Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

fluffy cloud

This movie proved that Doris was no “flash in the pan”.It cemented her popularity and moved her higher in the polls of movie favorites.Title song was a minor hit.Other popular songs from the movie include :”Someone Like You”, “I’ll String Along With You” and a gigantic jukebox hit,”Canadian Capers” (Cuttin’ Capers).
Doris’ second film is a remake of a 1934 flick starring Dick Powell called “Twenty Million Sweethearts”.In the earlier film,waiter Powell became a crooning idol,in the remake it is Doris Day who is catapulted to stardom.
Jack Carson (who was reportedly romantically involved with Doris during filming) is the hot-shot promoter who makes a celebrity out of Day and lives to regret it,as does she,before the happy ending.
The film’s highlight features a cartoon sequence directed by Fritz Freling with cameos by Bugs Bunny and Tweety.Dance sequences are attributed to famous choreographer,Buzzby Berkely.Much ado is made about the title song,but it is the jukebox sequence song which becomes the actual hit.
Mike De Vita

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

fluffy cloud
"My dream is yours" centres around the booming radio business in the late 40's,with Doug Blake (Jack Carson), a talent scout and agent,about to loose his prize singer,Gary Mitchell (Lee Bowman) to another station.Blake has fought for years to make Mitchell a star and now that he's arrived,Gary is ungrateful,spoiled and drinking heavily.After an all-out dispute nearly ends up in a brawl,Doug vows to wash his hands of Gary and find a new singing star to replace him.Blake,after borrowing money from his firm-assistant,Eve Arden,heads for New York,scouting for a fresh new singer.

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

fluffy cloud

Little Freddy absolutely is adorable!

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

Barbara
Love this movie.Again Doris proves she can sing and act and does it with such ease.

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

Doris sings this like an angle.

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

I love Doris in this hat

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

Barbara
<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

fluffy cloud

adorable

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

The following scene from this movie fascinated me the very first  time I ever saw it. It still fascinates me today. It is self explanatory now, but as a kid, I wondered if jukeboxes really worked that way!  Besides...the song is a fantastic example of Doris and how wonderful she tackles a jazz/ragtime song:

There were a thousand and one things I loved about this movie; this was only one of them.  I really loved the relationship between Doris' Character (Martha Gibson) and her son in the movie, Freddie.  I am sure it relected in some way on the one she had with her own son. (At the time, I actually thought the little boy WAS Terry. I found out later it was not.)  And the scene where she sings "I'll String Along With You" was a real tear jerker, not to mention that it emphasizes the true beauty  and purity of Doris' voice.

The Geiger Counter Song (TIC TIC TIC) shows how adorable she was ...the cute part of her character diametrically opposed to the nightclub scene when she saves the worthless singer that her character replaces...when she finally realizes what a fool she has been and goes back to the guy who gave her the big break, Jack Carson.

This was the first time that Eve Arden appeared with Doris in a film, and they worked beautifully together.  I always liked Miss Arden...she was very funny in a very natural way. She appeared in several more films with Doris, and they became good friends.

As much as I loved ROMANCE (it was her first), I loved this one even more.

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

It must have been great seeing Doris on the big screen!And yes,that is a marvelous moment,the Cuttin' Capers song.

 TIC TIC TIC is just adorable and so is the pair of them!

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

One I painted a while back. Also I don't know why anyone would upload a song and not put any pictures with it. If  anyone finds the version that she did from the movie please post it.

"Tic Tic Tic"

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

fluffy cloud
FREDDY GET READY
http://youtu.be/wpbq7hriLpE

MY DREAM IS YOURS with lovely pictures from DAYNIAC
http://youtu.be/EW39rXgujrg

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

I like "Feddy Get Ready" scene and "Someone Like You" snippet which seems to portray how Doris might have looked performing in the 1940's.   And the "I'll String Along With You" song and scene.  The first date with Gary Mitchell, where she gives him the brush-off to his conceited come-ons was excellent.  Why she falls for him is as bad as falling for Barney Sloan in "Young At Heart" - but I guess that is the way it goes.  But at least she ends up with Jack Carson at the end.  She is drop-dead gorgeous (in Technicolor again) with the long hair flowing in this flick.  What else is there to say!  Another hit!

Note:  The VHS version shows more of the "I'll String Along With You" scene.  The DVD unfortunately cut part of Freddie's shenanigans in bed before Doris sings.  Rats!!!

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

Barbara said this might be the movie of the week and I'm so glad it is.  I liked this movie when I originally watched it, but upon further reviewing, I realize I had dismissed a lot of things in this film that are truly awesome, like this number:

P.S.  I JUST saw where you had posted this @fluffy_could...Well, it's worth viewing twice.  Enjoy!

Mike...I almost agree with you about this being better than Romance.  That is a tough call.

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

Barbara
Holly, Thank you for uploading this cute song. I love it..And it you find pictures from this movie or just want to just jump in with your input of the movie please do. I thought I would try and post another song from the movie, although this song was first made with Doris singing it with Buddy Clark. Doris and Buddy had made several duets together, Buddy signed with Columbia records in 1946 and of course Doris was recording with Columbia also at that time. And in 1948 they made the duet "Ill String Along With You". The year before in 1947  they had a Hugh hit "Love Somebody".Reaching #1 on the charts. But this is the song with Doris and Buddy singing.
"I'LL STRING ALONG WITH YOU."

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

Had to add a touch of color to this one.

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

Hollywood
Oooooo, that's nice with just a touch of color.  It's hard to believe that's Doris (maybe it's the angle) even though it is.

Re: Movie of the week "My dream is yours"

Barbara
Holly, Every time I look at this picture I think she looks so young and sweet in this photo.
But she was about 25. But looks like she is about 18