THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

Hollywood

Songs and Memories Review of "The Thrill of it All":

Co-Starring James Garner, this flick was a great parody of the world of tv advertising. No music; by now, Hollywood producers have forgotten that Doris was first a singer and then an actress.  Following is a review written by Dan Pavlides, Rovi.

"This amusing romantic comedy concerns Dr. Gerald Boyer (James Garner), a very successful gynecologist with a wife and two children. Wife Beverly (Doris Day) focuses on maintaining the household and watching the kids.

One of Gerald's  patients, Mrs. Fraleigh (Arlene Francis), overhears Beverly talking up a new  product she's discovered called 'Happy Soap' - whose manufacturer just happens to be Mrs. Fraleigh's father-in-law, Old Tom Fraleigh (Reginald Owen). She introduces Beverly to him; the old man offers her $80,000 a year to pitch  "Happy Soap."

Beverly's career takes her away from her family responsibilities and causes a series of comedic commotions for Gerald and the kids. He comes home from work one morning and accidentally drives his convertible into a freshly dug swimming pool ordered by Beverly without his knowledge. The furious physician  throws a bevy of boxes of Happy Soap into the pool, causing the house to be engulfed in suds by morning (which the kids mistake for snow). The family maid  Olivia (Zasu Pitts) is nearly driven crazy with the events and has many harried  scenes of comedic frustration.

Directed by Norman Jewison, this thoroughly  engaging comedy was written by Larry Gelbart and Carl Reiner. Reiner provides the screenplay for the feature which turned out to be the last film appearance of Zasu Pitts.  Her passing marked the end of a long and successful career  as a comedic and well respected actress that began in 1917. "

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

Hollywood
It's so appropriate that we start on Doris' films with James Garner the week he passes.  I love them together on screen.

R.I.P. James Garner (April 7th, 1928 - July 19th 2014)

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

So sad!

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

Hollywood
I loved what Doris said about "Jimmy":

(Totally copied) From: http://www.dorisday.com/news/remembering-james-garner

July 21, 2014
Remembering James Garner

Carmel, Calif. -- Doris Day made a statement today on the passing of her co-star and dear friend, James Garner:

"I loved Jimmy. He was a wonderful actor and a joy to work with. We made two films together and just clicked from the minute we met. We remained friends over the years and spoke often on the phone. I knew he was quite ill and unable to talk on the phone in recent months. The world has lost an exceptional human being and I lost a dear friend. I will miss him so much."

My comment:  Lovers.  hehe

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

Sinem
:(

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

I first saw this movie in 1963 as little kid going to the theater with my older sister. I must have seen it 25 times since then, and again last night on TCM. I still laugh out loud each time, and get the warm and fuzzy feelings too. Doris and James Garner are perfect together. The kids were great, the housekeeper, the ad guys, the old advertising boss ("have a nut")... Everybody was great in this film!

There are so many good lines in this film... which must be from Carl Reiner's writing...The two ladies observing the soap fiasco: "She must have overloaded her washing machine. It says to never do that, but nobody ever reads the instructions."

Edward Andrews carries the film for a while with his antics of the panicky father syndrome while Arlene Francis is in labor, in the back seat of the chauffeured car, stuck in a traffic jam. Hilarious!!! More great lines, "Sydney, why are you stopping? Traffic sir. Well, do something, blow your horn!" And Gladys (from "Bewitched" and "Glass Bottom Boat") and her hen-pecked husband make a fitting appearance, as an hysterical Edward Andrews is searching for a shoe-lace and unused newspaper to assist in the imminent delivery of his first child... in transit to the hospital.

The psychiatrist, who looks like a young Groucho Marks, gives Jimmy some ammunition for psychological marriage warfare; and we start the roller-coaster romp and "the battle of the sexes." This is where the two really shine! The fights, make-ups, it's brutal, and funny because we can relate. Their expressions say so much. We want this couple to win, and they do.

Excellent "feel good" movie on many levels. As a kid, I still remember the first time I saw the car drive into the pool on the big screen... what a thrill for a kid!!! The fight that ensued afterwards is dang good movie stuff. Perfectly played by both Doris and James. Bravo!

I love this movie, and it is among my favorite Doris Day movies... and also James Garner movies. It pokes fun at the advertising industry, explores the challenges of the working wife/mother in its time... 1963. Note: Not everybody had a nanny/housekeeper, but Beverly and Dr. Boyer did. Nice!

After the baby is delivered in the car, the father Edward Andrews meets them at the hospital; hitching a ride with the motorcycle cop, because his chauffer (possibly intentionally) left him behind in all the excitement: A flabbergasted Edward says: "Who's that? (pointing to his baby)... "It's your daughter (Arlene his wife replies.)" In a state of shock, and tremoring exuberation he responds: "You are a GENIUS! Doctor, you are BRILLIANT! The baby is BRILLIANT!!! The baby is BRILLIANT!!!" As he retreats dumb-founded. Too funny!

Anyway, Doris sold me. I have been using "Happy Soap" and detergent since 1963.

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

Loved watching this last night! Love how Arlene Francis has the baby in her fur coat. Her hair nor her makeup get messed up at all! LOL!

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

Nick
Janet, thanks again for the "TCM James Garner Tribute" alert. I watched, or recorded, all the movies I could, and stayed up until 6:30 am for the last one... "Marlowe" which I had never seen before. It must have been the prelude to "The Rockford Files" as he plays the role of a private investigator. I enjoyed it, and have some more to watch. I love James Garner. Such an intelligent, level-headed, understated, whimsical style; always a gentleman with integrity, and capable of handling himself.

James Garner Meets Bruce Lee... From "Marlowe"

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

Nick
Interesting to see Arlene Francis with Doris Day on "What's My Line" in 1954, and later again in 1957; both before "The Thrill of It All" in 1963. Next thing you know, Doris is delivering her baby!

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

Hollywood
NICK:  I LOVE how charmed Arlene Francis is with Doris on "What's my Line?" both times, then they get to act together in "The Thrill of it All".  Ms. Francis must have been in heaven.

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

I always thought Arlene Francis was first class.   She was an excellent choice for this picture, and also very charming.  Edward Andrews was always a hoot.  What a couple!

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

Hollywood
Try a Cake of Happy!

Doris' really does handle the acting nervous of the first part of those commercials well.  I still prefer "Move Over Darling" to this film, but this one has grown on me...and there is a Von Trapp Child in it too.  :)

Re: THE THRILL OF IT ALL - 1963

Nick
Yup, the little Van Trapp girl. "Daddy doesn't want us to grow up, can he do that?" "Yes!" "Oh, that's mean!"

Nice Intro