TEACHER'S PET 1958

I have to say, I loved this film, I just love to see Doris play parts, where she portrays a highly professional person like she did in this film. Playing a college journalism professor. (Erica Stone)
And who better to cast her with, even though he was older. Was the great Clark Gable, (Playing a gruff city editor (Jim Gannon) Of the New York evening chronicle. But it seems like both were made for the parts they played. I would have loved for it to have been about 15 minutes longer and as they walked off together see how their falling for each other in the end played out. ( Barbara Norton)

This time Doris co-stars with Hollywood King, Clark Gable, in a great comedy which helped propel her to Queen of the Box Office Status. A very popular film, the title song was a top 40 hit.

James Gannon (Gable), the hard-boiled city editor of the New York Evening Chronicle , has little regard for higher education, having never attended high school himself. When Edna Kovac asks Jim to fire her son Barney, a copy boy at the newspaper, so that he will return to school, the gruff editor refuses, arguing that Barney will receive an education in his newsroom that is superior to what is offered by any university. Later, Lloyd Crowley, the managing editor of the Evening Chronicle , calls Jim into his office, upset that he has rebuffed an invitation to speak before a night journalism course being taught by Erica Stone (Doris).

Learning that Col. J. L. Ballentine, the paper's publisher, is on the board of trustees of the university, Jim reluctantly goes to the school that night to apologize. Before he can tell Erica who he is, however, she reads aloud Jim's insulting letter to her class, in which he refers to such courses as "a waste of time." In rebuttal, Erica tells her class that Jim is one of the "unpressed gentlemen of the press," a relic of bygone era of journalism.

Days later, Jim is still fuming over the experience and taking it out on everyone in his newsroom. He then decides to return to Erica's class, and, in order to show up the instructor, enrolls in the class under the alias "Jim Gallagher." Much to his chagrin, Erica immediately recognizes Jim's writing skills and praises his work to the class. Attracted to the beautiful teacher, Jim decides to continue his ruse after Erica refuses to speak to him when he calls her using his real name. Later, Erica asks him to stay after class, but an amorous Jim is disappointed to learn that it is merely to give him more challenging assignments. Hating the type of "think piece" Erica wants him to write, Jim dispenses his "home work" onto Harold Miller, a college graduate working the night shift at the Evening Chronicle .

Meanwhile, Jim begins his own investigative reporting on Dr. Hugo Pine (Gig Young), a professor of psychology and prolific author who is dating Erica. Disheartened to learn that Hugo is both brilliant and handsome, Jim decides to give up his quest for Erica's affection, though he takes her breath away with a goodbye kiss. By chance, Jim and his date, Peggy Defore (Mamie Van Doren), later run into Erica and Hugo at the Bongo Club, a nightclub where Peggy sings and dances in a scanty costume. Despite Jim's various attempts to show-up the professor, Hugo bests him at every turn, even out-drinking the newspaperman. Offering to help the inebriated Jim get into a taxi, Hugo then makes the mistake of taking a deep breath of fresh air and passes out.

After putting Hugo to bed, Jim and Erica share a cab, and a kiss, on the way to her place. There, Jim learns that Erica is the daughter of the late Joel Barlow Stone, the Pulitzer-Prize winning editor and publisher of The Eureka Bulletin . Suddenly feeling more ashamed than romantic, Jim leaves the apartment without saying a word. The next morning, Jim confesses all to the hung over Hugo, who advises him to tell Erica the truth before she learns it from someone else. Arriving at the newspaper, Jim is called into Ballentine's office, where Erica is waiting to meet with "James Gannon," in hopes she can convince the city editor to hire her student, "Jim Gallagher."  Once she learns who he really is, she chastises him not for the emotional problems he  has given her, but for the time she took away from her real students to work with him.

Later, Jim fires Barney, telling him that he does not want to condemn the young lad to a life like his, always excusing himself from rooms when the conversation enters a topic other than newspapers. Back at Hugo's apartment, the professor assures Jim that he is a highly educated man, having acquired his knowledge through experience, not formal education, and even grants the newspaperman an ad hoc degree in liberal arts. Erica then arrives and Hugo convinces her that Jim is a shattered man. Instead, Jim, who does not realize Erica is there, enters the room reborn, telling Hugo he now knows he is a good journalist after reading some copies of The Bulletin , as it is "one of the lousiest papers" he has ever read.

Seeing Erica, Jim apologizes, but tells her that he was simply being honest and challenges her to test her father's paper against the standards of modern journalism. That night, Erica edits her cherished father's work and realizes that Jim is right. The next morning, Jim is once again called into Ballentine's office, where Erica is waiting with the suggestion that she and the city editor co-teach her class. In turn, Ballentine tells Erica that Jim himself had just suggested that the paper do more "think pieces."

As the reunited couple heads off to lunch, Jim is thanked by Edna for helping Barney. In turn, he insists that her son report back to work the Monday after his graduation. While the newsroom watches in amazement as Jim and Erica go off together, someone questions what the two might have in common. Roy, Jim's assistant, responds: "If I know Jim, he'll find something." (Quoted from our own Forum)

Be Sure To Watch This Trailer Of The Movie ♥ ♪

"Teacher's Pet" Funny Clip

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Hollywood
This is yet another Doris film I haven't seen yet.  I know it's available for rental online, so I'll try to watch it sometime and consider giving a review on it.  However, what little I've seen of it, it looks REALLY awesome and fun.

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

I do love this movie...She is perfect for this role with Clark Gable and Gig Young is hilarious.
When my daughter was in 5th grade she was in the talent show for 4-H that was for our whole county.
She sang "Teacher's Pet" and won over all the schools that were in the talent show and went on
to do this for the state competition...she came in 2nd.

I love it when Doris gets to her apartment and he comes in for coffee and she starts singing
The Girl Who Invented Rock and Roll...I love that scene.
They just don't make them like they used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc7g96GYBx0

Love this scene..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iq92WKeFyo

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

I don't have this one either. It's another one I have to add to my collection. I can't wait to watch!

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Sinem
This film is one of my favorite movies. Love this movie. Because I like Mr. Gable very much. My two favorite actor and actress made movie together. I'm so lucky. I can see them together. Another my lucky film, see: That Touch of Mink (Cary Grant) :)

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

You need to watch this one Janet...it's really good.
One thing that I noticed when I watched the movie is when she is teaching the class and she writes on the blackboard..it's actually her own handwriting.

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

I will, Carol. Just finished young man with a horn for the new site. So I should get to this one in a few weeks I hope. I'll have to get my hands on this one somehow.

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Thanks Nick! By the way we have our own Doris Day store at songs and memories. Visit http://astore.amazon.com/songandmemo-20. Tell your friends too. All proceeds go to the DDAF!

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Like I stated in my introduction, I think Doris just fits this role to a tee, she looks and acts so much the part. A professor at a college that teaches a class on Journalism. Doris was completely different in this picture than she was in all of the others she made. Her dedication for the art of teaching was evident in every scene she played. Plus, her love for the profession of journalism made you believe,  that she was actually a professor. And Gable, (Jim Gannon) plays a gruff no nonsense city editor of the New York evening chronicle. As for Clark Gable, Doris says, “I could actually feel the magnetic force of his personality. He dressed in marvelous tweeds..There was something very affirmative about him, and a directness that suggested great inner strength.”

However, she said He projected “utter simplicity. Uncomplicated. A man who lived on the simple, down-to-earth scale. Very much like Cagney.”

Professor (getting kissed)

Off camera shot of Doris and Gable.

Another cute clip. The Girl Who Invented Rock and Roll

"Mr Gallagher correcting the Professor."

had

Hey Gable Whad'ja Put In That Kiss (Doris want's to know)

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Going back to my thoughts when the film came out:
OMG...CLARK GABLE???  He is old enough to be Doris' father...not  her love interest. Anything for money!!!
Today, I realize that Clark was King of the Box Office; Doris was Queen; they had to do a movie together.  And there you have it.
She played a career woman, teacher...i like that. After all, it was my profession for 33 years (read my book!).  She was stylish, caring, in a great part but alas, no singing...again. Well...not much. The title tune and A parody of "Girl Who Invented Rock and Roll" hardly counts.
The other thing...black and white.  Doris deserved to always be in glorious technicolor, even though newspapers used to be considered black and white, I still believe this one should have been in color. That;s my beef, and I stick to it.
Ok barb....lots of black and white stills from this movie that need color...go for it!

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

PettlesTake2
Love the film, as I do all of Doris' films.

Teacher's Pet lures us in with the title song.

After the title song the film brings us down to reality, but back in 1958 reality was not like it is today.

Teacher's Pet is a reminder of a time when Americans could pretty much count on having a job for a lifetime, and they went to work as if that was going to be the reality whether it turned out that way or not.  But then everyone wanted to work back then, and sought work.  A work ethic ruled the day.

I love films that bring back a reminder that there was a time when Americans had a work ethic, and compassion on the job in the midst of a company full of hard working people.

Clark Gable's character shows us the compassion towards the end.

Doris is always a pleasure to watch, because it's so apparent that she's having fun all the time.

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

fluffy cloud
okay,my little contribution...I do not like this movie.But as I have many pictures I mail one.I can't stand the part whereas Doris almost faints after having kissed "the man".

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Barbara
Mike, did you not see the three pictures I did in color when I posted this movie? go back and look.
Oh Dorine, I can't believe you don't like this movie. I Loved It!! I loved the story form, so real. And Doris looks and acts the part of a real professor, I admit when she goes down on one knee after first being kissed by Cable is a little over the top. I will tell you two movies that Doris made that was not like Doris at all was when she played a Sheep farmer in "The Ballad Of Josie" so not like Doris. Also "Caprice" This movie was just too weird and way out, maybe they were trying to copy a James Bond type movie and it was a total flop in my opinion.  But I really enjoyed "Teacher's Pet" because I could see that story happening in real life.

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Nick
It's Clark Gable man!    Clark Gable and Doris Day!  Perfect match.  Need I say more?

How about that Clark Gable was "da man"... man.  On and off the screen.  A man's man.  Strong but understanding... bold but vulnerable, principled yet flawed, but he learns from his mistakes... always the hero!  One you would follow to Hell and back.  I am glad they end up together at the end of the movie.  Beautiful story of two fine people.  Technicolor would have been nice too.

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Hey Nick you got it right!! Gable was the perfect match for Doris in this movie. The King and queen of Hollywood finally meet up, and oh wow!! We do have some fireworks go off when Erica finds out he is not who he said he was!! Kind of sounds familiar doesn't it? Remember that Rock guy pull the same thing twice on her.  Hey but look out and don't make her mad.

I think I might have gone down on one knee too, if I were kissed by Mr Gable. ♥

Mike here you go, I decided to do the above picture of Mr Gable in color for you.

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Nick
I forgot to say, he was always a gentlemen too and had caring eyes. I am going to have to watch a good Clark Gable movie now. Any suggestions besides "Teacher's Pet?"
That picture looks good in color Barbara. How do you do it?

A Song for the occasion. Is he too old for Doris?... Naaaah...

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Nick
There is something about Clark Gable I admire a lot. Can you tell?

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Sinem

Re: TEACHER'S PET 1958

Thanks Sinem, for all your wonderful pictures of this movie. Nick you know how I like Greer Garson also as an actress, have you ever seen the movie "Adventure" with her and Clark? It is in black and white but here is a clip they didn't have where you could post it and it would open up here but this is the Trailer.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/78249/Adventure-Original-Trailer-.html

Also the movie he made with Grace Kelly and Ava Gardner called

"Mogambo"

They show both of these movie a lot on TCM. If you haven't seen them watch for them.

PS. Nick I like the video of some of Gable's movies you posted. Make sure you watch "Mogambo"sometime.