Music, Music... and More Music

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
I am pretty sure I saw a photo of Sue Raney with Doris on her 90th birthday celebration at the Cypress Inn.  Yup, pretty dang sure I did...  She sings real perdy too.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
The Samba...  a happy upbeat driving rhythm that makes you want to move.

The Samba rhythm... this girl can sing... a natural.  Bravo!

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Now that we know how to play Samba on guitar, and are familiar with the rhythm (above) ... let us learn the Samba dance.  It's great exercise, and will loosen up your lower back.

Now let's try it the easy way... Freestyle:  Just move to the music, arms up, roll the hips, bouncing upwards (alternating with each step) as if someone was poking you in the bum with a pin... and smile... Perfect!

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
It's freezing outside!!!

The Bossa Nova is a variation of the Samba (discussed above) that is more relaxed and soft.  Songs are usually about love; and can be happy, dreamy, contemplative or sad.  Brazilian guitarists and composers Joao Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, and poet and guitarist Vinicius de Moraes were the three pillars of bossa nova music.

The Bossa Nova Rhythm

Here is A. C. Jobim playing a bossa rhythm with Frank Sinatra singing; after the Bossa caught on in America... this is really quite beautiful!  I feel warmer already...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Bossa is sometimes described as a "cool Samba."  Bossa rhythms, with their cool and softer flavors, can be applied to many songs written in 4/4 time.  Like Doritos and Cool Ranch Doritos... I like them both.

"Satin Doll" without Bossa.  Doritos...

"Satin Doll" with Bossa.  Cool Ranch Doritos...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Watched the Busby Berkeley musical "Ziegfeld Girl" (1941) - starring James Stewart, Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, Lana Turner, Tony Martin... and lots of other familiar faces... Wow!  Busby Berkeley must have been a bizarre guy... had many epiphanies while watching this one... could it be renamed "The Matrix?"

Clip from the movie below to more recent version of theme song "You Stepped Out of a Dream."   More on this song later.  Don't wake me up...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
"Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of York..."  William Shakespeare - Richard III

Brilliant Beegie...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Chris Montez had a nice thing going... giving the standards a new sound... so a new generation heard them.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

I remember him!

Ruby and the Romantics.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Lola Beltran "La Grande..."

Trivia:  Which Grammy-winning, American-born singer, stated in her recent book that Lola was her biggest influence?

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Answer to Trivia Question above:  Linda Ronstadt.

I am reading her book.  I like her thoughts on music... she also had very diverse tastes in music; and therefore, is a kindred musical spirit to me.

Now if I could only find an elevator that played music like this, you would find me there.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Yes, Sue Raney was at Doris' 90th.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Thanks Janet.  And now... some swinging Sinatra.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Happy 100th Frank!!!!!

Frankly, I think Frank is a great name.

Happy New Year's Eve... Eve.

You will be missed Natalie...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
"The Four Freshman" are awesome!!!  ... in case you didn't know.  The group that inspired Brian Wilson of "The Beach Boys," and they are still going after 65+ years.

1234