MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

This is one movie I was not particularly fond of, and even Doris herself didn't want to do it.
But being the professional she is, she gave it 110 percent. And I enjoyed all the songs, and of course it had some funny moments.

"Lucky Me" was the next to last film under Doris Day's Warner Brothers contract. Although she has stated that she didn't believe in the project to the same extent that she'd believed in some of her prior films, you'd not know it while watching her performance.
While far from the best film made during her seven years on the Burbank lot, Miss Day is a delight. In technicolor and wide screen (The first musical to be so filmed), she looks a treat. Her performance is filled with spunk, vitality, exuberance and that unmistakable "Doris Day" glow that never seems forced or contrived. From the first moment we see her bouncing down the street letting loose with "The Superstition Song", we are sold. There's not a false moment in her performance. Her comic skills are given a chance to delight us, even if the script might not be as fresh as we might like. Vocally, she runs the gamut from the lovely "I Speak to the Stars" to "The

Bluebells of Broadway". She gives every song the full treatment, again dispelling any displeasure she might have personally felt about this picture.

Paul Brogan

Candy Williams (Doris Day) is a member of a struggling Vaudeville troupe that is stranded in Miami when creditors take all their money. After the leader of the troupe Hap Schneider (Phil Silvers) tries to scam a restaurant out of dinner, they are forced to work at in the kitchen and hotel to pay for the meal. While cleaning a hallway Flo Neely (Nancy Walker) hears Dick Carson (Robert Cummings) singing songs that are for his new Broadway Show. She tells Hap and Duke McGee (Eddie Foy Jr.) that Dick Carson is staying in the Building.
Meanwhile Candy has met Dick Carson But believes he is a mechanic named Eddie. She arranges a date with him and is enjoying a dinner and dance when Hap joins them and spills the beans about Eddie being Dick Carson. Candy leaves thinking that Dick was trying to take advantage of her. To make up for the trouble he caused, Hap arranges a rehearsal of a new song for the troupe so Dick can watch them and audition Candy for his show. However, Candy thinks he is just trying to trick her again. He finally convinces her that he really wants her to play the lead in the play. But when his backers daughter Lorraine Thayer (Martha Hyer) meets Candy she is jealous and says she will not let her father back Dick's show if she is in it. Candy thinks that Dick has been up to his old tricks and leaves.
The troupe is leaving the hotel when they see Dick leaving and are told by his manager that he is giving up the show and going back to New York. Candy realizes that Dick really loves her and she tells the troupe that she is going back to her room and disguise her self to get into Otis Thayer's (Bill Goodwin) birthday party to present Dick's songs and get the backing for his show. The Troupe goes with her and works to get Lorraine out of the way so that Candy can perform.
(From Wikipedia)
Cast[edit]

Doris Day as Candy Williams
Robert Cummings as Dick Carson
Phil Silvers as Hap Schneider
Eddie Foy, Jr. as Duke McGee
Nancy Walker as Flo Neely
Martha Hyer as Lorraine Thayer

Love the opening number.
 "The Superstition Song"

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

Sorry I tried 4 times to post this video the way it was suppose to me posted and it would not post.
having a lot of trouble with my coumpter all it does is spin around and load, and give me error messages. I have clear my browsing data updated by virus protection. Someone else will have to post the beautiful songs from this movie.

Doris singing one of my favorite songs from this movie.

"I speak To the Stars"

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Hollywood
"Don't you wish that you could be..."

I liked this film when I first saw it, but thought it very flawed.  Since I now own it and after repeat viewing, I still think it's not perfect, but it's really grown on me.

Barbara, I think Doris' favorite song is your favorite from this, which she mentions in her book.

Although I like many numbers from this show, like the "Bluebells of Broadway"

But one of my favorites is the "Men" number.  "On Stage for the 'Men' Number!"

http://youtu.be/lPw-46Ek8r0

(either I'm not doing the Embed right or it's not working.  Sorry)

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

The "embed" button doesn't work for me either. There's an alternative way to embed videos. Copy the embed code from YouTube paste it in your message. Check the "HTML Format" box, then post.

From Calamity to drop-dead gorgeous in this film. She just glows!

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Love this one also.

"I Wanna sing Like An Angel" ♫♪

Thanks Nick, I just could not get the Embed code to work anymore

Holly I reposted your video. Just trying it out Nick's way.

"Men"

ed>

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Nick
It's not just me then . . . The embed button don't work!  The HTML format does mess-up your text sometimes though.  You have to monkey with it.

Sing like an angel she does, and acts just as good as a Barrymore would!  Great song for Doris.  It epitomizes her career.

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Barbara
Nick when I paste my video on the page and hit the H2 above I also click on the H2 where it says insert, then hit post message. Don't know if that makes a difference that is just the way I did it the first time and it posted ok

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

yes...this is NOT one of Doris' better films but it certainly did not hurt her career any by being sandwiched as it was between CALAMITY JANE and YOUNG AT HEART.
Doris had little chemistry with Robert Cummings; that showed a little.  I just think of him as too stuffy for her.  On the other hand, Phil Silvers (never one of my favorites) is on a par with Ray Bolger and Billy deWolfe (even though he, Billy, is one of Doris' favorites.)
HOWEVER...."Blue Bells of Broadway" (which was released as a single on flip side of "I Speak To The Stars") was pretty good to watch, and I loved Doris' brogue. (That one is not on Youtube yet...not sure why).. COME ON, CHRISTIE...GET BUSY!!!
Silvers was involved in two other songs that I kind of liked: "Men" with Doris and "You're Dependable" with one of the supporting actresses.  They were both kind of cute.
"Angel's Song" and "Love You Dearly" are both great songs, and they should have been released as singles, but....
At the time when this movie came out, I remember writing to Columbia Records and complaining about the fact that they did not release a 10 LP of the movie songs. They wrote back that, in their opinion, the two best songs were released on a single, and they had no plans to release any others.

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Barbara
This might be all the songs that was release on video from this movie.

"High Hopes"

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Mike:  I can understand where u are coming from about Phil Silvers, but I like him.  He has really grown on me.  I saw part of a documentary a few years back about Phil Silvers and they were going on about wonderful he was.  I had never heard of him before, but can now appreciate him.  I feel that he is able to be a "star in his own right" without taking away from Doris' star moments.  He is a vaudevillian from way back.  He knows what to add to make it more interesting.

I love in the "Men" number when Silvers is literally sliding Doris off the stage and the "Blue Bells of Broadway" where he does that point to the camera.  Love Doris' brogue on that number too!

"I Wanna Sing Like an Angel" is a lovely number, but if you only saw the trailer, it would be weird.  I like the "High Hopes" number, though I can see where Doris' is trying not to be such a perfectionist.

I agree with Doris' though (from her book) that even with all this talent in this film, the film is not great.  I'm more glad she did it now than when I first saw it, but still.  I think she should have still been recovering from her exhaustion from "Calamity Jane".

Nick: Thanks for that tip about the Embeding.  I'll try it next time.
Barbara: Thanks for reposting the "Men" video.

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

I agree with Hollywood about Phil Silvers, annoying yes, but in a good way.  Wasn't he in "Mchale's Navy?"  Obnoxious yes, but entertaining and had energy.  No problem there, but I thought the other two (Eddie Foy Jr. and Nancy Walker) were dead weight in this movie (nothing personal.)  What an odd foursome!!!

The only scene that I didn't like, was the number "High Hopes;" which to me was "over-the-top" with them frolicking in the yard and climbing statutes as the oddest foursome I could never imagine together - not at all believable!!!   I skip that scene when I watch it and the movie flows much better - try it sometime.  It bogs down there, it really does, and picks up immediately after that scene, when Doris's love interest enters the movie.  I thought Robert Cummings played the part of a high-minded, "dirt-scratching beetle" very well; and finally grew-up a little by the end of the movie, as he realized that he was with the wrong "howling coyote" gal - as Calam would say.  I loved the movie except that one scene.  I thought that was so funny when Cummings tackles Doris who was running away, and she says to him: "Who did you play for - Vassar?" - (A hoity-toity girl's college)

I though Doris just shined in this movie, everybody else was just a prop.  This is another movie that totally rides on Doris's on-screen charisma and musical talent.  Clowns to left, jokers to the right, Doris is the only genuine person in the movie - Lucky Her!

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Nick
Sgt. Bilko, on the Phil Silver's Show that's it! Always ahead of you telling whoppers and messing with your head. Sort of Groucho Marx and Don Rickles combined or Robin Williams before Robin Williams. Nanu Nanu . . .

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

I hate to agree with you about Eddie Foy Jr. and Nancy Walker, but yes. That is probably why I like the "Men" number so much, b/c it's Doris and Phil Silvers doing what they do best.  I'll try that trick with the "High Hopes" number sometime.

I love that "Vassar" comment, but I also love when Doris and Co. crash the party near the end.  Funny stuff.

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Yup, just hit the "forward scene" button when they start marching off as a foursome singing "High Hopes."  Before that I believe they explain (while sitting on the bench) that "kissing one ear/cheek is bad luck" . . . that is important information for later.  The only thing you miss is the fact that after breaking the statue, they are in deeper debt to the restaurant owner.

If I remember correctly, it takes you right to the scene where Robert Cummings and his gal, leaving the hotel, crash their car because of Doris and the black cat.  The movie picks up energy at this point as they meet for the first time and the "new fun" begins.  Very funny!  The superstitious Doris is hilarious, so fresh and innocent, and sort of silly, but people are like that - especially about sports and their pregame rituals . . . or "they lost because I forgot to wear my lucky shirt!"

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

fluffy cloud

Lucky Me is a cheerful movie,I remember I enjoyed watching it.I do love the start of the film,it is so Dorissy!

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Nice pix!

I had a question about a pic I found related to this film.  TheInchWorm uses a variation of this as her userpic.  Is this a publicity still or just a photo shot on set? :

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

I have often wondered about that picture,I think it is a publicity one,because Doris' hair is not exactly as in the movie.

Her hair is really strongly styled during the movie,while the other one shows a more natural wave.
difficult to tell,here it is sort of like the other candid one.

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Hollywood
I see what you mean about the hair.  This is the only film where she has this hair (that I know of).

Since you posted a wardrobe test pic, Here are some costume photos I've come across:

And here are some random photos from "Lucky Me":

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

fluffy cloud

This is another photo of that time.

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Nick
Love the fashion drawings Hollywood - absolutely beautiful drawings!  And the pictures everyone!  "Lucky Me" is on TCM today (Wednesday 7/17/2013) at 10:45 am (EST) for those who do not have it.

Re: MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Lucky Me 1954

Hollywood
I just saw that about Lucky Me on TCM 20 minutes ago.  I own the film, but it's cool to watch it screened on Television and hear the before and after commentary from the TCM hosts.