MOVIE OF THE WEEK- "STORM WARNING" 1951

"STORM WARNING 1951"After making a string of highly successful, light-hearted musicals at Warner Brothers, 25-year old Doris Day ventures into her first non-singing role, the dramatic "Storm Warning". The film is significant for several reasons, one, it is the only picture in which Doris Day dies, two, it dealt with a subject that was hard-hitting and raw, and three, Miss Day got the opportunity to work with her girlhood idol, the legendary Ginger Rogers and with the future President of the United States, Ronald Reagan.
We discover that Marsha Mitchell (Ginger Rogers) is a fashion model who arrives in a small Southern town to visit her pregnant sister, Lucy Rice (Doris Day). Arriving on a rainy night, she finds the streets totally deserted. Unable to secure a taxi, she decides to walk to her sister's place of employment. In route, Marsha observes a man being chased, then beaten and murdered. The hooded perpetrators are obviously members of the Ku Klux Klan. Hiding in a doorway, she sees the faces of two of them. Terrified, she later tells her sister about the horror she has witnessed. Marsha has never met her sister's husband, but as soon as she is introduced to him, she recognises him as one of the killers. Steve Cochran portrays Hank Rice, Lucy's husband. His performance is similar to the one he played in "White Heat", oversexed and desperate.
Reagan plays the local police chief, Burt Rainy, who is investigating the mob murder of the Northern reporter who was investigating the Klan. Lucy innocently informs Hank that her sister actually saw the attack. Shocked, Hank tells Charlie Barr (Hugh Sanders), a local official and head honcho of the local Klan, who becomes increasingly concerned whether Marsha will or won't talk. Rainy hears that Rogers witnessed the crime, but she is reluctant to reveal the fact that she actually saw the faces of two of them.

The important novelty about this film is that you saw people of colour walking down the street! This is something rarely seen in most forties and fifties films. Their inclusion gave an extra feeling of authenticity to the film. The reviews were generally good to excellent. The Hollywood Reporter wrote: "A sombre but stirring and thought-provoking story, "Storm Warning" spotlights two new dramatic stars, Doris Day and Steve Cochran...Cochran is a standout...lovely Doris is very convincing as the loving wife..." Film Bulletin said, "Every element that went into the filming of "Storm Warning" is of the best calibre. The performances, notably those of Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan, Doris Day and Steve Cochran, are superb." Newsweek raved about Day's acting saying "Surprise of the occasion is the successful casting of the singer, Doris Day in a straight role that calls for considerable dramatic assurance."

The direction by Stuart Heisler and the screenplay by Daniel Fuchs and Richard Brooks provided all that was needed to make this an exciting film. The supporting work by Hugh Sanders, Lloyd Gough and Ned Glass was strong. Praise must also go to the cinematography by Carl Guthrie whose photography helped sustain the film noir quality that was prevalent in so many Warner films.
( Ralph McKnight, New York, March 2002)

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Barbara
"STORM WARNING TRAILER"

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Barbara
Where is everyone on this?
 These last two pictures are painted by "Puck".

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

fluffy cloud

I love the poses off screen eventhough the movie is quite sad.

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

I saw this movie for the first time when the "Ronald Reagan DVD Collection" came out; I bought it just for this movie!

Holy Toledo!  It was more than I expected, and certainly the "darkest" movie Doris was ever in!  The town's corruption ran deep and there was Mr. President, Ronald Reagan, true to form, battling the "evil empire" in the thick of it.  The movie really whips-up to a dramatic, devilish ending, when Ronald Reagan comes to save the day.  However, he is too late to save Doris.  Unthinkable!!!  But she gives the one and only dying scene in her entire career which is very sad, convincing and real.  I can't believe my eyes!!!  This can not be happening!  It's like the ending of "Snow White" with no prince to kiss her and wake her up!  Yes, this film belongs in the Film Noire catagory - no question about that!  What good is it if hero Ronald Reagan saves the day if "America's Sweetheart" dies at the end!

Also, can you imagine Doris and Ginger Rogers in a movie with no singing or dancing?  But they do look like sisters!

These 3-pictures about sum it up!

I need a little cheering up after thinking about it all . . .

Ahhhh, that's better!!!

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Nick, you are so right about this being the darkest movie Doris was ever in except maybe
"Midnight Lace" At least she didn't die in that one, but they had to suspend working on it for
3 days because she almost had a breakdown just from so much trauma she had from the scenes she was having to play, and you know she puts everything she has into each part she is playing.
But this movie "Storm Warning is hard to watch, and one I really didn't care to watch a second time.
Thanks for your input on the movie, and your pictures. And you save the day by the video.
I have heard that song before but haven't seen the video.
And our Dorine is now a working girl, Sent me a picture of the cute Belgium Lace store where she
is working. But has promised not to forget about her friends here.
You know Dorine we can't do without you and all the pictures you find. Thanks for sharing the ones
you have already posted on this movie. Hope we would get more feed back from people who check
on this site.
 Would love to hear other peoples comments or share some of your pictures or videos.
Mike if you read this got you down to post the next movie "Lullaby Of Broadway" That will be a fun
movie.Nick I am like you kind of sad when they cast Doris with her favorite childhood star Ginger Rogers and it has to be a dark and sad movie like this one. They would have been great together in
a musical with singing and dancing.

PS. If anyone knows why my sentences are breaking up right in the middle and starts on
another line let me know. It looks find until I hit post, and then it is a mess the way it breaks up.
I Google it and got a reply that "The raster refresh in my computer is out of sync".
Whatever that is..

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Barbara, try clearing out your "Browser Cache."  The Raster refresh sync has something to do with the way your monitor displays lines, and screen resolution.  It could be that it is not in sync with this website, but I don't know for sure, but you may need to delete your cookies too, and maybe they will reload again properly.  It could be it isn't synced with Nabble properly.  You could always call your computer tech service number for telephone help or check the MicoSoft - "Help and Support" in the start-up menu.  Janet probably knows more about it than me.  I just learn as I go.

You can type your error message into Google search and it will come up with ways to fix your problem.  This is just one of many I found.  I use my computer to learn how to fix all kinds of things (and YouTube too.)  YouTube will show you how to fix problems around the house, with your computer, your car, you name it.  It's amazing!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100426094902AAQioiz

Belgium Lace sounds like a movie.

"Midnight Lace" was definitely dark too, and Doris played a more significant role in that one.  What can be worse than someone persistantly stalking you to commit "red-rum" ("murder" spelled backwards - from "The Shining" . . . another scarey movie. )  I never liked Rex Harrison (or Jack Nicholson - "The Shining") after that.  Creepy!  As good or better than a Hitchcock thriller.

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

I doubt it's the raster refresh. But to fix it you can try the following:

    Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.

    Alternatively, right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
    Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
    Click the Monitor tab, and then click the screen refresh rate that you want to use.

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

I took it back to the guy that has work on it before, he did adjust one thing,
but said the networks have been doing a lot of updates, like Google chrome, Internet Explorer,
everything always looks good on my end until I hit post and then when it is displayed, it breaks up
my writing and starts another line of writing on the next line. Just like it is doing now.

Nick I just now went back and cleared all my browser cache and my cookies, went back as for
as 4 weeks, so now I will see when I hit post message if it has broken up my sentences again.
Hope this works because on Bryan's form he wanted to know what was going on with my writing.
Nope still doing it.I still see it breaking up my sentences.

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Nick
Barbara, it wasn't doing it when you started this topic, so something must have happened since then.  But then I did see it doing that before on other pages.  Something is goofy with your text display not in sync with other text pages.  Did you try Janet's suggestion?

I once had a similar problem with a computer at work, some computer wiz fixed it in 3-minutes.  I can't remember what he did.

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Barbara,

When you are typing your message in to the forum are you hitting the carriage return at the end of each line or letting this editor handle the formatting? I.e. as I type here I'm letting the Nabble editor take care of everything.

Here typing the same I'm putting in the carriage return at the end of each line "When you are typing
everything."

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Barbara
Janet, I think I have did it both ways, I am now on my laptop and I will let the carriage return do it on it's on and see what happens, I did show your note to my computer guy, and he said it was not any of that. So now we will see what happens when I post this message, maybe it was all in letting the carriage return handle it. Yea!!, think that was it. Thanks
Now to get back to this movie. Found a few more pictures.

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

I only use the "carriage return" to start a new paragraph, or between pictures or videos, and double space between sentences.  I let Nabble worry about the format beyond that.  Your first post on this topic may have worked because you "pasted" it in?

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Barbara
Now one more question I have terrible quality when I play video's and it is worse on certain sites especially when I am in you tube. I have Adobe flash player installed, and I am on Windows XP. Google chrome, it will stop and I will have to wait for it to start, and then the quality is usually bad.
I Think I have the latest Adobe flash player installed.

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Who is your Internet Provider Barbara?  And is it high speed?  Did you always have this problem or just recently?  Sounds like a Internet speed problem?  Sometimes the videos slow down for me after watching a lot of them.  I just delete my "Temporary Files" when that happens and it works fine again.  Also, the Youtubes have a video quality button at the bottom that is sometimes adjustable, but I think Janet knows more about this than I do.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems Barbara.  I used to have similar problems with "dial up," but it went away when I purchased a new desktop computer (with Windows 7) a few years ago and went to Comcast.  I am thinking of switching to a Dish network bundle with Internet and TV.  Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Also, you can buy a good speaker system for your computer for under a $100 and have great sound quality (ie. Best Buy stores have them;) much better than what came with the computer!  That is if you don't already have one?  That was a great improvement for video watching and listening.  It's almost as good as my home stereo system.

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Nick
Barbara, I found this fix for Google Chrome and lagging videos.  Apparently it is a problem for many people.  No need to download anything, just read the text.  Hope it helps.

http://rextronics.co.uk/general/how-to-fix-jerky-full-screen-youtube-videos-in-google-chrome/

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

I have to admit: not one of my favorite DD  movies.  In fact, i only saw it one time...when I saw it in the theatres.
I remember it as being very dark. I remember that I learned so much about the Klu Klux Klan and could not believe how much they were allowed to get away with.
The fact that Doris dies in the end did not make me want to revisit the film.  I hesitate to make many comments on these wonderful pages because those of you who read my book have read my epistles on all of her films in there.
I thought Steve Cochran and Doris made a handsome pair...albeit a one time thing. Ditto for Ginger Rogers.  (They should have reteamed for a dancing musical... but no such luck.)
I have said many times...WB did  not know what to do with their star!  By the time they got it right, she had moved on to better things.

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

Nick I do have a high speed internet with Att, I bundle with them with my home phone, cell phone, and internet. And I know they are known for not having good service sometimes especially with videos. Just now downloaded VLC media player, Chrome says this is the best player. But I think my problem is with my internet carrier Att.
Mike you are so right about this movie and everyone else, very dark and depressing, and one you would not want to watch again. So sad her first and last movie with Ginger Rogers had to be one like this. So glad she got away from Warner Brothers, might be the only good decision Marty ever made about her career. But we all have to agree no matter what script was handed her she could do. Weather it was singing or acting. She did it like a pro.

She will always sit "On Top Of My World" ♫♪

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

I must be in the minority but I like this one. A film Noir that Hitchcock wished he had made (or at least that is what I think given he casted DD for his film based on this performance!). Very dark, great performances even though the story was kind of icky ( I who doesn't know much about the history and facts of the KKK found myself a bit confused at times).

I loved Doris' performance in this one, though, and I loved the fact that her character died in the end. It gave Doris material to show other sides of her great acting ability, and it also made the catharsis of the movie greater as the death of the 'innocent' had to be avenged.

Re: DORIS DAY MOVIE OF THE WEEK

  Christie, so good to hear from someone who like this movie. I have always wondered what Doris thought about this movie. Mike in all your readings about her has she ever commented about this movie? I know in A.E. Hotchner  book all I recall him saying was that Ginger Rogers was always Doris idol and it was a dream come true to get to work with her, but was wondering what she thought about the script. Would like to know.