Marlene Dietrich

Sinem
Firstly I watched The Blue Angel, after 'Stage Fright' by Alfred Hitchcock. She is one of my favorites. :)

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Nick
I do not know that much about Marlene Dietrich, but I know a little. When I think of Marlene, I recall a proverb that says: "Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth (gaiety or jollity) is heaviness." She seems to have understood that, a very down to earth and genuine lady. I would like to learn more about her.

Song From "The Blue Angel"

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Sinem
This post was updated on .
I've read her book. :)

Like her ideas. appreciate her very much. Marlene is my second love. :D of course first love Doris ♥ :)

my albums :)

Her voice very seductive. She looks charming. :)

This is my favorite song

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Nick
Where does one begin? I am having 10 different thoughts. Maybe just a little at a time. Wow! "Puff the Magic Dragon," in German(?) by Marlene. That's a first for me.

The World War II video, touches my heart. I have always been somewhat in awe of WWII, and I feel the pain of it in my veins. My parents were in Europe during WWII - they would have been familiar with Marlene Dietrich, and Vera Lynn too. I see that quality in Marlene, and Vera Lynn, and the people of that time and place. It's a psychic imprint - my parents had it, and I respect that very much. My older brother was born during the war. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." I am curious what Marlene thought.

Does this sound and look familiar?

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Nick
I see that you found out about embedding video.  Congratulations!  You got it Sinem!

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Sinem
Yes, Puff the Magic Dragon, This is German version. :) Oh, That is too bad for your family. :( I feel very sorry.

Doris sang 'falling in love again'. I knew. :) Both wore a frock :D They looks great

yes yes I could add video :D

in English

in German

in French ( I always love French) :)

Re: Marlene Dietrich

No need to be sorry, they were very lucky to have survived. My father told me, that he was 1 of the 3 students, in his class of 86 students that survived the war. So we were very fortunate, and so I was born later in London. But I grew up with the lessons they learned and taught me. It enriched my life. So I am fortunate. But I did lose my brother in the Vietnam war. I miss him to this day. That's life...

"Where Have All the Flowers Gone" - It's an anti-war song from the Vietnam Era, written by Pete Seger, and Marlene would have certainly appreciated it. I suspect you knew that? I like it too.

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Sinem
This post was updated on .
Are you in England? I know Peter Seeger version. ;)

from Stage Fright. Alfred Hitchcock's movie.

for Marlene

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Nick
No, we immigrated to the US to Michigan. You know so much. You must be very inquisitive Sinem. That's good! Are you musical? Play an instrument, or sing? or act?

I will have to see "Stage Fright." I like Jane Wyman too.

Have you seen "Magnificent Obsession" (1954) and "All That Heaven Allows" with Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson? I thought they were excellent, and it is now released on DVD in beautiful color. I love these melodrama films directed by Douglas Sirk, also "Written In The Wind." It was Douglas Sirk that helped make Rock Hudson into a big star.

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Sinem
No no :) I just love listen to older music.

No, I've never seen their films.

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Sinem

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Nick
My goodness! You've been busy Sinem! It will take me some time to look at all of them. Marlene did a cameo appearance in this WONDERFUL movie, "Around the World in 80-Days," another must see movie (the 1956 - Academy Award winner) with 50 different stars giving cameo appearances.

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Regarding the "first group" of videos.

"Forever Young" - Marlene has a peaceful face.  Very interesting look.  I see Spencer Tracy.  Who's the British-looking guy with cigarette near the end?  Looks familiar, sort of like Errol Flynn.

"Near You" - German sounding rock'n roll.  Husky voice!

"Blowing In The Wind" - Dietrich does Dylan.  Very interesting - ya?

The last two videos - "Sprechen Sie Deutsche?"  Ya? No?  My mother said she had many German friends before the war.  Then they bombed the heck out of each other, England and Germany, and she spend hours with baby brother in subways at night during air raids.  She said many of her German friends were killed too.  Very sad.  Marlene has sad eyes.  Her face is a blank canvas from which she emotes.  Very interesting quality.  Definitely German, and WWII stamped on it - I guess it is timeless.  What do you think?  Thanks for sharing.  I'll check out the next group later.

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Sinem
This post was updated on .
Yes, I know that film and don't know that guy. :)

I don't speak German but I studied German lesson in high school. Much time has passed. I forgot German. not good my foreign language. :/ I agree with you. War always reminds me Marlene. And her homesickness...

Re: Marlene Dietrich

HERE is one I love by Marlene...

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Nick
Yes Mike, all three of us like that one.

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Sinem, Regarding the next Group of videos - Maybe that was Errol Flynn?  I don't speak German one bit.

"I May Never Go Home Anymore" - I love westerns.  She's a perfect bar room Queen.

"Another Spring, Another Love" - That looks like a good movie... Mr. Smith meets Marlene Dietrich.  Jimmy, beware of women who use cigarette holders!  Gretta Garbo, Bette Davis, Gloria Swanson?   "...Talk, talk, talk!  Back then we had facessssss!"  ("Sunset Boulevard")

"Ne Me Quitte Pas" - "Marlene, you are breaking my heart..."

"South American Way" - "Marlene, do you do the Cha Cha... maybe a little Bossa Nova?  I think it suits you..."

"You Do Something To Me" - I love this song!  Haunting the way she sings it, and the old time orchestra arrangement... timeless... maybe a little Deja Vous.  But I wasn't there.  Must be those old movies.  She ditched the cigarette holder - better!

"You Do Something To Me" - Doris does this song so beautifully and upbeat.  She made me love it.  Now there's a bright face, one you could face the morning with!  I feel like singing along (both versions.)

"Wenn Die Soldaten" - Marlene, a women for all seasons!  Me mum () was an officer in the women's Royal Air Force during WWII.  Like Bette Davis, you didn't dare try pushing her around (some tried and got the short end of the stick.)  As a kid, you couldn't get away with anything!  But she had a good sense of humor.

I'll respond to the others later.  Hope I am not boring you...

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Sinem
Dear Mike, I'm glad you liked Marlene. :)

Nick I absolutely didn't bored. I wish my English is good, could talk more. By the way, Your song comments so much fun. :)

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Sinem
This post was updated on .
Bette and Marlene at the Hollywood Canteen in 1943

their wax statue, lifelike, very impressive

Bette visit the troops.

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Good Sinem, I am having fun too.  Your English is very good - I hope you can understand my writing.

My friend Ali from Istanbul, spoke English with a strong Turkish accent.  We worked as a team of 3 or 4 people here in the US.  When he had to make International calls from work, charging them to his credit card, the operator could never understand him.  We could tell because he had to keep repeating himself, over, and over, and over again, until he started to get frustrated.  We couldn't help but giggle, because it happened all the time.

Ali loved Coca Cola.  One day we bought him a "Cherry Coke" for fun (weren't we terrible?)  The bottle was similar to regular Coke.  He took a sip and said:  "This Coke is bad.  Something is wrong with it.  And made a funny face."  We said with a straight face: "It couldn't be bad...  ours tastes good."  "No" he insisted, "It tastes bad!" He was our project manager, so it was funny.  He laughed after we told him, and gave him a regular Coke.  I looked him up on the Internet.  He is now a CEO for a company in Istanbul.  He was very intelligent and wise.  I will have to contact him sometime soon.

Great pictures!  Wax images are very impressive!

Marlene, Bette, and Bob.  Notice Bette is pointing to a picture of Clark Gable.  Bob Hope sure gets around with the starlets, doesn't he?  No question he liked the ladies, and always had his arm around one.  "Knock it off Bob, you cheeky boy!"    I once flew into, and out of, his Airport in Burbank, CA (named after him) - that was cool.

Glenn Ford was a Captain in the Navy.  I liked him too.  Gordon MaCrae was a navigator in the US Air Corps.  I'll watch more videos later.

Bob Hope Airport

  If you over-shoot the runway, you hit the mountains!  Lovely!
1234