Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
How it sounded back then... Les Brown and Doris on 1940's Armed Forces Radio.  Super!

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Alternate take... with chit chat... "This Can't Be Love" from "Jumbo."

Oh... by the way, "The Glass Bottom Boat" is on TCM Thursday Night at 6:00 pm EST.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Ok, where we you in 1967...

I was watching "The Mammas & The Papas" on "The Ed Sullivan Show."  I remember this show...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

me, too, Nick.  Those were good tv days. My how times have changed

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Amen Mike, and when did acappella groups lose their cool?  I say never!!!

Did I post this one before?

Hmmm..."They" say the memory is the first thing to go... Maybe it is just that we have learned to live in the moment...

Let us expand our horizons... let us visit da Highlands of Scotland for a wee bit.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Michael Franks - 1999  The sound quality is dang good on both videos, but the written link below is an AWESOME tropical video in HD (with lyrics,) but it doesn't permit "embedding," so just click the link, or just listen to other boring video without lyrics.  Pick your poison...

Slick guitar part too!  Gotta learn this one.

Door #1.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUH8-wbWDjc
(or)
Door #2.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Be sure to check out that last song... we'll wait for you.

Some waiting music please...

Happy Halloween!  Music for burning off those extra calories... you crazy little trick-or-treaters you.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Ok, now that Halloween is over, and I was informed by trick-or-treaters that "it is snowing out here!"  Let's chill... and think about summer.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Too early for snow!

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Yup, it's time to get those outdoor chores done before winter.  We have a short reprieve with warmer sunny weather this week, but the ground was covered with frost this morning. Tennessee mountains got 18" of snow I heard.

This is sort of peaceful fall-like outdoor music.  Julie...  Who's Julie?

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
I like the way this lady plays da piano...  Beegie Adair... Her playing inspires me.  More on that later.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
It's Fall... so let's talk about the song "The Dead Leaves"... yes, you all know it!

"Les feuilles mortes" (The Dead Leaves) was written in 1945 by Hungarian/French composer Joseph Kosma.  It's NOT a song about leaves, but about the memory of the loss of a love evoked... during this changing season of falling leaves.

Johnny Mercer translated the lyrics to English... they are very simple, yet poignant.  The words and melody tell me it is a "kick-in-gut" sensitive song... and should be handled as such; however, it has been interpreted in many different ways... and is a great song for improvisation.  Thus, it is one of the great Standards.   Bravo!

Autumn Leaves

"The falling leaves drift by the window
The autumn leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sun-burned hands I used to hold

Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall."

Parlez-Vous Francais?  Is that a tear?  I think she's got it!

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Hmmmmm....  Johnny Mercer could sing too.

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Django would have enjoyed this one.  Nice voice quality... wouldn't you say Miss Waters?  and "Swing is king..." right Mr. Goodman?

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Great guitar too!

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Ah yes!  Ethel Waters sang the last song in the 1943 film "Cabin In The Sky;" and "The King of Swing" Benny Goodman (with Helen Forrest) also had a version... among many others... Great song!

Here's another Django Reinhardt guitar inspired arrangement; he recorded it in 1936.  Whoa! That girl is gonna put out somebody's eye with that fiddle!!!

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
Kate Davis can sing and play bass...

Re: Music, Music... and More Music

Nick
November 10, 1975... 39-years ago today... about 7:10 pm, "The Edmond Fitzgerald," the largest of the American Great Lakes Freighters of the time, disappeared off the radar screen, without even a distress call, during a pause in radio communications with the SS Arthur Anderson 10 miles away.  Near hurricane force winds and snow, reported 25-40 ft. waves, navigation systems failed, another 17 miles to safety of Whitefish bay, Whitefish Point Lighthouse station lost power due to the storm, a perfect storm, 29 "most-seasoned" Captain and crew slipped into eternity, no bodies ever recovered.  Still a haunting mystery.  Gives one pause...

“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main… any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."  - John Donne (1572-1631)

Captain of the SS Anderson recalls.

Tasteful music and pictures, I've been there, sacred place... seen the Fitz's bell.

1234