MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

The story of an American heiress, Kit Preston, newly wed to Rex Harrison and taunted by mysterious threats from an unknown person(s), has been done before. Is she crazy? Is she only imagining these taunts as a means of garnering more attention from an unattentive husband or could there actually be someone out to kill her? While a film buff may be able to see some of the holes in the fabric of the story and guess the ending before the final reel, most moviegoers will enjoy the fast-paced ride they are taken on and will easily get caught up in the events unfolding.
Doris Day is outstanding as Kit. She again proves her talent as an actress of depth and remarkable skill. She conveys her mounting fears with virtuoso ability, never going over the top into "hamminess". The production reportedly had to be briefly shut down after an especially harrowing scene in which Miss Day gave too much to the proceedings. She should have received a well-deserved Oscar nod.
Rex Harrison as her husband Tony is suave and dapper, while Myrna Loy is a delight as Day's Aunt Bea. Mix in Herbert Marshall, Roddy McDowell, John Gavin as well as John Williams, and you
have the recipe for high suspense set in lavish surroundings indicative of Hunter's unique film style. Irene's stunning wardrobe, designed for Miss Day, was deservedly nominated for an Academy Award.
If you've only seen Doris Day in her well-loved comedies or earlier musical treats, try "Midnight Lace" which capably displays another side to the multi-talented superstar.
Paul Brogan, October 2000
This film was chosen by Ross Hunter, the producer of her hit comedy, “Pillow Talk.” Playing the role in the film had a great effect on her physically. As the expert she is, she tried to develop a mental image of the woman she was playing and the part became very real to her. She said,
“I became that woman to the best of my ability. To create the fear which the character I played had to project, I re-created the fear in myself which I had once felt in my own life. I relived it. It was painful and upsetting.” In one particular point in the emotional climax of the film, Doris has a very dramatic scene on a descending staircase. She says, “I wasn’t acting hysterical, I was hysterical, so at the end of the scene I collapsed in a real faint.” Production of the film had to be suspended for a few days.
Working with Rex Harrison was a great experience. She said Rex was a “darling, witty man…with a light sense of humor (that) helped keep my sanity balance throughout the rough part of the picture.”
She did love the marvelous wardrobe provided by Irene whom Doris describes as “one of my dearest friends” and “one of the most talented designers in Hollywood.” The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Costume Design
Derald Hendry.

Trailer for "Midnight Lace"

Although this song was not in the movie, I am adding it, because it shows a lot of the pictures from the movie.
"A Foggy Day In London Town" ♪ ♫

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Here was another one that should have received an Oscar, but by now, the Academy Awards People were so in the hole for missing Doris awards, they did not think about it. The scene where she has a nervous breakdown on the staircase was certainly enough to cinch the award, so well deserved.

Also one of the first films up until this point that contained literally no music except over the end titles ("What Does A Woman Do" as an instrumental).  Probably appropriate; no real place for Doris to sing.

Some other great actors in this one: Myrna Loy, Roddy McDowell and Rex Harrison.  A filmatic treat and scary in parts.

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

This is yet another Doris I haven't seen.  Considering what MIKE said in his post and McLean Stevenson said about her deserving an Oscar for this performance when he guest hosted "The Tonight Show" in the '70s AND considering what Doris herself said about creating this performance in her book, I'm EAGER to see this film.  Hopefully I will see it by the end of the year since they are now releasing the DVD of this film here in the USA this year.

More for MIKE:  I didn't really read these posters before.  Not only is Myrna Loy in this like u said (which I didn't know), so is Hermione Baddley, who was also in "Do Not Disturb" with her.  Also, I didn't know Ross Hunter produced this too.  And he says he only produced fluff.

I have several photos that I'm gonna release in a couple more posts.  First, more posters:

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Hollywood
Secondly, the Fashion Stills from "Midnight Lace":

Doris with Irene

In Technicolor

Video on Irene's Nominated Fashions (that BARBARA's post mentioned earlier) in German(?):

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Hollywood
Third post, Behind the scenes shots:

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Thanks Holly, for all your pictures and input on this movie. Love the beautiful fashions that was designed for Doris. Also Mike or Janet, just a quick how did that "Best Buy" video get in here? It is right before Mikes post.
Also Holly you can go on line and watch this movie free. I will post part one for you.
It is a must see movie.
PS. You have to wait and let it load.

</h2>

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Sinem
I love this movie, very mysterious and thriller as Hitchcock's movies. :)

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

bARBARA....you will see more and more ads on the forum because it is no longer free. Janet and I decided that the ads did not bother us, and we really don't want to spend any more on this site than we already have. So...expect to see ads.

Great pics, Holly....and glad to see you back.

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Barbara
Sinem, love your pictures also. Got to get the word to Dorine that we have a new movie posted.
Also I miss Nick's post. Might have to e-mail him after Superbowl Sunday is pased.

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Is this photo from Midnight Lace?
The dress looks like the one she wore to the Oscars w/ Clark Gable, just different hair and gloves.:

Thanks for the support MIKE AND BARBARA.  It's good to be back MIKE!  I think we ALL needed a break during the busy Holidays, but it's good to get back into it now.  I missed it.

Love the photos BARBARA and SIMEN!  BARBARA:  Thx for sharing the movie video.  I saw it earlier and saw where they really wanted me to click.  It looked sketchy, so I didn't click.  Hopefully it will be released on Netflix later this year.

Here is the original photo of a photo that BARBARA posted:

12 more photos in my next post.  See you then.

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Nick has prolific moments and then he rests a spell. Hopefully he will be  back with further brilliant dicussions of music and some gung ho sports talk.

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Here is the last batch of photos I have.  Enjoy these film/publicity stills from "Midnight Lace".
If I've repeated some posted before, I'm sorry.

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Sinem
Thanks Holly, Barbara for pictures :)

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Thank you Mike and Barbara for your kind comments.  Some thoughts... It doesn't matter which Doris Day movie, or TV show, or whatever, that I watch; since I always find myself focusing on Doris, and her actions and responses... to the world around her as she portrays her character in the roles she plays; which always appears so genuine and graceful, so I immediately relate to her as a kindred spirit.  I could go on and on about the depth of that, however, after a while it all starts to sound like the ramblings of a fool.    Especially, after nearly 3-years of opening my heart and soul here in that regard.  I think men react differently to Doris than women.  Maybe I could write a book one day that might be beneficial to the reader of a better way to live.

I am silent only in that words fail me.  I see her picture and I smile.  Perhaps, I could sum it all up in this thought.  I remember the old ideas of chivalry from childhood, when men would lay their coat over a puddle for the lady to walk across, to prevent her feet from getting wet or dirty.  For the most part, I thought that seemed ridiculous as a kid, and still do.  However, in Doris's case, it makes sense.  I guess that is the highest compliment I could ever give, and only to handful of people I have known.  I love Doris, and always will.  I keep her in a special place in my heart.  I have concluded that I do not like to talk too much about her (I already have,) but just to draw from her example, and smile, and enjoy.

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Well said Nick. I think the depth of feeling is there for both men and women. But I think the difference is summed up in a quote I heard, not sure who said it. It was something like "Men adore and want to have her. Women want to be her."

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Nick
BINGO!

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Nick
... And when she sings, I swoon.

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Nick, so good to see your post again, I think Doris is loved the world over, and will never be forgotten. This was a little video that Janet posted by a Scandinavian group named Urban Tales, who wrote a song as a tribute to her.
PS. Just wanted to say again to those who post large pictures, in order for them to be seen,you have to click on (Med) in the box before you post them. I usually always click on med size on every picture I post, just to make sure they post right.

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960

Love this movie and how Doris looked,even if she Always looks stunning this picture really does it with the lovely hairdo and wardrobe.

Re: MIDNIGHT LACE 1960