SEND ME NO FLOWERS 1964

SEND ME NO FLOWERS
Doris Day, Rock Hudson, and Tony Randall had made two enormously successful sex comedies, Pillow Talk (1959) and Lover Come Back (1961). In both, Hudson plays a sexy charmer who tries to maneuver prim virgin Day into bed, and ends up being maneuvered into matrimony instead, as bemused and befuddled pal Randall looks on. The formula varied only in the details of wardrobe, decor, and occupations.

In the final teaming of the trio, Send Me No Flowers (1964), the formula changed in one important aspect. Randall is still bemused and befuddled, but Day and Hudson are now happily married with Day playing understanding wife to hypochondriac Hudson. Instead of the mistaken-identity plot contrivances of their previous films, the storyline this time turns on other kinds of misunderstandings. Hudson overhears his doctor's conversation about a terminally ill man, and believes he's the one who's dying. Day witnesses an innocent embrace, and believes her husband is lying about having a terminal condition to cover up an adulterous affair.

What hasn't changed is the extraordinary chemistry among the three leads. As Day wrote in her autobiography, "Tony, Rock and I were made for each other and it was hard to tell sometimes where life left off and make believe began." The three loved working together, were attuned to each other, and it shows onscreen. For Send Me No Flowers, the emphasis was on the comedy, not sexual tension since the two leads were playing suburbanites, not hip, urban singles.

Hudson, who had not done comedy prior to Pillow Talk, was becoming increasingly comfortable with it, and he plays his illness-obsessed character adroitly. Both Day and Randall, who were seasoned comedy pros, have delightful slapstick turns in Send Me No Flowers: Day in a scene where she locks herself out of the house when she goes to get the newspaper and milk, and Randall in his ever-escalating drunk scenes. Adding to the comedy is Paul Lynde, as an aggressive cemetery salesman. But predictably, the critics missed the sexual innuendo, even though they had praise for the skillful work of the stars. "Send Me No Flowers doesn't carry the same voltage, either in laughs or originality, as Doris Day and Rock Hudson's two previous entries," Variety lamented. Maybe not, but the film still did very well at the box office.

For the next twenty years, Day and Hudson tried to find another film to do together. At one point, they discussed doing a television movie, but nothing came of it. Hudson remarked, "We couldn't come up with a story that would have the same sexual innuendos that had made those comedies fun - in a way that would be valid in modern terms."

But Rock and Doris did work together one more time. Hudson's last public appearance before the revelation that he had AIDS was as a guest on Day's cable show, and ill as he was, the old chemistry was still strong. Near the end of his life, Hudson mused about what made his partnership with Day work so well. "First of all, the two people have to truly like each other, as Doris and I did, for that shines through. Then, too, both parties have to be strong personalities - very important to comedy -- so that there's a tug-of-war over who's going to put it over on the other, who's going to get the last word, a fencing match between two adroit opponents of the opposite sex who in the end are going to fall into bed together."

Director: Norman Jewison
Producer: Harry Keller
Screenplay: Julius J. Epstein, based on the play by Norman Barasch & Carroll Moore
Editor: J. Terry Williams
Cinematography: Daniel Fapp
Costume Design: Jean Louis
Art Direction: Alexander Golitzen, Robert Clatworthy
Music: Frank DeVol
Principal Cast: Rock Hudson (George Kimball), Doris Day (Judy Kimball), Tony Randall (Arnold Nash), Paul Lynde (Mr. Akins), Hal March (Winston Burr), Edward Andrews (Dr. Ralph Morrissey), Patricia Barry (Linda Bullard).
C-100m. Letterboxed. Closed captioning.

by Margarita Landazuri

These scene of Judy getting lock out of the house is so funny.

Trailer For The Movie

Re: SEND ME NO FLOWERS 1964

Re: SEND ME NO FLOWERS 1964

Tony Randall was great in this as always!

Re: SEND ME NO FLOWERS 1964

Some people list this as one of their favorites. I thought the combination of Doris, Rock and Tony was getting a little overdone, and this had too much slapstick. It was a good idea, i think, for whatever reason, that studios moved then from Doris and Rock to Doris and James Garner. In fact, a brilliant move.  So much that when Romantic Couples in movies are listed, both teamings come up. (totally forgetting, of course, the eariler teamings of Doris and Gordon and Doris and Jack Lemmon, two more of my favorites.)

Re: SEND ME NO FLOWERS 1964

Hollywood
I would have written about this film sooner, but it’s hard to think of something to write when not much happens in this film.

I like this film, but of the 5 films between her and Rock/Tony and James Garner (6 if you include Cary Grant), this is my least favorite.  It’s probably b/c it’s starts off with Rock as a hypochondriac.  Oi!  At least Doris’ character makes fun of him for it.  I’m glad to say the film improves after George thinks he’s dying, first with his dream about Doris being with Vito (see below), then becomes enduring with the funeral planning and husband finding for Doris.  It is so sweet when Doris finds out he’s “dying”, hilarious when she catches him “lying“ and sweet again at the ending.   However, I think Tony Randall is the glue that holds this one together.

I will say this about this film: I know they’ve both confirmed this, but you can really tell that Rock and Doris truly adored each other and it wasn’t an act.  Aww!

My favorite scene, Mi Amore:

Re: SEND ME NO FLOWERS 1964

Set of Pictures from "Send Me No Flowers":

Re: SEND ME NO FLOWERS 1964

Hollywood
.Gifs from "Send Me No Flowers"

Re: SEND ME NO FLOWERS 1964

First of all we have a wonderful movie Title song written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, and beautifully sung by the Queen of Movie Title songs... Doris Day!  It captures the feeling of what you are about to witness in this 1964 film.  Music Maesto!

Ok, now... I liked this film a lot.  Paul Lynde as a zealous Cemetery salesman.. hilarious!  Mr. Big Bucks Oil Man, Clint Walker.... with the big feet, and Jaguar XKE.  I can understand Rock's feelings of inferiority around him. :)   I thought the script was a nice weave of ridiculous situations all based upon a false assumption that evolve from a silly hypochondriac's paranoid state of mind.  I can see how Rock's early work in Douglas Sirk melodramas prepared him for comedies like this.

It becomes especially funny to me when Rock gets "expert" advice from his buddy, neighbor, and divorce attorney Tony Randall:  That he should confess to Doris about an affair that never happened... in order to straighten things out with her.  When he decides to go through with this overly-confident and loony plan, it all blows up in his face when Doris shows up to tell him she spoke to one of her girlfriends, and found out the suspected affair is all just a silly misunderstanding.  However, by the stroke of bad luck and twisted fate, Rock is all too eager to follow his neighbor's advice, and confesses that he had an affair (when he didn't) before she can tell him she was wrong and apologize to him.  Right before our very eyes, Rock jumps from the frying pan and into the fire... and it is over for this couple now; there is no way Rock can expect her to believe his attempts to retract his story now, and tell the "real" truth.  We actually can feel his pain now... he's losing his wife Doris for good now, and we learn the pitfalls of telling stupid lies along with him... don't do it!  Even if your best friend, attorney neighbor thinks it's a good idea.  But we are only human...

But thank God for Edward Andrews (Rock's doctor,) slick cemetery salesman Paul Lynde, and Doris's guardian angels, she discovers for herself the truth that her husband was innocent all along; and is just a hopeless idiot caught in the tragic drama of twisted fate.  Only Doris's guileless genuineness warrants divine intervention to save her from her husband's bodacious blunders, and make it through this ridiculous romp together after all.  Hooray, and happy ending!!!

I thought that orange tunic outfit looked awesome on Doris.  Very cute!!!

Re: SEND ME NO FLOWERS 1964

I agree completely Nick!