STAR LIFT 1951

Publicity Poster for the movie

This is the ONLY film in which Doris appeared as herself. While she was on the screen (in the first half of the movie), it was pretty good. Once she was gone, the movie was a disappointment for Day fans.  There were, however, some good song sequences (by Doris alone and with others).  The story:

At a San Francisco movie theater, just before the premiere of a new film, Air Force Sgt. Mike Nolan talks his way backstage where celebrities have congregated, claiming that the shy friend with him, Cpl. Rick Williams, is the hometown boyfriend of Nell Wayne, the film's rising star. In truth, the embarrassed Rick has never met Nell, although his father was the Wayne family's dentist and Rick drank many chocolate malts at her father's soda shop.

Movie stars Doris Day and Ruth Roman see through Mike's story, but invite Mike and Rick to stay, and when Nell shows up, she also generously overlooks their intrusion. After Mike tells them that they must leave that evening, implying that he and Rick are being sent to the Korean front to fight, the women decide to drive to Travis Air Force Base to see them off. Dressed for their premiere, the women are passed into the base by a chaplain and introduced to Col. Callan, who gives them a tour. Upon seeing the terminal where servicemen spend long, stressful hours waiting for a plane to take them to the war, Doris mounts a makeshift stage and entertains the men by singing "S'Wonderful" along with a jukebox.

 Before Mike and Rick leave, Nell gives Rick a good luck piece that her mother gave her father during World War I.  Ruth, Doris and Nell cancel their appearance at the premiere to cheer up incoming wounded men. Afterward, Ruth promises Callan that she will encourage other celebrities to visit the base and its hospital, and he offers to arrange for an Air Force plane to fly them up from Los Angeles. The next day at the Warner Bros. studio, Ruth urges a studio executive to have a plane full of celebrities ready to fly to the base the next morning, but gets nowhere with the idea, until Louella Parsons, a celebrity news reporter, reports in her column that Nell missed her first premiere to see her hometown boyfriend leave for the war front. The next day, many stars arrive at the Air Force base, ready to cheer up and entertain, and Nell and Ruth are waiting near the runway to welcome the incoming plane. Mike and Rick, who are part of a crew that routinely flies between Honolulu and the base, have also returned. After seeing Rick and then reading Louella's article, Nell presumes that he has intentionally taken advantage of her. Feeling like a fraud, Rick convinces Callan to arrange for his transfer to a combat unit.

 Later, after Warner Bros. executives and Callan pool celebrities and airplanes to provide weekly entertainment for the servicemen, Louella has Nell and Rick pose for press pictures, as their "romance" was the impetus for the program, which has been named "Operation Starlift." Because of the publicity and the good intentions of the program, Rick and Nell feel they must keep up the pretense of a romance. Back at the studio, an executive tells Nell that he is scheduling a big show for the troops at Travis, but to his surprise, she declines to participate.

Soon Rick and Nell discover that their parents have read about them in Louella's column and they now feel compelled to keep up the false romance at home, as well, although they are quite resentful of each other and privately quarrel. Then Nell learns that Rick has been ordered to overseas duty and takes the Starlift plane to the base, hoping to apologize to him before he leaves. As the other stars perform in the big show and entertain hospital patients, Nell waits for Rick with the sympathetic Mike, who explains that he, not Rick, made up the story about their romance. When Rick shows up, she makes him a chocolate malt the way her father used to, and they share it after settling their differences. As Nell is expected on the set the next day, she plans to return to Los Angeles with the other performers. To delay the Starlift plane's departure, Mike then removes its carburetor, so that Nell can be with Rick until he leaves for Korea.

THE SONGS:

One really "nice" song sequence, is "You're Gonna Lose your Gal" which Doris and Gordon MacRae sing, as themselves:

MANY of the other songs can be seen by viewing them under the movie title on youtube.com. The person who put them there has disabled embedding.  Here are some links to those songs:

" 'S WONDERFUL "   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MD_UN8j59o

"YOU OUGHTA BE IN PICTURES":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_utuA1Iq1A

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Well, that just about covers it all Mike!

Next movie!

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

love this picture

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Just kidding . . .

But what else is there to say?

Uhmmmmmmmm . . . I liked the "S'Wonderful"  scene the best.  The "Lose Your Gal" song is a little different, sort of an upbeat "Blues" song - sort of Hoagy Carmichael-ish?  I like it!

I forgot that she sings one of my favorites in this movie which she later recorded on "Day By Night" - "You Do Something To Me."  At least a somewhat patriotic film, when the country seemed to be behind the Armed Forces as a whole.  Oh, how things have changed since then, even though I wasn't born yet, but was getting ready to enter this world a few years later.

I love this version from the "Day By Night" album.  Really excellent!

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

The only time this movie ever really comes to life as Mike says, is when Doris Day is on screen. Sadly, she disappears after about 30 minutes. Her musical numbers, " 'S Wonderful" and "You Ought to Be in Pictures" are the film's high points, and she delivers them as only she can. Day just lights up the screen and proves once more how underrated she is as a vocalist. She's also charming in her small scene visiting Jack Larson, who plays a hospital patient.
Love it when she walks up to his bed and he is on the phone talking to his brother and his brother does not believe it is Doris Day he is talking to, she takes the phone and starts singing "Lullaby Of Broadway."

Doris Singing " You Ought To Be In Pictures," and "You Do Somethig To Me."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_utuA1Iq1A

Trailer for "Starlift"

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Haven't had the chance to see this one. It's on my 'to watch' list...although I don't have my expectations too high for this one.

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

It's not that great except for the first 30-45 min. that Doris is in it and then I totally lost interest.

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Actually, to be fair to the film.  It was a way for WB to show off some of their stable of stars. The Gene Nelson dance was tops, and there were some other good moments as well. It just is not a pure Doris movie...but it does have redeeming qualities, and the story is kind of cute.

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Barbara
Yes, and the redeeming qualities was Doris Day.

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Nick
I liked the scene where Doris and the girls were driving around the base in the convertible in their party dresses.  Can't find no pictures.  Maybe Dorine can find one?

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

I totally agree with you mikeydv: This film is ALL about Warner Bros showing off their stable of stars (Jane Wyman can sing??!  I didn't know that before I saw this picture).  I think b/c I figured that it was a showcase about 30 minutes in, it was easier to take.  It took on further significance for me when I read Doris' book when it talks about her touring with Bob Hope.  Starlift gives me a glimpse as to what that must have been like, as in when she went to the hospitals and sang, etc.  It's been so long since I've seen Starlift that Doris, Gordan MacRae and Jane Wyman are about all I remember of it.   Though it's certainly not my favorite Doris film, it has it's moments.

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Now that I've posted my comment, I'm with you Nick.  It's on to the next one.  Administrators, bring on "The Winning Team"!(?)  Batter up!

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Nick
I had the same thought Hollywood:  "Jane Wyman singing?  When did she learn to sing?"  That's got to be dubbed?  I love Jane Wyman's acting, but hmmmm . . .

I guess she did sing, and dance.  I never saw that side before . . . I am impressed.  So much to learn . . .

Starlift?

I think there was a decision to NOT do a movie every week, but I don't know how long it will be until the next one is posted.  One a month?  Suggestion, I wouldn't spend a month on this one.

Hollywood, Calamity Jane was the first movie we discussed, but you can still comment on it or any of the others.  We'll still see new comments.

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Barbara
Maybe Holly and Nick have a point about not staying on this movie for a whole month, since there is not much more to be said, and all the pictures and music has already been posted. I will start to work on "The Winning Team" and Janet can post it when she gets some extra time, but as hard as she works I don't know when that would be.
Only thing, this next movie only has one song in it, I think we get spoiled to Doris wonderful singing.
But I do like the story even though it centers around Grover Cleveland (The famous baseball star) played my Ronald Reagan. Hey I didn't know Jane Wyman could sing either.
I remember the first movie I watched that I loved Jane Wyman in, was with Rock Hudson "Magnificent Obsession" also "All That Heaven Allows."These were two great movies and they never play them anymore.

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Just send me what you want posted. I'll get it done for you!

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

I just created the topic for you. So post away!

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Hollywood
I seem to keep stepping on toes and I don't mean to.  I'm sorry, I know I'm not an admin.  I was just under the impression that we were staying on a film for a week and were gonna go through all of them before the end of the year.  This is why I've been so insistent on moving on to the next, b/c there are some I'm dying to comment on here.  Of course I probably missed the thread where it was mentioned how long we would keep a film up had changed.  I'll say this: I think it's great to stay on a film that we all like/is popular and getting a lot of comments for more than a week, like maybe two weeks.  However, beyond Calamity Jane, which is rightfully getting special attention in another section due to the 60th Anniversary, I don't think we should dwell on any other film for a whole month.  What do you think?

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

No problem Hollywood, we decided to increase the time to monthly because many of us are so busy that we can't keep up on a weekly basis. I have no problem with shortening that time when there is a movie such as Starlift that not many have interest in. Let's just see how it goes.

Re: STAR LIFT 1951

Barbara, I bought "Magnificent Obsession" and "All That Heaven Allows" on DVD, part of the Criterion Collection in beautiful color!  Well worth buying a copy.

Also, maybe you could please change the title of the Calamity Jane  topic to indicate in the title that it is Calamity Jane.  All it says currently is: Doris Day Movie of the Week.  I'd do it, but I can't access it since you started the post.  All you have to do is "edit" the 1st post and you can edit the title too.  That way others can see that we covered that movie.

When I think of Jane Wyman I think of Ronald Reagan, and the next movie is Ronny.  Is that a coincidence or what?

Another Jane Wyman song.  This YouTube Title is called: Wow Man Is That Wyman?  Apparently, we are not the only ones surprised to see her singing.  Looks like a song for Marilyn Monroe.  Hey, that's Marjorie's dad!  Wesley was right about the drinking . . .

12