Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I agree about Matt Damon.  I just bought all the Borne series to watch when I can find the time.  I liked all of his movies I've seen so far.

Christie, Tyrone Powers was a big star.  I don't know that much about him, but I have done a little research on Ann Blyth.  I thought she was wonderful in "I'll Never Forget You."  In fact, it was that movie that made me curious about her.  I'd seen her in movies before, but didn't know exactly in what.  She was born in 1928, started young in movies, and is still alive today.  She did a lot of musicals and could sing too.  She injured her back (I believe it was on a movie set) which hurt her career, but did not stop her from performing in 32 movies and various TV roles.  She seemed to have a beautiful graciousness about her.  Check out my post on the Joan Crawford and Bette Davis movie topic where she talks about working with Joan Crawford - very interesting!

Ann Singing with Bing.

She starred in the Movie "The Helen Morgan Story" with Paul Newman which I saw recently.  They dubbed her singing voice for the movie with the voice of Gogi Grant, even though she sounded closer to the real Helen Morgan.  What an insult, because she could sing!  But she was very gracious.

A more recent Ann Blyth.

Younger Ann.

Rock sure got around.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Thanks for all the info! I don't think I have seen any films of hers! I will have to postpone the movie viewing for tomorrow though...morning wake up call...I need to be at work at 8:30 and it's already 1:30am here!! So I need to pretend to be sleeping :P

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Nick
No hurry Christie, get some sleep!  I love doing the research when I find something interesting and when I am curious.

Ann's real voice, with Howard Keel and Vic Damone from the movie "Kismet."  And they dubbed that in "The Helen Morgan Story?"

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I'll watch it today :)
She sure looks tiny in Rock's arms! I can't believe I have never heard of her before! She does have a nice voice.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Nick
She looks very petite and Rock was pretty tall.  I just learned about her too.  But I've seen her before.  She is famous for playing Joan Crawford's daughter in "Mildred Pierce" and "clocking" her in this scene at the beginning of the video link below; which is great with the crowd reaction!  Just watch the beginning and you'll see.  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd7m0TztdAA

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

The crowds reactions are gold!!!!!! She seems lovely!!! I'll watch it all :)

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I found a little info connecting Doris and Ann on wikipedia!

"Blyth caused jaws to drop and eyebrows to raise at the 1954 Oscar broadcast when she sang Doris Day's nominated (and eventual winning) song "Secret Love" from the movie Calamity Jane (1953) while seven months pregnant."

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Nick
Wow, Christie!  This keeps getting more interesting.  I'll post this video here too.  Ann's take on Joan Crawford and that movie.  I'll have to watch "Mildred Pierce" sometime soon. That's good acting!  Good drama too!

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I was lucky to find this full movie online.  One of my favorites.  It's about an artist traveling in Hong Kong, who meets a very interesting girl - Suzie Wong.  Starring William Holden and Nancy Kwan.  A very sweet, charming and unusual love story.  A must see!  Just try and watch the first 5 or 10 minutes and you'll be hooked.  Good picture quality. . . Enjoy!!!  Here's the link.

The World of Suzie Wong - 1960

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLDb0YZ2LaM&list=PLCC88DB1191CFAD24

Note:  There are other good William Holden movies at this link too.  (ie. the Hollywood classic: "Sunset Boulevard.")

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I need a spoiler... does it have a happy ending?? If it does I'll watch it..if not.. I will pass :P

Thanks for the previous link...I'll have to watch more movies of Ann Blyth! Thanks for introducing her!!

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

-Continued from the above post -

Many considered "Sunset Boulevard" one of the most powerful movies made because the story developed into an expose on the exploitation of Hollywood and movie making business upon the people who became entangled by it.  The actors loved it, but the "big wigs" were angry at director Billy Wilder.  But it was a big hit and a monumental film.  The film is often referred too, and if you see it, you will see that other films have borrowed from it - over the years.

Anyway, here is a little background about it.  The link to the full movie is with Suzie Wong link above.  This is also a must see.  Very interesting insight into the movie business.  I loved it!

Here's some Sunset Boulevard movie background (video below.)  Sunset Blvd. runs from the Pacific Coast, past Beverly Hills and right through Hollywood.  It is  parallel to Hollywood Blvd. where the Hollywood Walk of Fame is located.  Thus the name of the movie!

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Yes, Suzie Wong has a happy ending in that "true love" wins in the end.  It is sort of a Hong Kong Cinderella story - it's like a trip to Hong Kong in the 1960s - very beautiful scenery.  I can relate to the artist William Holden plays, and he is a good man, whose plans are interrupted by a girl he meets, who is much deeper than the way she appears, which is revealed as the movie progresses.  "Boy with good heart, meets girl in difficult situation," and they make it in the end.  I loved it!

Sunset Blvd. is bizarre, but worth it just to see film making history.  It inherently  reveals the Hollywood game during the Golden Era of Hollywood days, and it probably still applies today.  The lure of fame and it's price, but so much more.

Glad you liked Ann Blyth.  I saw another one of hers which was very funny.  About a third of the way through I was laughing out loud.  It's also on YouTube.  Called "Once More, My Darling."  It has a happy ending too.  However, the audio gets out of sync by the end.  But it was still good.  A completely different side of Ann Blyth.  Wow!  She is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOKEV2HlgZo

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Christie, there's a connection(s) between Nancy Kwan (the girl who played Suzie Wong) and Doris Day.  Nancy Kwan sang "I Enjoy Being A Girl" in the 1961 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical movie "Flower Drum Song."  I liked "The World of Suzie Wong" much better and don't recommend "Flower Drum Song."  Of course, Doris's recording of "I Enjoy Being A Girl" was better singing, but Nancy's movie performance was pretty good too.  Ross Hunter produced that one, and he directed/produced(?) many of Doris's later movies.  "Suzie Wong" performance made Nancy a big star.  William Holden was William Holden; already Hollywood's "Golden Boy."

Nancy Kwan had a very expressive face, good stuff for movie screens.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

We had a rainy Saturday this past weekend. So I put on Pillow Talk.  There were some great one liners in that movie.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I've been working on our movie Oscars soundtrack page. There are some movies in there that I'd forgot about that I want to see again. Same Time Next Year with Alan Alda comes to mind. Visit those pages for some inspiration.

BTW, Ann Blyth is still around. I guess she married and had 5 kids!

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

She still looks good..Wonder how recent that picture is of her?

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

It says it's 2013!

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Doris was scheduled to perform "Secret Love" and backed out at the last minute.  Wonder if the Academy remembered that 2 years later when she was not nominated for LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME?
Much as I hate to say it, Doris was not really popular with the "in" crowd (the usual voters). We all know why: she did not do the "party scene".

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Nick
Parties are fun when you are young.  Oh boy. . . but they get old.  I hate them now - so pretentious.  But I usually find them amusing once I get there.  Sometimes I even have fun.

This is how I feel before a party . . . like Matt Damon in The Good Shepard

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Thanks Nick for all the info! You really know how to research!!!!

I'm not a fan of parties either...never was never will be! I don't find a real purpose of just partying for the sake of partying!