Music, Music... and More Music

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
November 11, 2014....Veterans Day - Let's look back to 1965 for a second.  Where were you?

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
I could easily get side-tracked on 100's of Doris Day songs I really like, but we need variety too.  Maybe it's time to throw in some genuine "tippy-top" gifted singing.  There's so many to choose from... but this is one of them.  Really sends me....

Good pictures too...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Great song and photos too!

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
I am guessing only a serious Doris Day lover would have this song... "Please Mr. Sun."  I purchased the CD years  ago called: "Doris Day - S'Wonderful" (1995 Hindsight Records) and it is listed as a "Previously unreleased bonus track."  So I got to thinking... because it was recorded the same year that Johnny Ray had the hit in 1952, and they were both under contract with Columbia Records.  Hmmm... they gave the hit to Johnny, but Doris's Version, is to me, clearly the better version!  They held her version back so that it did not compete with Johnny Ray's... I could be wrong?  What do you think?

I've been waiting for about 4-years for somebody to put it on YouTube so I could share it  (I don't have a YouTube Channel or I would have done myself!)

Anyway, I found it by chance today... and guess what?  It had just been posted, and it had "0 views."    I was the first one to watch it!!!  What timing!

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
More...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances..."
- William Shakespeare

If you don't like the story, too much drama... rewrite the script... or throw it away...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Mornin partner... What!!!  There's snow on the ground...  Looks cold out there, I need inspiration...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
"April in Portugal" in November.  Works for me... Cha, cha, cha!!!

Bossa Blue Wednesday with Ana Caram...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
November 20th... anybody sick of winter yet?

Some people make some interesting videos, this is one of them.  Only a few people could make this time-lapse journey on the frozen river between Canada and Northern Michigan.  The ice cutters at high speed are almost comical, but at night-time... my goodness!  Wowzer... it's going to be a long winter!  Patience, patience, my child...

To the music of "Sting"

 Gotta check it out in Full-screen mode!

Katie Davis, da girl who plays da bass, has a beautiful voice... and she knows how to use it.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
12-O'clock and all is well...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Back when I was in the process of collecting Doris Day's music, being a big fan for years, I purchased the "Day By Day, Day By Night" CD.  When it arrived, I played it, skipping from song to song.  It didn't register for me... too slow I thought.  I don't think I had ever heard music this slow.... I put it away, choosing my other DD songs over this.

However, after several "half-baked" listens to it, over a period of about 12-years, I put it in the player again, and sat down and listened uninterrupted.  Wow!  I heard it like I had never heard it before!!!!  This is a masterpiece!!!  Now it is one of my favorites.  That's when I started wanting to learn to play standards on guitar... starting with the second song below...  I call it my bedtime music now... and sing along with her.  Just beautiful, we sound great together!

Day By Day - 1st Song... "The Song Is You"

Day By Night - 1st Song... "I See Your Face Before Me"  Wow!  I am the first again to view this YouTube!  It had 0-views and was just posted.  That's twice now in 10 days!!!  Something magic going on here folks... (see Nov. 14 post above)

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Happy Thanksgiving folks!!!  This is sort of sweet...

Al Bowlly and the Ray Noble Orchestra

Black Friday 1973 - "Attention Shoppers:  Will the owner of the green Ford Mustang please come to the Customer Service Desk..."

This song is too cool for Monday, so I'll post it today... a good song for the last day of November...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
I was talking with the kid working the register at the local Speedway about music, it was slow... about mid-night.... So I asked him: "What kind of music do you like?"

He replied: "Caravan Palace... it's Electro Swing!"

Me:  So I looked them up.

Caravan Palace... not bad... the kid has promise!

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Jazz guitar octave licks... made popular by Wes Montgomery, is playing two notes (the same note) an octave apart while muting the rest of the strings.  It is used to embellish the playing of just a single note as demonstrated below.  We've all heard this before somewhere.

Here we have the same principle of octave licks applied vocally in the Michael Franks/Valerie Simpson duet.  By the way, Michael Franks plays jazz guitar... as well as sings.  Awesome effect Michael and Valerie!!!  And thank you Wes Montgomery...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Al Bowlly, nicknamed "The Big Swoon," was Great Britian's most popular dance band singer of the romantic 1930s; and recorded over 500 songs with the Ray Noble Orchestra, in a period of 4-years.  His complete discography was closer to 1000.  He also played guitar... more on him later.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

- Al Bowlly continued -

"Al Bowlly is invariably credited with inventing crooning, or "The Modern Singing Style", releasing a book of the same name. Bowlly experimented with new methods of amplification, not least with his Melody Maker advert, showing him endorsing a portable vocal megaphone. With the advent of the microphone in 1931, Al adapted his singing style, moving away from the Jazz singing style of the 20s, into the softer, more expressive crooning singing style used in popular music of the 1930s and 1940s. It was Bowlly's technique, sincerity, diction and his personality that distinguish him from many other singers of the 1930s era." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Bowlly

Prior to the advent of the microphone and amplification, singers needed to project their voices to the back row of the theater to be heard, which resulted in a more Broadway style of belting it out like Al Jolson.  "Crooning," a empathically sentimental and emotional style of singing, was at first considered a denigrated form of singing, and associated with debauchery as stated by "The New York Times" during its early beginnings.  Singers in the US were reluctant to be classified with this sort of singing in its early stages.

1234