The Winning Team

Re: The Winning Team

Hollywood
I really liked this bio pic.  I found it touching.  I like the part where Reagan is throwing the ball in the backyard trying to get his sight back and Doris is touched/knew everything would be okay.  I don't think Doris thought much of this movie, but it's a really enjoyable film.

Also there is a reference to Southern Pines, NC which I've been to (partly b/c I live in NC) and it's a lovely town, so I smiled when it was mentioned.  Also, I think there is a billboard at the ballpark in one scene that has Holly (gum?) on it.  Since, as you can see, that's my name, I REALLY smiled when I saw that.  I felt closer to Doris in a way after seeing that. (Had to say it).

Re: The Winning Team

I always think of Doris as the First Lady when I see this movie.  Love it!  I'll have to look for Holly (Gum?) the next time I watch it.

Check out her swing.  It's perfect!!!

Re: The Winning Team

I've noticed she has a good swing too. I bet if she hadn't gone into entertainment she could have been a pro athlete in tennis, golf or whatever was available to women of her time. She seems to have that natural hand/eye coordination which can't be taught.

Re: The Winning Team

Her brother played pro baseball (farm team.)  She danced, did acrobatics, could walk on her hands, no doubt she was an athlete!  Look at the ease of her ice skating in Silvery Moon.  And check out this kick . . . and the big smile!  That is one of the reasons I am so intrigued by Doris Day - she had so many talents it is mind boggling!  Michigan Football and Doris Day - My two favorite spectator sports!

Re: The Winning Team

Nick
RE: Baseball, Doris Day and athleticism.  Looking back to "Moonlight Bay."  She had the swing there too, and that was a nice slide in to home plate, nothing fake there.  The snow ball fight and the carnival pitching booth proved she could probably throw in an "opening day pitch" better than many Governors, Presidents, etc.  What a wind-up - if you recall!

Chokes-up nicely on the bat too with her eye on the ball.

And always the lady!  But just look at that intense eye contact with the carney who is challenging her.  "Eye of the Tiger" baby - look out mister!!!

Re: The Winning Team

She and her brother probably played many hours of catch as kids as well as other sports. If I ever had the opportunity to speak with her I would like to ask her about her athleticism.

Re: The Winning Team

Nick
I would ask Doris: "What did your singing teacher tell you exactly?"

She got practice with Terry too.  We've all seen the picture of her playing catcher for Terry at bat.  Football, baseball, you name it!  Look at that spiffy uniform!  Always a smile!

Re: The Winning Team

Nick,
That's one picture I've never seen before with Doris and Terry.
It's so darn cute of both of them.

I do like this movie...she really stands by her man in this movie.

Re: The Winning Team

Nick
Carol, I think Dorine or Barbara posted it back on the old forum.  I saved a copy of it because I really liked it too!  I am wondering though, if she is on the correct side of the ball if Terry kicks with HIS right foot - which it looks like he does?  If he does, she should be on the other side or Terry's left leg could run into her.

Yes, she is good to her husband Grover Cleveland Alexander the Great and he loves her too.

Re: The Winning Team

I love this movie. Although Doris received top billing in "The Winning Team,"she was not the clear star of the film, Ronald Reagan was.(Ronnie) as she called him. Later in her career,Doris perhaps by the sheer magnetism of her personality and screen persona, dominated any film in which she appeared, no matter her leading man, whether he was a legendary movie star like Clark Gable or James Cagney, or extremely handsome heartthrobs such as Rock Hudson or James Garner. Her films ultimately centered on her.(Quote in part)
" from www.dorisday.net author Ralph McKnight

PS. Thanks Janet for stating this one off.

Trailer for "The Winning Team"

Re: The Winning Team

Another Clip from this movie. A lot of these old movies it won't open up to the picture of the clip, just have to click on the writing.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/483932/Winning-Team-The-Movie-Clip-Rookie-Sensation.html

One More.

Re: The Winning Team

Barbara, that second link you posted doesn't connect to The Winning Team movie?

Ronnie, I mean Mr. President, was perfect for this movie too.  Either you loved him, or you didn't.  I loved him . . . and miss him today.

I had a friend I worked closely with who once met Mr. Reagan, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  Way up there at Lakeview Cemetery, in Calumet MI, there lies the resting place of George Gipp, who Ronald Reagan played in the movie "Knute Rockne" about the famous Notre Dame Football coach, and George Gipp , the famous player under Rockne who became known as "The Gipper."  Reagan played the part of ND's star player who unfortunately was dying from pneumonia right before the big game.  It was considered apocryphal for football fans around the globe!  Thus the saying from Coach Rockne: "let's win one for the Gipper" as George Gipp laid on his deathbed listening to the game on the radio.  Another true sports story movie with Ronald Reagan.

Anyway, Mr. Reagan attended a ceremony in honor of "The Gipper" at the cemetery next to the town where my friend grew up, which was George Gipp's hometown.  Many Notre Dame fans still travel there each year to visit the grave too - it's a Mecca for ND football fans.  But my friend said about Reagan:  "He was so down to earth with no pretense whatsoever.  Reagan casually spoke with me while they were standing next to each other waiting; like I was one of his close personal pals."

I later visited the area too and made sure to pay my respects and see "The Gipper's" grave and family plot.  Anyway, Ronald Reagan was a good man!  It's nice to see him and Doris in a movie together - two fine people!

Re: The Winning Team

Nick, The link was suppose to be one from the movie. One where the coach goes out and talks with Grover (Ronnie) about the kind of ball to throw. Don't know why it was something else I took it down.
Don't think I have seen the other movie you are talking about "Knute Rockne."
Yes I think Ronald Reagan will go down in history as was of out great president.
I guess everyone remembers the story of when he first got to the white house and Doris found out he had left his dog at home on the ranch, Yes!! she called the white house and demanded to speak to Ronnie (Mr President)  and wanted to know why he didn't bring his dog to the white house, Ronnie assured her he was well taken care of and that he loved the ranch and would not be happy or at home at the white house. So like Doris to do that..
Dorine I haven't seen the picture of Doris setting on the ground with the baseball bat and talking with the guy taking a break.
Famous quotes from President Ronald Reagan

"There are so many! "Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

" "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

"We don't have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much."

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Re: The Winning Team

Reagan had kind eyes, and a good sense of humor, but he had the "Eye of The Tiger" too.

I read his book on leadership.  Also, I saw this documentary on TV that was excellent, about his life.  Fascinating story, and their are two parts.  You might enjoy it Barbara.  I did.  He was a lifeguard for 6-years and saved 77 lives.  I cried watching his funeral on TV, I was stuck for hours watching it to the end.  Truly a great man, and well liked in general, sure there were people who did not like him, but that is also a sign of a great man.  "An excellent spirit" as the good book says, a rare quality indeed.

Reagan Documentary - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsdAr8I9jyk

Re: The Winning Team

Thank you Nick for posting that documentary on Reagan, loved it. Yes I believe he will go down in history as one of our great Presidents. And a great man who loved his country and his family.
Hard to beat those cowboys, we need more men like him that have strong convictions, and believe in God, Country, and family values. Something we are quickly loosing here in America.

Hey I think America would have had a winning team with Doris as first lady along with Ronnie as our President.  (Sorry Nancy you made a great first lady also.)

Re: The Winning Team

Here's part 2 Barbara.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwKsvTVfZa0

Regarding the phone call from Doris about his dog.  I think it is safe to say he cared about animals.

And people.

Not his quote, but seemed to be his philosophy.

Re: The Winning Team

Didlee do didlee dee...haven't seen this movie of DD!!! I'll have to watch it some time soon :)

Re: The Winning Team

Thanks Nick for posting that second video, I will always love Ronald Reagan for being plain spoken and not trying to put on airs, and his deep love for his country. And worked at preserving America's freedom and not being afraid to stand up against other leaders who tried to threaten it.
I noticed in one of your pictures Margaret Thatcher ("The Iron Lady")  was with him, she was one who also loved and respected Reagan and his beliefs. This is a quote she quoted at his funeral.
 "I cannot imagine how any diplomat, or any dramatist, could improve on (Ronald Reagan's) words to Mikhail Gorbachev at the Geneva summit: 'Let me tell you why it is we distrust you.' Those words are candid and tough and they cannot have been easy to hear. But they are also a clear invitation to a new beginning and a new relationship that would be rooted in trust." - Thatcher in 2004 at the funeral of former president Ronald Reagan.
Was hard to watch his funeral especially at the end, Nancy didn't want to leave his casket. So sad.

Re: The Winning Team

Ronald Reagan was admired by people from both sides of the aisle, and from around the world, represented by those who attended the funeral.  It was a profoundly sad funeral service I recall.  I remember it was raining in Washington DC in the morning.

When I see "The Winning Team,"  I can't help but think about it all.  Reagan was more than just an actor in the movies; same for Doris.  It makes it an incredibly interesting movie today after the passing of time.

12