Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Nick
Excellent movie I just saw on TCM. It was a $6 million box office flop in 1957, but is now considered a great classic film. Excellent and inspiring true story about the first non-stop flight across the Atlantic in May of 1927. I've seen the "de plane" at the Smithsonian, and one of the three replicas at Henry Ford Museum - very cool! It was a HUGE moment in American and flight history.

The Spirit of St. Louis - Starring Jimmy Stewart

The Real Charles Lindbergh

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I just saw two new movies. One was spectacular; the other so-so.

THE GREAT GATSBY with TOBY MCGUIRE & LEONARDO DICAPRIO...is simply AMAZING and so true to the book.  The one with Robert Redford several years ago: BIG TIME BORING. This one is upbeat throughout. You would love it.

Then I saw MAN OF STEEL.  Not a chance.  They had a thing (while he was alive) to have 3 good movies in the Superman series starring Christopher Reeve:

They have been trying to revive the story ever since, with new actors. The latest is a dismal failure...don't waste your money:

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

One of my friends went to the The Great Gatsby and she said she was bored out of her head.
She said she was very disappointed in it...I guess everyone has there own take on movies.
To me there isn't much out there anymore that's worth going to see.

I wanted to go see The Lone Ranger and several people said don't waste your money.
I think it would be hard to beat  Clayton Moore and his partner Tonto.

I'm not a big fan of Johnny Depp.
That to me would be trying to re-make Lover Come Back or Love Me Or Leave Me..after Doris did these...nobody could compare to her.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Nice to see you back on the Forum, Miss Moderator!  Anyone who was bored with GATSBY must have slept  through it!  MAN OF STEEL, yes...but def. not Gatsby.  If your friend thought it was boring, she should have seen the Robert Redford version.
Of course, in order to like Gatsby, you have to first:
1. Like the story by Fitzgerald, and it is a classic.  The movie does an excellent job of following the story
2. Like Leonardo DiCaprio, who is one of the finest actors in Hollywood

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Yes...she has seen the one with Robert Redford and I think I did if I recall.
I have been on the forum...you just haven't noticed I guess.
I posted three times and you are just now noticing them....

Like I said the movie choices that are out there today are far and few between.
That's why I hardly ever go...a waste of money and the actors we used to see have passed away or don't act anymore...You can't go to a movie without hearing the "F" word a 1,000 times or cussing through it all.  I think I'll just stick to watching TV.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Unfortunately, tv is in a rut with all those shows exactly the same.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

We rented The Proposal the other night with Sandra Bullock. Betty White, Andie MacDowell?, Craig T. Nelson are also in it. It is a cute chick flick.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

  Local listings for: Georgia [Set TV Provider]
Friday, August 2 2013

        Time
        Show
        Channel
        6:00am
        Romance on the High Seas

        Georgia Garrett
        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        6:00am
        Romance on the High Seas

        Georgia Garrett
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        6:30am
        Pillow Talk

        Jan Morrow
        RetroPlex
        RetroPlex
        7:45am
        My Dream is Yours

        , Director
        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        7:45am
        My Dream is Yours

        , Director
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        9:30am
        It's a Great Feeling

        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        9:30am
        It's a Great Feeling

        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        11:00am
        The Lullaby of Broadway

        Melinda Howard
        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        11:00am
        The Lullaby of Broadway

        Melinda Howard
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        12:45pm
        On Moonlight Bay

        Marjorie Winfield
        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        12:45pm
        On Moonlight Bay

        Marjorie Winfield
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        2:30pm
        By the Light of the Silvery Moon

        Marjorie Winfield
        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        2:30pm
        By the Light of the Silvery Moon

        Marjorie Winfield
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        4:15pm
        Lucky Me

        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        4:15pm
        Lucky Me

        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        6:00pm
        It Happened to Jane

        Jane Osgood
        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        6:00pm
        It Happened to Jane

        Jane Osgood
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        8:00pm
        Calamity Jane

        Calamity Jane
        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        8:00pm
        Calamity Jane

        Calamity Jane
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        10:00pm
              The Glass Bottom Boat

        Jennifer Nelson
        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        12:00am
        The Glass Bottom Boat

        Jennifer Nelson
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        2:00am
        Tea for Two

        Nanette
        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        2:00am
        Tea for Two

        Nanette
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        3:45am
        Love Me or Leave Me

        Ruth Etting
        Turner Classic Movies
        Turner Classic Movies
        3:45am
        Love Me or Leave Me

        Ruth Etting
        Turner Classic Movies HD
        Turner Classic Movies HD

Now here are some good movies to watch...just got them off locate tv for Doris Day
tv schedule..
Can't get any better than this.

Enjoy!!
They start on Aug. 2nd-Aug. 3rd.
All of them on TCM except Pillow TAlk...that would be Retro plex if you can get that.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

LOVED that movie; everyone in it did an extraordinary job.
Ryan and Sandra make a good couple.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I don't think there has been a great rom com out after the proposal! What's up with the screenplay writers??? Are they all out of love???

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Did anyone catch TCM last night? Mel Brooks was awarded the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award. They showed a lot of clips from his movies. They were so funny! TCM played his movies all night. Remember the 2000 year old man! "What knockers!" "May the schwartz be with you!"

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

One of my favorite movies of all time. "Shadowlands." Starring Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger. True story of C. S. Lewis, famous Christian philosopher and author at Oxford University, who falls in love late in life with an American woman. Very expensive if you can find it? But here it is on YouTube for free! Excellent movie!!! Probes into some of the difficult questions in life.

Excellent reviews! Hard to find because it was made for HBO and only a limited number of DVDs made. http://www.amazon.com/Shadowlands-Anthony-Hopkins/dp/0783113315/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1385011480&sr=1-1&keywords=the+shadowlands

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Actress Joan Fontaine passed on today at age 96...

Actor/writer/activist Tom Laughlin (Billy Jack) also passed today at age 82... he was the real deal...

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I didn't know there was a movie called: "The Very Thought of You" (1944)... I guess the song came 10-years earlier. Saw it on TCM and got sucked in.

A sweet young woman (Eleanor Parker) meets a handsome young soldier (Dennis Morgan) during WWII... they fall in love. Sort of "Moonlight Bayish" except not such a light and happy family. No this girl is blessed with a cold critical mother, a creepy brother, a porqupine for an older sister; however her dad is the saving grace, and her two other sisters too... one who is an absolute doll. Good movie. I liked it. Very sweet. The trailer doesn't do it justice, so I will post this short clip.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

gerian56
I recently watched Battlefield Earth and rather enjoyed it. However I also saw it (after I had watched it) on a list of the worst movies of all time! I guess it’s all relative and about perspective.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

iT IS always interesting to me how people can come  up with lists of best and worst...it is, after all, strictly an opinion. Some of the "so called worst movies" are among my favorites.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

There are many movies that TCM gives a 2-star rating (out of 5) that I love... "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."  There is art for artists, or for the sake of art, but that doesn't mean it is appealing to the masses.  Same is true for music, movies, etc...

I loved "Top Gun," and then read a review that it was a movie for idealistic teenagers or something like that...
123