Off-Season Football 2013-15

These college football guys never quit.  Things look sunny in Tuscaloosa Alabama!  Here's the team to beat - the two-time, back to back National Champions!  Can they do it again?  I have mixed feelings about it!

I say: Go Blue! and Roll-Tide, unless we meet again in a Bowl Game.  Then I just say Go Blue! Who knows?  Any thoughts Barbara?

2013 A Day Spring Game Highlights

Re: Off-Season College Football 2013

Barbara
I would kind of like to see another bowl game when Alabama and Michigan meet up wouldn't you Nick? I know how excited we were last year waiting for that first football game. Alabama and Michigan hadn't played each other in a long time until that game, you probably remember how long ago it was Nick. Talking about trying to bring home another National title. That is something that would be really great, but I know there is a lot of things that can happen between when the season starts and when it ends, and it is really hard to keep doing year after year. So you bet!! I would love to see them go all the way again and bring home the title. But also I just want them to have a great year with no injuries, and maybe beat all their rivals . Here is a clip of some of the guys we recruited for the upcoming season, never know who will be good and who won't.

Re: Off-Season College Football 2013

I am not ready for that yet Barbara.  Not yet!  I think we will be better this year, but not THAT good, but I never count my Wolverines out!  Last year we didn't have a running back that was dominant by any means and that hurt us.  Our Quarterback Denard Robinson had to do most of the running in the "Spread Offense" which eventually led to his injury 3/4's of the way through the season.  Our back-up QB, Devin Gardner, proved to be pretty darn good for the rest of the season.  He is a "Pro Set" drop-back QB.

Our QB Devin Gardner below (no dread-locks.  The should make the University Regents happy!)  He's good, smart, loves football, has a great arm, can run well, and has a great attitude.  Recruited as a QB, last year they moved him to Wide-Receiver until QB Denard got hurt, then they moved him to QB, after another back-up QB performed horribly at Nebraska - that was an awful game for us!  So he is a very versatile athlete, scored a touchdown on his first catch as a wide receiver - running about 35 yards after the catch.

This year we are finally returning to a "Pro-Style" offensive (like Bama) with bigger, stronger players, who are pretty fast too, so this is the third year transition under Coach Brady Hoke for the team, since the prior Coach Rich Rod brought us "the spread offensive" - which just didn't cut it at Michigan!  Coach Brady Hoke has been transitioning out of that and is returning to a more Michigan traditional football using a "Pro-Set" which has in the past been successful.  Unfortunately, the transition took time to recruit the right players, and the smaller "spread" players had to graduate.  We should look more like a typical winning Michigan team this year.

We recruited a big running back who has been compared to Alabama's Lacy who is supposed to be ready to start this fall as a freshman at 245 lbs.  His name is Derrick Green and everybody wanted him!  But I didn't see him at Spring Practice?  Maybe he hasn't graduated HS yet, and will come for summer practice?  So I still think Alabama is tops, but it is possible we could end up playing in a bowl game if we are significantly better.  And I think we will be.  But who knows?  They have to maintain their grades at Michigan, unlike some schools.  Wow, I wrote too much!

Our new Running Back - Derrick Green.

Re: Off-Season College Football 2013

Barbara
I might not can contribute that much right now on this topic because it goes kind of slow right now for football for me to talk that much about anything, but I will for sure be talking football with you this fall, looks like Michigan recruited a great running back, I bet a lot of schools wanted him, so your quarterback will be the one that filled in for Robinson when he got hurt? I think he did pretty good at times just needs to get more playing time in to get better.

Re: Off-Season College Football 2013

Barbara, I may still post some things here from time to time, as things come to mind.  But I understand, there is not going to be much happening for a while, until summer practice.  But there is always some news, public relations and community work with the player, etc.  I like to hear about them doing good things off the field too.  Carol likes the Georgia Bulldogs, maybe she has some thoughts too?  Maybe others too?  If not, I can always find something else to do until fall.  Just thought I would give it the "old college try."

Many Michigan fans actually thought Devin Gardner was a better Quarterback than Denard Robinson last year.  Yes, he did fill in for Denard last year, who injured his throwing arm for the last 4-5 games.  I liked Denard a lot, as an all-around player, but I actually think Devin is a better Quarterback now, and the offense will be better with him this year.

Some highlights of Devin in action.  He is #12.  Sometimes he is the wide receiver and sometimes he is the one throwing the ball as Quarterback.  I think he is going to be one of the best!  He was maturing while Denard Robinson was getting all the attention.

Re: Off-Season College Football 2013

Barbara
Yes Nick, I can already see where Gardner has a lot of potential as quarterback, looks like he can maneuver around fast and get out of tough spots, I believe he will make Michigan a great quarter back, and if the coach has made other changes where it was needed then who knows, Michigan could end up with a great year.

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Nick
Barbara, I am changing the topic title to:  Off-Season Football 2013 (took the word College out) that way if anyone what to talk Pro Football, they will know that we will include that here too.

Some of our Spring Game 2013 very brief interviews.  I like the kids, and the coaches too!

Taylor Lewan offensive lineman.

Devin has personality too, and has a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

Coach Hoke's take on things.

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Nick
47 days until Kick-off.

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Nick
Reigning National Champion Cheerleaders 2012-13.  Alabama reigning National Champion football team.  Oh well... give us time.  47 days, 6 hours and 2 minutes to go!  Go Blue!!!

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

My favorite QB!

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

I knew Tom Brady would be good back when he was sharing QB duties with Drew Henson at "M;" actually it was the year before that.  I wanted Lloyd Carr to bench Drew and go with Brady 100% - it took Lloyd awhile to realize what I was thinking, but there is a long story there.  I saw the "eye-of-the-tiger" in Brady during a brief pre-game sideline interview back when he was a tall and skinny QB competing for the position; and I said to myself:  HE DA MAN!!!    I have had a lot of favorite QBs at Michigan through the years going back to the mid 60's, but Tom is right up there.  Certainly proved in the NFL that he was the best, didn't play enough to set records at "M."  But he did earn the title: "The Comeback Kid."  Imagine how I felt!

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Nick
Remembering Tom Terrific... Does his throwing style look familiar? Is that Alabama's Nick Saban coaching at MSU. Why yes it is!

Tom Brady Tribute

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Looks the same as he does today. I just wish he was more mobile and could scramble more. Here's a pic a friend took at training camp yesterday.

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Happy 36th Birthday to Tom!

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Nick
Nice pics! If you ever get the chance to meet Mr. Brady, don't mention the 1999 Michigan-Illinois game. Our overall record with them is 69-23-2 so we are expected to beat them every year. Anyway, they came into Michigan Stadium (Illinois was not ranked) and Michigan was #9 in the country. Michigan got up on them 27-7 with Tom Brady and Drew Henson sharing QB duties. Then everything started to go wrong for Brady and Michigan. I remember Michigan had ONE more chance to put away the game. They were on about the 25 yard line of Illinois, Brady was in the shotgun ready to save the day. Then the center hiked the ball about 15 feet over Brady's head, and Brady chased it back to about the 50 yard line and fell on it. It was horrible! Happy Birthday Tom!

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Nick
I think my favorite Michigan football player is the 1997 Heisman Trophy winner Charles Woodson. He gave everything on the field and off. He played like his life depended on it. He recently donated $2- million to start a new addition to the C.S. Motts Children's Hospital here at the University. It's completed now (it's huge) and is helping kids who are seriously ill. My niece is a nurse there. The players visit the kids each week. That's part of the Michigan sports philosophy - visiting the kids. Go Blue!

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Nick
While Tom Brady was 7th in the QB depth chart and sitting on the sidelines, Charles Woodson and QB Brian Griese were taking care of business. The first Heisman Trophy ever awarded to a defensive player went to Charles Woodson in 1997 who played primarily on defense as a cornerback, but he also played on offense too, and on special teams. Of all the players I can remember that I followed since the early 60's, he's my #1. When Charles Woodson stepped on the field, everybody stepped it up - he'd cover half the field by himself. In 1997, Michigan had a perfect season and won a National Championship. Woodson had a lot to do with that. He played like I felt watching him, and he never let me down - always giving 150%. His story is incredible like Tom Brady's. I am sure he had an impact on Tom Brady who was competing for a spot on those teams. Charles Woodson was incredible - check it out. It's a great story in 2-parts - about 20-minutes total, but good! A true Champion who is inspiring, and who has inspired a lot of people. Just ask Tom Brady.

Open to Full-screen for crystal clear viewing.

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

We'd had a little scare the other day but he's ready to go!

Re: Off-Season Football 2013

Nick
What that ankle again?  He better not get hurt or it's Tebow Time!  Two-weeks to college football season starter.  Yeah!!!  My favorite time of year.
12