Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Nick
This topic is fascinating to me... Songwriters and musicians are much like hockey players; they are much smarter than you might think at first take... and they are in touch with the intuitive. Let's take a closer look with the development of this big hit song from the '70s... about movie glamour girls. Who'da thunk it was a 12-bar blues song.

Beginnings

Arrangements

Add vocals, horns, mix it all up ... and Voila!

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Nick
Songwriters are influenced by those who came before them. For Brian Wilson of "The Beach Boys," it was The Four Freshmen, Chuck Berry, Phil Spector, Bach, and George Gershwin.

Let's ask Brian Wilson

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Nick
I understand Brian Wilson wanting to stay in bed...

Here's is the song by The Four Freshmen that Brian says influenced The Beach Boy harmonies (above video.) Wow! Hear the resemblance... sweet! If I start my songwriting now, I may have something by the time I am 80. OMG, what a song! I get it!

Little Girl Blue

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Nick
It seems that one should consider the great movie composers.

The Father of Film Music - Max Steiner

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Nick
I wrote a song...  A variation on the 12-bar blues... thanks Donald Fagen... and it doesn't even sound like a blues song.  Next the lyrics, and the melody.  Hmmm...

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Nick
And a Bossa Nova in process too... Yay!

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Nick
I saw the movie "A Summer Place" yesterday for the first time. I kept thinking to myself, this reminds me of a Douglas Sirk film, except no mirrors... and that Max Steiner wrote the song, and weaved it through the film; not Percy Faith... who had the hit record. Awesome film! I was spellbound.

Max's Version after long intro

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Nick
-Continued-

I saw the movie on TCM, definitely worth seeing this movie. Beautiful film, great acting! I suppose I am the last one here to see it... but I think you have to older to fully appreciate the content.

Video clip with the Percy Faith version.

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

I've been playing with the 12 bar blues lately too! It's fun!

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Nick
Yes, 12-bar blues... I like a patient teacher myself. This guy reminds me of my Drawing II professor in college. But you don't want to test his patience.

Good backing tracks available on his website, but no Bossa Nova! http://davesguitarplanet.com/

I didn't know Bert Kaempfert wrote "Strangers In The Night." Hmmmm...

Re: Songwriting and Arrangements - Behind the Tunes

Nick
Hit song-writing has to resonate with the everyday Joe/Jane listener, especially the Jane... the deeper it connects, the bigger the hit! This one was a huge hit for Colbie Caillat and it's called "Falling For You." It has all the elements of a big hit! Plus, it is arranged beautifully and has the right singer.

Here's the proof... This YouTube had only 31 views, however, it is personal family stuff posted by a man who has only 1-video... this one. He picked this song to help explain: "What marriage looks like after 31 years." Those are his words. That says a lot! Of course the other videos of this song have millions of views, but I liked this one. Now that is good "hit" songwriting, especially for this century.

"Falling For You" - Colbie Caillet