THE BALLAD OF JOSIE 1967

Barbaraonline
440 posts
This post was updated on May 06, 2015; 6:51pm.

The Ballad of Josie is a 1967 Technicolor American comedy western film directed by Andrew V. McLaglen and starring Doris Day, Peter Graves and George Kennedy. It attempted to humorously tackle 1960s themes of feminism in a traditional Western setting.

As was the case with her recent films, Doris Day felt that "The Ballad of Josie" was far below the standard that a star of her magnitude should ever consider. However, aware that film is a permanent record and that her performance would forever be judged, she approached the part of Josie Minick with the same professionalism which had become her hallmark, and saved the film from being dismissed as just another western.
The conviction and energy which she brought to the role of an abused frontier wife with a small son (Teddy Quinn), made this innocuous oater a minor triumph. After the accidental death of abusive drunkard, Whit Minick (Robert Lowery), his wife, Josie, is accused of killing him with a billiard cue, brought to trial and is eventually acquitted by knowing members of a Wyoming Territory jury. Josie tearfully relinquishes her son to his grandfather until she determines what path to take as a widow with a young child. Independent and not eager to fall into another submissive relationship, she decides to raise sheep in order to provide for her small family.
Despite the fact that her town, Arapaho, is cattle country, Josie defies tradition, purchases herds of sheep, renovates a dilapidated ranch she owns, dons a pair of pants (cultural shock) and challenges the resistance of enraged cattle ranchers. Amidst Josie's plight, women's rights, Wyoming statehood and male/female relationships are material sub-themes covered in the picture.
Because no major male star was present for "Ballad of Josie", Doris Day took sole star billing above the title and Peter Graves, television star of "Mission Impossible", was cast as the male lead, Jace Meredith, who defends Josie against the cattle barons. Her major foe is Arch Ogden (George Kennedy, fresh from his Oscar win for "Cool Hand Luke"), a cattle rancher determined to organise and chase Josie out of the sheep business.
There are fights, gunfire, an all-out riot by the ladies of Arapaho who come to the aid of Josie against their own cattle-owning husbands and, eventual compromise with Josie entering the cattle business and marrying Jace, who is elected to public office. Producer, Norman MacDonnell, assembled a wonderful cast of character actors to support Doris Day. There was a virtual who's who in "Ballad of Josie". Andy Devine (his last film), William Talman ("Perry Mason"), David Hartman (Good Morning America), Audrey Christie ("Mame" "Splendour in the Grass"), Harry Carey, Paul Fix, Don Stroud, John Fiedler, Elisabeth Fraser ("Young at Heart" "Tunnel of Love") and starlet, Karen Jensen added authenticity to this period piece.
Doris Day had several good scenes. She clashed with her chauvinistic foes at a dinner invitation, proclaimed that she was independent and didn't need a man, used 'profanity' and instead of drinking 'lady-like' cherry, defiantly drank brandy, with amusing results. Also, in a showdown with Arch Ogden, Josie warns him that she would not be bullied and would stand her ground. The Techniscope photography was beautiful, the Frank DeVol score appropriate, Day's costumes by Jean Louis authentic and the direction by Andrew V. McLaglen was precise.

Ralph McKnight, New York, June 2000

"Fetch My Pantz"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9aW8BcV8z0

Re: THE BALLAD OF JOSIE 1967

Hollywood

This is now just one of two Doris films I haven't seen.  I like the "fetch my pants" clip and the publicity stills, of course.  However, I heard this film wasn't worth the time.  I'll be able to make my personal judgment when I see it.

Re: THE BALLAD OF JOSIE 1967

Barbara
Yes, Holly, this was one that Doris herself didn't like the script, and didn't want to do it, but I think by that time Marty was just throwing her in anything to try and make a fast buck, and we all know how bad a manager of her money he ended up being, I always said her career, even though despite Marty was great, but sometimes I wonder what she could have accomplished if she had had a different manager, and someone who would have gotten her better parts, I think her career in the movies would have lasted longer, but I am thankful she is happy doing what she enjoys, having a peaceful life in her beautiful home in Carmel with her animals. I have to say even the script in this movie was not that great, DD as always  was able to make it interesting,  she just has a way when she is in a scene you just focus on her and she seems to bring life into it. So if you are a DD fan I say you need to watch it.

Re: THE BALLAD OF JOSIE 1967

Hollywood
I've finally seen the movie and here is my review:

I was without regular internet access from June 2015 to May 2016.  When we got reconnected, I finally watched “The Ballad of Josie”.  I knew going in that this was not one of Doris’ better films.  It’s not her worst film, but considering I’ve seen 38 out of 39 of her films now, I’m inclined to say this is her 2nd worst.  I’ve been trying to find better words to describe how I feel since I watched the film months ago, but its been difficult.  At least Peter Graves and George Kennedy make it bearable when Doris is off screen.  The moments with her son are sweet, the raccoon is cute (probably thrown in to entice Doris), and the hangover scene is hilarious.  Plus, this is the most feminist I’ve ever seen Doris in a film.  However, I expected them to show the day to day humor and struggles of raising sheep.  Overall…I expected soooo much more than this.  I’m still mad at Marty for “making” her do this. Boo Hiss!

Re: THE BALLAD OF JOSIE 1967

Nick
I think "the lines" in the script were weak for such great actors in the film.  It severely limits their ability to express themselves in the characters they played.  I am no expert film critic, but even I noticed.  Doris has a great voice, speaking or singing... she just sounds good.  Give her good lines or a song.