Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I thought we needed a General Catagory for Movies  so that we don't have to start a new topic for each movie.  They can all be discussed under this topic.

I just saw the HD restored version of ANNE OF GREEN GABLES on DVD.  It was originally filmed in 16mm, then transferred to video for TV release, this restoration beautifully restores it to a cinamatic masterpiece that was not possible for TV.  A great movie!  A must see!

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately and Liked - Old or New

Great idea Nick!!!
This looks like a great movie! I haven't heard of it before! I'll watch it :)
The last movie I saw was Julie & Julia. I hadn't seen it when it came out. I loved it :)

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately and Liked - Old or New

Nick
Christie, my mother loved Julia Child.  Now I have her Julia Child cookbooks.  Never tried them yet.  Maybe tonight - mousse de chocolate?

She liked Gramham Kerr "The Galloping Gourmet" too, who was always rushing to get done in time!  I think I have his books too?  Both a riot.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately and Liked - Old or New

I hadn't heard of Julia Child before this movie!! She was a character! The movie intrigued me and I really want to read the book written about her correspondence with her friend. It reminds me of all of us, we have never met but we are all good friends. If anybody else is interested, the book is this: As always, Julia: The letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto

let us know how the mousse turns out!!!!

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Many years ago (far too many to remember), I took a vacation to Prince Edward Island in Nova Scotia. In their main area, Elizabethtown, they had a little playhouse. That night they were peforming a live version of that story, and it was absolutely delightful.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

A friend recommended I visit Prince Edward Island (PEI,) but to see the movie first.  That's why I got the movie.  It was a huge hit, and had quite a following around the world.  Put PEI on the map.  Reminds me a little of "Little House on the Prairie."  Great movie!  Apparently there are several sequels too:

"Anne of Avonlea"
"Anne of Green Gables - The Continuing Story"
"Anne of Green Gables - New Beginnings"

Megan Follows plays Anne.  She is a perfect fit for the role.  Great character.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

fluffy cloud

Yesterday I saw "New York New
York" with Liza Minella and Robert De Niro.I have never seen one single movie with Liza Minelli and know nothing of her career.The film made me think about "Young man with a horn".Robert De Niro however is one of my favourite actors,he put down a strong character in this movie.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Nick
Dorine, I saw "New York, New York" when it first came out at the theater.  That was a young Robert DeNiro.  Can't remember what it was about, except a love story.  I like DeNiro movies too.  But I never liked the song, except when Michael Buble is being a ham with it.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Did you know that NEW YORK NEW YORK was made with Doris Day in mind?  Watch it again and think DORIS DAY'S CAREER as you watch.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Nick
No, I didn't know that.  I'll have to see it again.  I thought "Julie" had shades of her first marriage according to her book.  How could Marty do that?

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Everyone in Hollywood knew he was a rat, except Doris.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Nick
Tom Selleck at his BEST in the Jesse Stones series of movies listed below in order to watch.  Excellent small town police drama with BIG crime scenarios.  Selleck is the Paradise Police Chief, a town in Massachusetts, with a very small staff.  Very high quality movies and a sense of realism that is riveting.  Highly recommend them and the plot continues if you follow the order.  Excellent series!!!  Best police movies I've ever seen.  Better than Dirty Harry!  Not overly graphic either.  I just saw the 8th one last night, and there will be a 9th - I am guessing.

1. Night Passage (prequel)
2. Stone Cold
3. Death in Paradise
4. Sea Change
5. Thin Ice
6. No Remorse
7. Innocents Lost
8. Benefit of Doubt

Some are available on YouTube (full movie in parts) like this one.  Maybe you'll get hooked.  Jesse is a cool cop!  I love them all!  Selleck is direct, no-nonsense, and unconventional.  A teaser. . .

STONE COLD - Part 1.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I love anything with Tom Selleck!

There doesn't have to be any sound either!

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I used to watch all the Magnum PI TV shows, but I think the Jesse Stone movie series are the BEST!  Very well made movies, great actors, intriguing crime stories, and interesting police work with Selleck in the thick of it.  They have a touch of humanness lacking in so many crime dramas.  Also, they are all just about 90-mins (not too long) and are worth every penny!

http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Paradise-Passage-Remorse-Innocents/dp/B00AEB70V2/ref=sr_1_16?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1367629248&sr=1-16&keywords=jesse+stone+series

Or buy separately.  I can't wait for the next release.  They are a treat, at least to me.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=the+sandpiper#/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3Ajesse+stone+series&page=2&keywords=jesse+stone+series&ie=UTF8&qid=1367629179

But "Night Passage" is really beginning of the series (a prequel) that was released after "Stone Cold."  It starts when he was fired from LAPD for drinking on the job, finds himself divorced, and applies for a Police Chief position across the country in small town Paradise, MA.  Each movie builds upon the story from the prior movie, but stand alone too.  Tom Selleck is "da man" in this one, and very real.  These cops are human, more like real life.  If you like Tom Selleck, you have to see these movies.

Great dialogue too.  The psychologist (William Devane) who he sees to bounce ideas off of, mostly to solve the crime, but it gets personal too which he is good at deflecting.  Their talks are so funny, and they make sense.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

fluffy cloud
Saw this lovely romantic comedy with Amy Adams,and the story is funny,the scenes are fabulous,location wonderful.I must say is feels like an old fashioned movie and it has the song in it 3Dream a little dream of me".
Anna Brady plans to travel to Dublin, Ireland to propose to her boyfriend Jeremy on February 29, leap day, because, according to Irish tradition, a man who receives a marriage proposal on a leap day must accept it.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

I love 'Leap Year' Fluffy!!!! What would you take in the event of a fire? We were discussing it with my sisters and when our building did catch a fire two years ago...my older sister took nothing and my younger a pair of socks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I guess material stuff don't matter at all. Digressed a bit but love this movie :)

Movies I saw recently are "Bringing Up baby', 'Murphy's Romance' ' Norma Rae' and 'Places of the Heart'. I needed to take off some movies from my 'to watch list' from Sally Field's work. James Garner is in Murphy's Romance and he is really really good in it! I think he was nominated for an oscar for his performance too. Real good movie! If you haven't had a chance to see it yet, it's available on youtube :

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Christie, I really liked "Murphy's Romance" too.  I bought a copy of it at a fundraiser.  Dorine, never seen "Leap Year" but I'll check it out sometime.

Here's one I found of YouTube by surprise a few months ago.  I started watching it, and I couldn't stop.  Sort of reminded me of "Dark Shadows" mixed with "The Twilight Zone;" maybe better.  The guy goes back in time, and the movie switches from B&W to Color.  Ann Blyth and Tyrone Powers, in "I'll Never Forget You."  Excellent story!  It's got to be a "cult classic!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXt314dmEs

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Last weekend we watch Matt Damon's Promised Land. We enjoyed it. At first we weren't sure whether to rent it. But as my husband said Matt Damon doesn't make bad movies. It had a few surprising twists and turns.

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

your husband is 1000 percent correct. If it stars Matt Damon  or Tom Hanks, you can be assured of a really good film!

Re: Movies You've Seen Lately - Old or New

Thanks Nick for the suggestion, I will watch it tonight and let you know what I thought of it.

Matt Damon and Tom Hanks...now we only need a script and a female love interest and we have the movie of the year. Did anybody see Cloud Atlas? I have heard it was amazing...didn't get a chance to see it yet!