THAT TOUCH OF MINK 1962

Songs and Memories Review:

That Touch of Mink is very similar to the Rock Hudson/Doris Day romantic comedies of the late 1950’s and early 1960’s. The big difference is that Cary Grant is filling in for Rock Hudson, whom rumor said was not available. A few of the supporting players have been changed as well. Gig Young is in the sidekick role and Audrey Meadows is the wisecracking loyal friend. It was released in 1962 and is the only movie Day and Grant made together.

When people refer to Doris Day as "the world's oldest professional virgin," they generally have this film in mind. It isn't that Cathy Timberlake (Day) is above a bit of hanky-panky; it's just that she wants such tangibles as a marriage license and wedding ring first.

Thus, when playboy businessman Philip Shayne (Cary Grant) begins actively pursuing Cathy (they met when Philip's limo splashed mud on her), she won't say "I will" until he says "I do." She is of the idealistic opinion that she can bring out the best intentions in him, even when he repeatedly tips off his worst intentions by inviting her to accompany him to Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Bermuda.

After many complications and misunderstandings, Cathy finally finagles a proposal from Philip. The film is essentially much ado about nothing, but it is so well-acted and attractively photographed that the audiences are willing to go along for the ride. The high-powered supporting cast includes Gig Young as Roger, Philip's  moralistic financial advisor; Audrey Meadows as Connie, Cathy's wise-cracking roommate; Alan Hewitt as Dr. Gruber, a confused psychiatrist; John Astin as  Beasley, Cathy's slimy would-be beau; Dick Sargent as a neurotic honeymooner; and an unbilled Richard Deacon as an all-around letch. An excellent screenplay, beautiful art direction and a stunning fashion show add to the film's charm. Ironically, this is one of the few films where Day does not sing at all, even over the credits.

Re: THAT TOUCH OF MINK 1962

Sorry Holly, I'm asleep at the switch. I will get the page updated for this movie!

Re: THAT TOUCH OF MINK 1962

Hollywood
You did well this time Janet.  No worries.

Re: THAT TOUCH OF MINK 1962

Re: THAT TOUCH OF MINK 1962

Hollywood
I love this video!  Some of the photos I found that are also in this video u shared JANET seemed “Behind the Scenes”, which they are, but I didn’t know they made a special trip to New York just to pick out clothes!  Cool.  I love seeing Doris’ beautiful freckles on show!  Why was Cary along?  For publicity or otherwise?

P.S. My review is coming soon.

Re: THAT TOUCH OF MINK 1962

For the second time in her career, I think Doris was teamed with someone who at this time was too old for her (the other was Ray Bolger).  As a result, once again, the chemistry did not come through.
I believe the part  was offered to Rock Hudson first, who turned it down. Like others who have criticized the movie, it set back the idea of Doris as an independant woman when she allowed herself to come under the spell of grant .
On the plus side, the drunk scene is one of the best on film, and Doris masters it. I just don't think Cary came up to her comic quality.  And no music....what a waste of talent.

Re: THAT TOUCH OF MINK 1962

My Review of “That Touch of Mink“ Part 1:

I like this movie, but I can’t say it’s one of my favorite Doris films.  It’s certainly not her worst but I feel it’s been over-hyped b/c of it stars Doris with Cary Grant.  I agree with you MIKE about the independent woman thing.  It does have its moments though…like the scenes at the Automat:

…with the Yankees:

…dealing with that slimeball:

...but especially in Bermuda (See Part 2 of my review)...

Re: THAT TOUCH OF MINK 1962

Hollywood
...My Review of “That Touch of Mink“ Part 2:

Bermuda:

Fashion Photos Part 3...

Re: THAT TOUCH OF MINK 1962

Hollywood
Part 3: Fashion of "That Touch of Mink"

Hey BARBARA?!  Did I do better on sizing the photos?

Re: THAT TOUCH OF MINK 1962

Out of respect for Cary Grant's long and distinguished film career, Doris Day, the number one box office star in the world, allowed his name to precede hers as they shared equal billing in "That Touch of Mink". She had been similarly generous with only two other male stars, James Stewart ("The Man Who Knew Too Much") and Clark Gable ("Teacher's Pet") at a time when she was clearly more popular.
I thought Cary Grant came across like he probably is in real life, a little stuffy.
This is what Doris had to say about working with him.
"Of all the people I performed with, I got to know Cary Grant least of all. He is a completely private person, totally reserved, and there is no way into him. Our relationship on "A Touch of Mink" was amicable but devoid of give-and-take…Not that he wasn't friendly and polite - he certainly was. But distant. Very distant. But very professional - maybe the most professional, exacting actor I ever worked with. In the scenes we played, he concerned himself with every little detail: clothes, sets, production values, the works. Cary even got involved in helping to choose the kind of mink I was slated to wear in the film." - Doris Day, Her Own Story.
But it did have some really funny scenes, Doris playing the Drunk, and Gig Young getting slap down the stairs and chase by the dog, and the scene of them going into the hotel room looking for Kathy and that poor old man thinking it was his wife they were looking for.

Trailer for "That Touch Of Mink"