On Moonlight Bay

Take a sail on Moonlight Bay and you'll be surprised
at how much you enjoy the trip...

By 1951 Doris Day had become one of the most valuable assets at Warner Brothers.She was their number one female box-office draw and as a follow-up to her hugely popular 1950 musical with Gordon Mac Rae  “Tea for Two” the pair were teamed up again for the movie “On Moonlight Bay”.It brings you to a place we’d like to believe really was in a small town life at the time in America.
Doris Day is a tomboy,more at home on the baseball field or fixing a car,than seen in a dress.The arrival of the boy next door changes some of that,though not all.Wesley however,her 12 year old brother is the devil incarnate.Mum & dad spend a lot of time scratching their heads.The movie is all tied up with gorgeous photography and a lot of lovely music.It has plenty of genuinely funny moments,also due to the familymaid,played by Mary Wickes.
Doris is perfect as Marjorie effectingly balancing the tomboy and blossoming young lady elements of her character and signing in that gorgeous voice that is distinctly her own.
Billy Gray is delightful and funny as Wesley.Two years later everybody reteamed  for the equally popular sequel “By the Light of the Silvery Moon”

Re: On Moonlight Bay

Nick
This one is among my favorite DD movies.  I love it!  "America's Sweetheart" and "The Girl Next Door" icon must have finally gelled with this one.  Gordon MaCrae was a perfect boyfriend for her, and everybody else was perfect too.  Only wished they squeezed in Doris singing "On Moonlight Bay."  Oh well, perfect is good enough.

Re: On Moonlight Bay

I absolutely love "On Moonlight Bay" Takes you back in time of long ago, And like Nick said Doris lives up to her "Girl next door image". And I think this movie started the theme of that image of that all american girl next door that seem to stay with her through her career.
Doris is perfect as Marjorie, effectively balancing the tomboy and blossoming young lady elements of her character and singing in that gorgeous voice that is distinctly her own. Gordon MacRae is stalwart as the object of her affection and it's obvious that the two have a genuine feeling for one another. They remained good friends until his untimely passing. Their rendition of "Till We Meet Again" is outstanding.

Trailer for "Moonlight Bay" ♫♪

"Clip of dancing and snowball fight."

Another beautiful clip

Doris singing the beautiful song, "Tell Me Why" ♫♪

Doris and Gordon Singing "Till We Meet Again" ♫♪

Re: On Moonlight Bay

Barbara
I think Puck may have painted this one.

And here is our Tomboy

Re: On Moonlight Bay

Adorable movie.I saw "By the light" first and then this one,but one thing is for sure,I do love Wesley!

Re: On Moonlight Bay

He's one of the celeb birthday call ins!

Re: On Moonlight Bay

fluffy cloud
oh how great!!!!

Re: On Moonlight Bay

This one is one of the cutest movies. The brother is such so well written!!!
Doris looked so young in these films.

Re: On Moonlight Bay

Barbara
How old is Wesley now Janet?

Re: On Moonlight Bay

Would you believe that Billy Gray is now 75...doesn't seem possible.
I loved him in Father Knows Best.

This is such a great movie.  Doris said these movies were two of her favorites...they were just like family during the making of these great nostalgic movies.

Re: On Moonlight Bay

I think we would ALL like to believe that we had a family like this one, lived in that small town and either lived next to  the characters in the Winfield Family or were part of the family.
That said, I think (musically) Gordon was Doris' best co-star. Not only did they both have great voices, but  they also  blended so beautifully. The other great blend was the smile; Gordie and Doris both had smiles to light up the screen...nobody else ever came close.
I would also like to put in a word for JACK SMITH. The scene where he and Doris sing "LOVE YA, LOVE YA, HONEY" is one of my all time favorite Doris scenes...her facial expressions during the song are priceless.

Re: On Moonlight Bay

Mike, so glad you found that cute clip, what was the other little number that Doris did with him, and Gordon comes in and the all sing it together and Gordon and Doris slip out the door. Was it "Be my little baby bumble bee"? do we have that one on video?
This first photo is where they are getting ready to sneak out the door.

Don't you just love the house they lived in? can't find houses like that anymore.

Here is a photo of Billy Gray today. Hard to believe he is 75 years old. Remember him first in Father Knows Best, as Bud Anderson.

Re: On Moonlight Bay

"Be My Little Baby Bumble Bee" was "By the Light of the Silvery Moon."  Easy to get them mixed up Barbara like your picture of Doris and Gordon sitting together is from "Silvery Moon."  Doris had bleached hair in that one.

That is a grand old house.  I can't speak for the rest of the country, but we still have houses like that here in the Midwest.  It is turn of the century housing when families were huge.  Don't forget, Doris is a Midwestern gal, which also makes her perfect for the part in this Midwestern town period film.  Isn't that where Bill was going to college . . . at IU (Indiana University) - to learn what money is?

Wesley was a great kid I could relate to.  I had a friend named Wesley (at about that age - actually kindergarten and up) and those Wesley antics were not foreign to us.  We are still friends and we both went into the same profession.  I see him at conferences every now and then.

Re: On Moonlight Bay

fluffy cloud

A picture of Gertrude Wheeler fixing Doris' hair.She is the one who was always so picky about the hairdo.

Re: On Moonlight Bay

A very "Midwestern" feel to those pictures Dorine!  The whole movie nails it and probably resembles the Eastern US too.  It really does nail it, especially the Christmas stuff and snowball fights!  We even have an event in town called the "Turkey Trot" too.  Probably everybody does?  Even Wesley's classroom was passed on to us.  I swear I sat in one just like it as a kid - with the same pictures and decorations on the wall!  Uncanny!!!

How could they leave this song out of the movie?  Many have tried singing this, but Doris owns this one too.  Absolutely beautiful singing and song, and really sets the mood!  Just play it and feel the warmth of a summer evening on Lake Nostalgia or the beaches of Forgotten Memory Islands.

Re: On Moonlight Bay

IT was the first of many, many movies in which Doris sang a song over the titles. It became the theme of the movie, and was  released as a single recording and often became a big hit. So, in the eyes of the filmmakers, it made its mark.

Re: On Moonlight Bay

 "On Moonlight Bay" - 1912
The music by Percy Wenrich, lyrics by Edward Madden.
- It's just an intro and two verses, yet an American classic.

Everybody sing!!!  Just follow the bouncing ball!!!
(Mike, Carol, Janet, Barbara, and Dorine, you start the intro, and do the background voices, I'll come in on the verses.  Nice harmonies please!  A one-a, ana two-a, ana three-a, ana . . .)

Intro:  ("Sailing through the moonlight, sailing on the bay')

"We were sailing along,
On Moonlight Bay.
We could hear the voices ringing,
They seemed to say.

You have stolen her heart.
Now don't go 'way.
As we sang love's old sweet song,
On Moonlight Bay."

Re: On Moonlight Bay

Barbara
Nick I guess the reason that picture of "By The Light Of The Silvery Moon" got in there is because I Google pictures of "On Moonlight Bay" and that picture was in there.So I guess other people get confuse also.

Re: On Moonlight Bay

Nick
Well, they really are one movie in Two Parts so I understand - it is confusing.

I just remember reading they bleached her hair for "Silvery Moon" which was done two or three years later, yet she still looks so young.  She looks younger than all her previous movies!  And that is quite a few by this time!!

Re: On Moonlight Bay

Barbara
Also I love Mary Wickers, that played the house keeper in both movies and also the movie coming up I'll See You In My Dreams, and also I think she played in "It Happen To Jane" played the telephone switchboard operator.