Remembering The Carpenters

"Close To You" Documentary on The Carpenters is available on YouTube.  Excellent videos about the Carpenters, their rise to success, and life behind the scenes.

Re: Remembering The Carpenters

Thanks, Nick. I needed that. Until I viewed your videos, I had no special feeling for the Carpenters...too sugary sweet....know what I mean?

Re: Remembering The Carpenters

Yes Mike, the image was hard to overcome.  I never liked them that much when I was a kid in the 1970's, I was mostly into hard rock and roll then so this was not a group I was interested in.  But you heard their music everywhere you went, so it sunk in.  I first saw that documentary back in the late 1990's on PBS; and realized they were just extraordinary ordinary people, it was all marketing.  I later purchased a copy.  Changed my mind too, hearing a sober Richard Carpenter talking about it years later after Karen's death.  She had such a rich voice that is uniquely hers.  I only wish she was still around singing.

Re: Remembering The Carpenters

Definately a melancholy, but relatable, human quality in her voice; and at the same time, as if it was a voice from another world.  Give this video a few moments, she sings eventually.

Re: Remembering The Carpenters

I loved her!