Let's Talk College Football

1234 ... 10

Let's Talk College Football

As most of you know Nick and I have been talking College Football. He is from Michigan and is a big Michigan Woverine fan, and I am from Alabama and a big Roll Tide Alabama fan, now I know Carol is from Georgia and pulls for those Bulldogs and they have really been doing well this year also, hey beat those Florida gators didn't they Carol?
So I will start if off and leave a couple of Alabama's emblems and Nick and Carol can post some of their school emblems, Nick is real good at leaving videos, Nick you might have to tell me how to leave a video on this new site I don't see the little icon like we had before.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

I don't think Nick has seen the new forum yet...but post your question under the HOW TO topic...and those with technical savvy will reply.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

The Michigan Football program (as well as Towson University's football program, and a spot with Alabama head coach Nick Saban) to be subject of "60-Minutes" this Sunday Night (Nov. 18th, at 7:30 EST.)  The late Mike Wallace of "60-Minutes" was a Michigan grad.

Details at this link. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111612aaa.html

Barbara, I really, really liked "War Horse." I was spell-bound from beginning to end! Thanks, for the recommendation.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Barbara
Nick I knew you would love "War Horse" I thought it should have won best picture, it was so will put together and had a lot of action and the telling of the story was based on a true story, and I loved the scenery of Ireland.  I am kind of upset this morning my local provider Direc TV has put the Alabama game on some off beat channel that I will have to pay to watch, I have called them about it but of course it will not do any good, they are playing some small team but during football season I like to watch them no matter who they are playing. I will watch some of the Michigan game instead, Go Woverines

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Hey...Nick is back.
Glad to see you checking out the new forum.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Nick
I like the new forum Carol.  Still learning how to use it.

I didn't know "War Horse" was based on a true story.  I suspected it, but the bonus "special features" on the DVD didn't mention it.

There is always the radio Barbara.  Turn the sound off the Michigan game, and listen to Alabama while watching the other.

Have a super sparklely day!

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Hey Nick they put it on one of our channels at the last minute, I know they got a lot of calls about it even though it was a run away, all the Bama fans were upset that they were putting it on a station we had to pay for, anyway I got to watch it. And can you believe the upsets that took place today? The number one and two teams going down...Wooo ho Alabama might still have a shot for the BCS title. Nick I am asking your opinion on this, If we beat  Auburn next week  and then how would they decide because I know Georgia could still be in the mix also, I know Notre Dame will be #1 and we could be # 2 but also Georgia is still in there so if we beat Auburn and I am sure we will then how do they decide who plays who?

Re: Let's Talk College Football

So Oregon lost?  I couldn't keep my eyes open at halftime again.  They were tied 14-14.  I was rooting for Stanford.  Got up too early again.

I think Notre Dame has a good chance of beating USC next week - thus could remain #1 to play #2.  That would create a tie for second.  But there are other unbeaten teams out there (ie. Ohio State who we hope to beat next Saturday, but OSU is on probation so they can't play in a bowl game.)  Is Georgia a one loss team?

Usually they first check if the tying teams previously played each other and who won - that breaks the tie.

  Then points are assigned to the remaining teams based on statistics, (total points scores, total yards, strength of schedule, etc.) and the computer ranks them.  Then the football gods probably stir the pot a little too, and voila!  There are some conference championship games to be played too.  So we won't probably know for a few more weeks.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Barbara
Yes Oregon lost in overtime, and you know I was rooting for Sanford  Yes Georgia will be in the mix it they win next week they have only lost one game also. If we beat Auburn next Sat in the Iron bowl and I think we will, then Bama could be playing Georgia to see who will play against Notre Dame for the title. They will be talking about all this on ESPN tonight at 8:30 yes things are getting interesting with the two top teams losing now throws Notre Dame at #1. My grandson who is a big Auburn fan was pulling for Oregon big time last night, they can't stand for Bama to have a shot for the title, I pull for Auburn when they are not playing Bama but he says there is no way he will ever root for Alabama, think that is kind of bad to live in the home state of Alabama and root for the opposing team in a play off like that, but that is how much they hate us. Oh well we will be playing them Sat and all I can say is Rooool Tide..

Re: Let's Talk College Football

The GA BULLDOGS won yesterday so that's a good thing.
Today the Falcons are playing the Cardinals here in Atlanta...GO FALCONS!!

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Barbara
Carol, I think Alabama could be playing Georgia and the winner could be playing Notre Dame for the BCS title, we will see after this weekend, Georgia has a really good team this year but if we play each other may the best team win.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

I think Georgia is better than Notre Dame.  We lost to Notre Dame earlier (should have won that game, but turned the ball over 5 times, often inside the 10-yard-line, and STILL only lost 13-6!)  They are a good solid team, but not that good, in my opinion.  It's the luck of the Irish.  Hard to fight that!  USC may beat them.

Also, Ohio State is unbeaten.  They can't go to the bowl game, because they are on probation for cheating with recruiting, etc., but I don't think that means they couldn't be ranked very high - just can't play in the championship game.  The Michigan vs Ohio State game will be as big as ever this Saturday down at "The Penitentiary" in Columbus.  We would love to dethrone them for you!

Don't forget "60-Minutes" on CBS at 7:30 pm EST, tonight, on the importance of large-scale football programs to colleges and universities.  They are looking at Michigan, Towson, and Alabama.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Barbara
I can't believe Nick I had a whole page of writing and hit the backspace and it all went away  hate that when that happens. Well I see we have the famous Roy Rogers on board now, He was my favorite cowboy when I was growing up, spent many a Saturdays at the movies watching him. Nick I didn't get to watch the channel you suggested because it was coming on at the same time ESPN was talking about who they thought  would be playing who, and the top 20 standings. Just remember a couple of them thinking Notre Dame even though they haven't lost is really not that good, they seem to think any of the top 5 teams could beat them, I thought that was interesting. So I guess it comes down to Bama beating Auburn and then we will be playing Georgia for the BCS title and the winner of that game plays Notre Dame for the SEC national championship game. I guess now I am more worried about beating Georgia, they are playing really good, and I know Bama has already proved they can play really bad at times, our coach says our defense needs work they miss on a lot of key plays, and sometimes our quarterback is really on his game and sometimes he is off bad, so who know how it will all pan out. Carol if you read this and Alabama plays Georgia for the BCS title you need to watch that game will be played on Dec 1. Should be one of the best games of the year.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

I had that happen once here too Barbara.  It didn't post and I thought I lost everything.  So I hit the "page back" button at the top left of the browser window and it returned back to the page I typed in.  Try that next time.  Also, copy the page before posting.  Right click, "select all" then click "copy."

Here's the "60-minutes" video replay.  It was a very interesting interview about College Football.  Did you know only 22 programs out of 120 something out there break-even or even make money?  The rest lose money!  They talked with the Michigan Athletic Director and Nick Saban too.  Football programs market the entire school so that is why even the ones that lose money do it.  Michigan and Alabama both made $10-million off that first game in Arlington.  Half of that pays Nick Saban's salary of $5M.

Only about 13 minutes long.  Opens to full-screen.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50135410n

Roy Rogers was one of my heroes too.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Nick when I clicked on, and then tried to click on where it says watch segment. It would never go to the video. I saw at the top where it says log in and register but I didn't do all of that. I don't know if that is why it didn't open up or not. Well how do you think the Alabama and Georgia game will turn out? got any predictions?  PS I think it is outrageous that they pay that kind of money to colleges and coaches.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

I don't know Barbara.  The link opens the video for me automatically.  It starts with an advertisement first.  Maybe Mike or Carol could try it and see if it works for them?  I didn't need to log-in.  There are three web extras ("60-minutes Overtime") on the same page further down, but not as comprehensive as the link I posted before (you'll see one of the three extras with a picture of Nick Saban in the middle.)

I have no predictions for Georgia/Alabama yet.  I haven't seen Georgia play.  Is it certain they will play?  First you have to beat Auburn.  After the loss to Texas A&M, they will be sure to study that film.  So Alabama has to win that one first.

Here's the link again.  Try refreshing the page if it still doesn't start.  It discusses the big money.  Brady Hoke doesn't make that kind of money, I can guarantee that!  Nick Saban turned the Alabama program around out of "the red," and two National Championships, so that is probably why he is getting $5M+.  Even Nick Saban says, he's probably not worth it.  But that is discussed, and why "60-Minutes" is covering it.  Very insightful into the business of college football and student athletics.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50135410n

Re: Let's Talk College Football

The last time Michigan Athletics was in "the red," was in the 1960's, but then a new Athletic Director Don Canham began marketing college football at Michigan.  He set the standard for marketing College football and sports - which is probably why "60-Minutes" is at Michigan.  He was a business marketing genius, and all the schools followed his lead.  He made tail-gating "the rave," when that wasn't happening, among many other things.   He said he marketed the games to the "woman of the household" since she made the plans for the weekend.    It worked!  Since then, over 100,000 fill the stadium every Football Saturday since.  I worked for him once.  He was an incredible man, and passed away about 9-years ago.  I went to his memorial service.  David Brandon is the AD now, and he is pretty good, but even he would say Michigan's Athletic Program success is still largely the influence of Don Canham.

I have something in common with football legend Bo Schembechler, and many other coaches - I was hired by Don Canham too.  I'll never forget that job interview.  I did not know it until I walked into his office for the interview, and recognized him as he came over to shake my hand!

There are some incredible "Mr. C" stories out there.  He had contacts all over the US, and the world.  People liked him, and he made things happen in a big way!  And the ABC media personnel (including Keith Jackson - the "Whoa Nelly " guy) covering the games couldn't wait until the game was over to attend Don's after-the-game party - strictly first class, with all the wives there, of course.  Don was a good man, and the most stylish AD Michigan will ever have, and he had "The Midas Touch."

Here's Don Canham.

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Here's my alma mater!

Re: Let's Talk College Football

Nick
"Enthusiasm is the mother of effort, and without it nothing great was ever acheived." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go Huskies, Go Blue, and Roll Tide!
1234 ... 10