THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Hollywood
*sings* "...with yooooooooooooooooooooou, in the Tunnel of Love"

1958  THE TUNNEL OF LOVE

Review and Photo from Songs and Memories:

After a hugely successful comedy with Gable, this one (co-starring Richard Widmark) did not match the popularity. Again, lack of screen chemistry between the co-stars was probably the reason.  The title song did make it into the hits of the year.

A 1958 romantic comedy film based on the Broadway hit by Peter De Vries and Joseph Fields. The film follows a married suburban couple who for reasons unknown, are unable to conceive a child and soon endure endless red tape on a path of adopting a child. The film is the first directorial effort from Gene Kelly in which he did not also star. Doris Day received a nomination for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress

Isolde and Augie Poole (Doris and Richard Widmark) have been trying to have a baby, their efforts so far without success. Isolde is a little uptight because of this lack of success, Augie a little uptight because that's his general nature. They aspire to the life of their best friends and next door neighbors, Alice and Dick Pepper (Gig Young and Elizabeth Frazer), who have three children already with another on the way.

But the one thing Augie doesn't aspire to is Dick's womanizing ways, despite Dick telling Augie that playing the field may make him less uptight, which Dick sees as one of the reasons why the Poole's haven't yet conceived. While the Pooles keep trying, they decide to apply to an adoption agency, Rock-a-bye, with the Peppers as their primary reference. When Estelle Novick (Gia Scala), Rock-a-bye's case investigator, comes for her first visit, Augie and Dick, initially unaware of who she is, make a worse than bad impression (Dick hits on her) , and she turns down the Poole's application right then and there.

Miss Novick does come back, deciding to give the Pooles a second chance. On Dick's advice, Augie decides to let loose with Miss Novick. The next afternoon, Augie awakens in a motel room unaware of what happened in the preceding 18 hours; he is under the impression that he and Miss Novick had a tryst. Three months later without having heard from Miss Novick or Rock-a-bye, Miss Novick does come by for her last visit as she is taking an extended leave from her job. Augie is under the impression that she is pregnant and is going away to have his baby, which she is going to give to the Pooles.

Nine months after Augie and Miss Novick's supposed tryst( during which time Augie has been more wound up than ever), Rock-a-bye calls the Pooles with news of a baby. Although Augie is nervous, he is also all consumed with the idea of adopting his biological child. The baby does bear a striking resemblance to Augie, a fact not lost on Isolde, who ultimately confronts Augie with her suspicions. Only Miss Novick can truly explain the situation.

Weeks afterward, as the physical similarity grows, Isolde becomes more suspicious. When Isolde has Augie's baby picture blown up and Alice mistakes it for the baby, Isolde furiously accuses Augie of infidelity and declares she is leaving him. As Isolde is packing, Miss MacCracken returns to make an inspection of the couples' first month with the baby. Realizing that the couple is breaking up, she declares she must make a report to the agency, but Augie pleads for a week and Miss MacCracken agrees. Desperate to stop Isolde from leaving, Augie then confesses the incident with Estelle. Just then, however, Estelle arrives to congratulate the Pooles and repay Augie the loan. She explains the money made it possible for her husband to continue his research in Australia while she had her baby girl.

With her husband's success at publishing a book on his work, she and the baby will join him in Australia. After showing the Pooles a picture of her baby girl and admiring how well the agency did placing the Pooles with their baby, Estelle departs. Isolde apologizes to Augie for her suspicions, then admits to feeling unusual. The Pooles then realize that Isolde is pregnant and retire to the house to celebrate.

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Hollywood
And now here is my review of "The Tunnel of Love".:

Who wants to call it "Tunnel of Love" instead of "THE Tunnel of Love" besides me?

I have a list hanging on my wall of all of Doris’ movies so that when I was going thru them, I knew which ones I had seen and could check them off after I’d seen them on Netflix, etc. which proved to be very helpful for this review.  I wrote “Good Ending but Lackluster” beside “Tunnel of Love”.  I’m glad I wrote that, b/c I don’t remember much about this film otherwise.  I DO remember being surprised if not shocked by the pregnancy talk (for the time) w/ the thermometer and making out on the couch in their farmhouse (with the mice).  Also Gene Kelly directed it and it introduced me to Richard Widmark.  I also remember the next door neighbors frequent fertility and the party.  This is the 2nd time Doris and Elizabeth Fraser worked together.

However, I can honestly say the best part of the film for me is the title song.  It’s one of the most rock ‘n’ roll songs Doris ever did (that I know of) and it’s a good, fun, catchy song to boot.  The car going in the tunnel looks like the music video to the song.  I REALLY love that song.  Besides the title song, I kinda wish that Doris would have talked Marty outta doing this film.  It’s certainly not her worst film, but even Doris (as mentioned in her book) could see what a stink-a-roo this one was.   Maybe that’s why Gene wasn’t in it??

Classic Doris wink.

Can someone please post a better copy of this photo?  Wait, why am I asking that??  I know you will.

P.S. Or I could just scan the photo from Doris' book?

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Nick
Richard Widmark has a long film history of being a tough guy, gangster, heroic soldier, cowboy, etc... In fact, he died alongside John Wayne in "The Alamo," and he is portrayed as an idiot husband in this film. I couldn't believe it! That's what's wrong with it in my opinion. I guess it's a comedy. Not one of my favorites, but it has its moments. Yes, the title song is wonderful Holly, and the opening scene, which I loved. I think my other favorite scene was the other song she sings: "Run Away, Skidaddle Skidoo"

Looks Promising

"Run Away, Skidaddle Skidoo"

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

By the way Holly, nice review. Here's two more rock'n Doris songs from about that period. Not bad, not bad at all for a big band, show tune, wistful ballad, jazz, country, novelty, pop, movie singer.

Two Hearts, Two Kisses - 1955

What Did You Put In That Kiss - 1956

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Doris's worst "stink-a-roos" (movies) are better than some of Elvis's "stink-a-roos" ...in my opinion.  There are some Elvis movies I just can't hardly watch, and I like Elvis.

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Yes Nick, you are right on about Richard Wildmark, Playing kind of a goofy husband chacter for this film. And we are so use to seeing him in the tough guy movie roles. He and Doris were a total mismatch for this film. Guess it was Marty's ideal again trying to get someone at a cheaper pay again. I only wished Doris had been more insistent with Marty on some of the parts he was throwing at her and just refuse to do some of them. But here again it was all about making quick $$$ on Marty part, and not wanting to wait on something better, and just pushing her in one movie right after another to keep the money coming in. But like in a few more of her other movies that did not have a great story to them, Doris as always, pulls if off. And she is what makes it worth watching.
Good introduction to this movie Holly. And always I enjoy Nick's thoughts and comments on the movies. And Nick I love the song you posted "Runaway Skidaddle Skidoo, was my favorite scene in the movie when she is dancing with (Augie) Even his name in this movie sounds dumb..And singing this song. The only clip I could fine with this scene in it, half of it they were speaking German.
Here is another that has some scenes from the movie

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Here is one I painted from a black and white picture of Doris for this movie.
When she dressed up in her girl scout uniform, wanting to make a good impression for the inspector that was coming over.

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Thanks for the compliments about my intro/review NICK and BARBARA.

I don't like his name either, BARBARA.  Ew!  I had forgotten it and was just looking at it right before I read your post and his name is just horrible.  I agree about Marty pushing her into this besides her being in it and the title song, there isn't much to it.

NICK: I like the novelty songs that u shared.  I hadn't heard them before and they are nice.  Though I think Doris could sing the phone book and does Rock 'n' Roll very well, these aren't the best examples of that.  Thanks for sharing nonetheless.

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

You were right Barbara! Thank you for your kind words, I enjoy your thoughts about the movies too... and the videos, and the pictures; especially the artistic ones you do so well... and all the others' contributions too. But I miss Fuffy's pictures and thoughts...

Thanks too Barbara for posting a better recording of the title song "Tunnel of Love" which is one of my favorite of Doris's Rock'n Roll songs. I liked the two I posted above. The other one I liked, from the SAME time period (mid-to-late '50s,) called: "Live It Up" wasn't on YouTube... que sera sera.

Tom Santopietro covers Doris's short list of Rock'n Roll songs in his excellent book "Considering Doris Day" (pgs. 208-209, and 213) if anyone wants to educate themselves more on the topic. I highly recommend reading the whole book; for those who haven't - it's must read for any DD fan. It helps to listen to the recordings too, since opinions, even professional ones, are subjective, and beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

I saw that German dubbed clip too Barbara. I think I'll post it anyway since the singing is in English, and you can see your favorite scene again... it's my favorite too... if you can get past the dubbing. Nobody talks like Doris.

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Intro and Review of TUNNEL comes from the reviews and intros on our regular Just Doris Movie Page, and Hollywood gave that credit at the top of her review.  Thanks for using what is readily available on our own pages.

I am one of the weird folks who actually liked this movie, boring story and all.  I agree there was not a lot of chemistry between Doris and Richard, but I think they made a good looking couple. I also think Dodo was perfectly gorgeous in this movie, from tip to toe.  It is another of those black and white movies that should have been done in Technicolor; that might have made it more popular.

Instead of just directing, perhaps Gene Kelley should have taken a part in the movie. I am assuming this was his directorial debut...I like him better as an actor.

Title Song and Skiddoo are both fun songs, and I personally liked them a lot.  Not an A+ Doris movie...but it certainly is a strong B.

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

fluffy cloud
Wouldn'd it have been swell if Gene Kelly would have played the husband?He is handsome,gorgeous smile,warm soothing voice,I love him allright!

I never saw the movie,but I love Doris's look in it her hairstyle was so natural.I am going to order some movies I haven't seen on ebay,from an English add,"It's a great feeling" is the first I will watch!

There you have it,and thanks Nick for not forgetting about me,so sweet!

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Nick
Brilliant Fuffy!!!  I like that idea!

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Sinem

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Sinem

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Sinem

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Nick
Lovely pictures Sinem!  You've been busy to find all of them.  I rented the Colin Firth version of "Pride and Prejudice" ... it is much longer... so far I really like it - 4 more hours to go.

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Sinem
This post was updated on .
I previously had found all these photos. so add easily.

Oooo :) I had downloned P&P, have my film archive. 6 episodes, I think mini:)

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Nick,I like the Colin Firth version of P&P so much better than the movie with Keira  Kneightly

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

Sinem
Dorine love Colin and 1995 version as mine. :)

Re: THE TUNNEL OF LOVE -1958

I think Doris looks beautiful in this movie but this is one of the worst movies.  The story line
is terrible.  I love when she sings and her wardrobe but putting her with Richard Widmark was
the worst.

12