The Glass Bottom Boat - 1966

Hollywood
*sings* "All Aboard, All Aboard on The Glass Bottom Boat..."

Songs and Memories review:

A spoof on spy films, this one has some great slapstick routines and a great cast including: Rod Taylor, Arthur Godfrey, Dom DeLuise and Paul Lynde. It is one of Doris most popular films from the mid 60’s.

Jennifer Nelson (Doris), a young widow working in the public relations office of a space laboratory, meets her new boss Bruce Templeton (Rod Taylor) when he accidentally catches his fishing line on a mermaid outfit she is wearing while entertaining  tourists on her father's glass-bottom boat. Templeton, delighted to discover that the woman he "fished out" of Catalina Bay is working at his plant, assigns  her to write a definitive biography of him while he is test-piloting a new rocket.

Jenny's habit of "exercising" her dog Vladimir by telephoning him at  home (he runs around the house whenever the phone rings), arouses the suspicions  of CIA men. When she overhears Templeton discussing the possibility that she is a foreign spy, she makes misleading phone calls at a party at Templeton's home.  Unknown to her, a secret formula has been planted in her purse, and the real  espionage agent pays her a visit when she arrives home. Jenny bolts out of a  window and a mad chase follows. The real culprits are apprehended, and Jenny  ends up in her boss's arms.

This fast and wild James Bond spoof is not the usual Doris Day bedroom comedy of the 60s. It's different in that it has a bevy of talented comic actors  in supporting roles, who all have their moments to shine.  One might think of Lucille Ball in this part, but Doris certainly held her own.

Paul Lynde in  drag is sublime. He looks spectacular in a red bouffant wig and aquamarine satin  gown, and is even more glamorous than Doris. They have a "powder room" scene that is hilarious slapstick.

Alice Pearce recreates her Gladys Kravitz-type character from Bewitched" and is wonderful as usual. It's her last movie role, unfortunately, as she died too young.

A young Dom DeLuise has a funny scene that he does in pantomime, as well as the scene with Doris (ala slapstick) when both have their feet trapped together in a bucket.  Dick Martin shows up with some good  reaction takes, and the great character actor Edward Andrews is also in fine  blustering form.

For those of us who grew up with or watched the early years of TV, this movie  holds something special in the appearances of Arthur Godfrey and Dick Martin, neither of whom appeared in any other film of any major consequence.  Godfrey is excellent as Doris' father, and their duet on the title song is fun to watch, as is the short but funny rendering of "Que Sera, Sera". Martin's scenes are priceless. The extensive comedic cast, including the two early TV icons of entertainment, makes this a special film notewrothy for its historical value as well.

Re: The Glass Bottom Boat - 1966

This film, surprisingly, has become one of DD's most popular movies.  It is especially enjoyed by the younger generation who will keep the Day Legacy alive.
Although some may consider it slapstick (and in some instances, it is), it is that high quality of slapstick that became part of Ms. Day's arsenal.  Great fun.  And there are definite sparks between DD and her costar.

Re: The Glass Bottom Boat - 1966

Re: The Glass Bottom Boat - 1966

Nick
There is a Venus Project today and Rod Taylor is Australian... in case you were wondering.

Re: The Glass Bottom Boat - 1966

Re: The Glass Bottom Boat - 1966

Love this cute movie, although it is light comedy, Doris brings every scene alive with interest.
Has some really funny scenes in it, like the photo below.

http://youtu.be/NC81BmOSMGY

Re: The Glass Bottom Boat - 1966

My review of  “The Glass Bottom Boat”  (1966)

I <3 this film I could “run like a deer“!  If you haven’t seen it, watch it.

I hadn’t heard about this film until I became a serious Doris Day fan…which is a shame b/c this is a great romantic/space-age comedy!  I finally see the chemistry between Doris and Rod Taylor.  She has good chemistry with many of her co-stars in this film.  Besides the fact that they are some of the best “character” actors of that time, they probably signed onto this film simply to work with Doris.  Watching it is better than me describing all the cool things in it, which is already better described in the Songs and Memories review.  This is a Doris gem.

Sorry I didn't post this sooner.  I've been unwell.

RIP Rod Taylor:
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1055925|0/TCM-Remembers-Rod-Taylor-1-29.html

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-five-memorable-roles-from-actor-rod-taylor-20150108-story.html

Re: The Glass Bottom Boat - 1966

Nick
When I realized Rod Taylor was an Aussie, I understood the chemistry better in all of his movies.  I loved this film too; very funny.  Doris and Dom Deluise are a riot.  Another appearance for Paul Lynde and Edward Andrews, and another movie title tune for Doris.... oh, and her neighbor is the nosey Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched...lol.