THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

This is another dramatic thriller. And again Doris gave an outstanding performance, Directed by Alfred Hitchcock, Doris co-starred in this thriller with James Stewart, another film for which Doris deserved an Oscar. The song, “Que Sera, Sera”, did win an Oscar for best song and has become the song most associated with Doris to this day.Hitchcock made an excellent choice in casting Doris and Jimmy together.
The 1956 version of "The Man Who Knew Too Much " unfolds like a beautiful book, methodically, deliberately, and compellingly. Stewart plays an American doctor and Day is his wife, a retired singer. They are vacationing with their young son, Hank, in Morocco, when they become embroiled in an International incident involving a planned assasination. Their son is kidnapped and taken to London. Day and Stewart follow, where they attempt to get some answers and to locate their son, on their own, without the help offered by Scotland Yard. The film reaches it's exciting climax during a concert at Albert Hall in which Day suddenly realizes what is about to occur. Without giving away some of the intricate plot twists and turns, "The Man Who Knew Too Much" is like a breathtaking ride on a state of the art rollercoaster. You cannot help but get caught up in the plight of Stewart and Day.
James Stewart and Doris Day seem like a real married couple, so easy and comfortable is their onscreen chemistry. They banter and interact convincingly but there is also a strong indication that there may be some tensions lurking beneath the outer veneer. Both actors play their roles with expertise and Day, in particular, shows range and versatility in her performance, being especially memorable in the justly celebrated Albert Hall scene and in an earlier scene when Stewart informs her that their son has been kidnapped. The growing realization as to what he is telling her is reflected in Day's facial reactions.

The queues that formed at box-offices all over the world when "The Man Who Knew Too Much" opened in the summer of 1956, were a tribute to the talents of Hitchcock, Day, and Stewart, and to the public's continuing fascination with quality entertainment. To this day, the film remains one of Hitchcock's best films from his 1950s period. A movie that is well worth viewing.
Paul Brogan, The Doris Day Movie Page, Barbara Norton.

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

This is a rare video of an interview with Doris about her thoughts on this movie, She even sings for you. ♪ ☺

Trailer For  "The Man Who Knew Too Much"

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

After LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME, Doris continued to astonish folks all over the world with her compelling agility at dramatic acting, and once again proved that "Oscar" was long overdue. For 8 years, she continued to make film after film that entertained the world at large and helped to make her the #1 female actress of all time.
The two compelling versions of QUE SERA in this film helped to cement its honor as Song of the Year and cemented its Academy Award for Best Song as well.  The way the song helped to develop the plot is nothing less than amazing.  Hitchcock always knew what he was doing.  Doris and Jimmy made a great team, too.

QUE SERA, SERA   TAKE ONE

QUE SERA, SERA   TAKE TWO

AT ALBERT HALL....JUST PURE ACTING....WITHOUT A VOICE!

AND NOW...THE SONG FROM THE MOVIE THAT DORIS LIKED BEST:

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Barbara
Thanks Mike for your great input on this wonderful movie. And all the video's you uploaded from it. I have watched this movie I guess at least 15 times. She turn out an amazing performance as I am sure Hitchcock knew she would. Hollywood and the Academy owes her an apology for overlooking her so many times when it came time to hand out the awards.

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

I ADORE this film.  It's in my Top 10 if not my Top 5.  They were showing this film a lot in June/July 2013 on Starz Encore Channels and the more I saw it, the more I liked it.  It is so beautifully timed and well paced like a Shakespeare tragedy.  This Hitchcock film knows how to amp up the action (which this film does brilliantly) but also knows when the audience needs a breather.

I love Que Sera Sera…in the context of this film.  I liked the song on the album version, but thought it too hunky dory(sp?) at times.  However, I LOVE it as it’s used in this film.  Lighthearted song between Mother and son, then an emotional heart wrenching song in the key plot twist.  So glad Doris was talked into doing this song.  So beautifully done.  This key plot twist is my 3rd favorite scene in the film.

In spite his flaws overall, I’m happy that Marty Melcher talked Doris into taking on this film and the travel it required.  The results were sure worth it.

 My 2nd favorite scene happens to be the scream at the Royal Albert Hall.  You hear no dialogue, only hear the amazing Storm Clouds Cantata ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Clouds_Cantata).  Apparently Hitchcock didn’t like the dialogue interrupting the music, so he had it cut out.  I think it was a good call as it amps up the tension b/c u don’t know what’s going to happen.  I think Doris’ tears say it all.

My FAVORITE scene in the whole film is the sedative scene  “when Stewart informs her that their son has been kidnapped” (thanks Barbara for that quote).  WOW, what a scene!  It is so RAW and Real. You understand why Doris wanted this done in as few takes as possible and the results are miraculous.   I agree about the easy chemistry between Stewart and Day.  You understand in this scene that Ben gave Jo the sedatives outta love.  He didn’t want Hank or Jo to be put into more danger.  I would wanna be finding my child too, otherwise.

Her performance makes me wonder what Doris would have done with a classic play like Shakespeare.  She CERTAINLY should have been nominated for this film.  I even think it’s well acted when she is reading the cards from the flowers in the London hotel.  I’m so thrilled that Hitchcock saw something in her when she did “Storm Warning” that others weren’t seeing and kept his word to cast her in something of his.  What a role/film to be cast in!  I haven’t seen the first “The Man Who Knew Too Much”, but I can understand why Hitchcock said that one (the 1st one) the work of an amateur and this version the work of a professional.  Superb.

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

fluffy cloud

Doris on the Queen Elizabeth that took her to England

Doris on the set

This movie brought on the song Doris did not think much of at first,but what a hit it was!
She was (is) so popular in England they had to move to another hotel,because hords of fans were awaiting her.

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Thanks for the pictures Dorine. The one where she is signing her autograph for the little boy on the ship kind of looks like the boy that played her son in the movie.

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Sinem
I love Hitchcock's movies! :)

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Barbara
Hi Sinem, glad you found this movie, Janet will spotlight it when she gets back from vacation. Love all your pictures, feel free to comment on anything about the movie.

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Sinem
Hi Barbara :)

These are for you :*

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

fluffy cloud

love the pics everyone!I Always search for candid ones,here are some of Doris in London

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Hi everyone, love all the great pictures you keep finding from this movie. I didn't know there was another movie by the same story and title of "The Man Who Knew Too Much"All I got to say if Hitchcock didn't produce and direct it, it couldn't have been much. Must be why I have never heard of it.

Doris singing with her son in the movie

Another Trailer from this movie.

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Hollywood
I didn't know there was another film called "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1934) either until I was looking up more information for this film a while back.  Apparently the plots are somewhat different but Hitchcock did direct it even if he wasn't in the position to produce his pictures yet.  I need to see this first film. For more information on the 1934 version: The Man Who Knew Too Much 1934 film

And here is the famous quote from Hitchcock about the two films from IMDB.com:

Alfred Hitchcock told François Truffaut that his 1934 version was "the work of a talented amateur and the second was made by a professional". Nevertheless, Hitchcock preferred the earlier version, largely because it wasn't so polished.

I have a feeling that I will like the original film, but will always prefer the Doris Day version.

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Sinem

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Barbara
Wow!! loving everyone's pictures and post from this movie. Sinem I love that photo you posted of Doris and Jimmy where they have their cheeks together, such a good photo of them.

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Sinem
Yes, very sweet pose :)

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Barbara
Again great pictures everyone is finding. I found some in a file that I added color to a long time ago.
Kind of hard to find pictures that have not already been posted.

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Sinem

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Sinem

Re: THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: 1956

Again Wow!! This movie has only been posted about 5 or 6 days and I can't believe all the pictures everyone is finding. Good job.