movie critics. During the proceedings, Miss Day sang a song that Judy Garland wished she could have called her own, "It's Magic". This beautiful ballad was performed twice during the picture and became a huge, million-selling record for Miss Day and was nominated for an Academy Award as best song.

Ralph Mc/knight

Doris was a Hugh hit right from the start, and like Ralph said, brought a freshness to the screen that all the world was waiting for. And the song "It's Magic" shot straight to the top

.

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

One more. I thought Jack Carson was going to melt when she was singing this to him.

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

never forget the flip side of IT'S MAGIC, WHICH I ADORED.
With the Page Cavanaugh Trio, pro-Doris sings a great jazz tune....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAwfDJ3HXDw

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

Mike or anyone else, if you find any other songs from this movie post them.   I have got to get off the computer for a while. Thanks
This is cute.

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

I think this is one of Doris' best movies.
She had never been to acting school and didn't know a thing about being a movie star.
She really didn't even want to do this...just wanted to go back to Cincinatti and be with Terry and her mom.  Wow...she really showed her talents as an actress and her singing was wonderful.

Such a beautiful lady inside and out.

I know 3 other songs..
"PUT'EM IN A BOX
"I'M IN LOVE"
"IT'S YOU OR NO ONE"

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

You are so right Carol, I have never seen a gal with so much talent packed into her. Anything she set her head to do she could do, And do it first rate. Weather it was dancing, singing, or acting.
Even the old veterans that had been in the business could learn from her. That is why Michael Curtiz told her not to try and do acting lessons. He like her personality and freshness she brought to the screen.
Carol I wish the songs you listed were the ones she did in the movie, but there is not a you tube of them from the movie. Love the picture you posted. Now you know why I had to paint that one a good while while back. Was one of my favorites.
PS. Mike song that you left would not open up.

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

IT' YOU ARE NO ONE

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

The loveliness of Doris' natural talent has spread for over 20 years.When you look at this first movie,you cannot help but thinking "What you see is what you get" as Doris said to Michael Curtiz.She remained true to herself.

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

Oh great Dorine, You found the video of her singing "It's You Or No One. Do You know if
the other two or out there from the movie? Put em In A Box and I'm In Love?

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

One more I was just fooling around with.
Watching Romance right now on TV. She is such  a natural,
can't believe she never had one acting lesson.

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

http://youtu.be/NAwfDJ3HXDw
That is all I could find...

PUT THEM IN A BOX...

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

That's good Dorine..
Glad you posted it.
Love this movie.

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

Barbara
There is more pictures out there, I know. Maybe Ania will find this topic and post some.
 kind of hard to find, you have to go to the forum and then scroll all the way down to All About Doris.
Then click on Movie of the week, sometimes new people can't find it.

Doris is just plain stunning and gorgeous.

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

Re: WEEK 2 - "ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS"

I have told several of you several times that I keep trying to use the embed technique but it does not work for me. The song is PUT EM IN A BOX, WHICH IS NOT AVAILABLE AS A YOUTUBE. Someone with great technical skills (Janet,Christie) could take the movie and make youtubes from those scenes in the movie for that song, as wall as ITS YOU OR NO ONE...neither of which is available as a movie clip and should be.
1234