LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

After being second banana in a few films, Gene Nelson gets a co-starring role. Doris and Gene do some amazing dancing. The soundtrack album reaches #1 and the title song (the version recorded with Harry James) becomes a big seller that year.  For those who truly love Doris at her best, singing AND dancing, few of her films can match this one. The co-stars and supporting players are perfect foils for each other.

The story revolves around entertainer Melinda Howard (Doris) who has been touring with a small theater company through the European provinces, only being able to survive with the money sent to her from her Broadway star mother, Jessica Howard (Gladys George). Melinda decides to go back to New York to surprise her mother whom she hasn't seen in years. She performs on the ship as part of her fare back to the States.
 What Melinda doesn't know is that her mother is a washed up drunkard whose only job is to sing at a seedy after hours club--- that is when she's not in the hospital trying to sober up.

The first song by Doris in the movie is the bouncy, “Just One of Those Things”, which she does in top hat and tails complete with tap dancing.  Doris, the dancer, is back. After leaving the ship,  Melinda heads to the swanky Manhattan address her mother has provided, which in reality belongs to beer baron Adolph Hubbell (S.Z.Sakall), who also has financed some Broadway productions. He employs as his butler and maid Lefty Mack (Billy deWolfe) and Gloria Davis, friends of Jessica's who also used to be in the theater. Intercepting Melinda, Lefty comes up with a plan to reunite mother and daughter for one night in the Hubbell house. Adolph goes along with the plan when he hears it is for Jessica's benefit. But the reunion can only happen if Jessica stays sober enough.

In the meantime, Melinda catches the eye of famed Broadway entertainer Tom Farnham (Gene Nelson), who wants to partner with her both professionally and personally. That partnership may be threatened by the ensuing father-daughter like relationship that develops between Adolph and Melinda, which is seen by others, including a suspicious Anna Hubbell (Florence Bates) - Adolph's wife - as more a romantic one. The dancing partnership of Day and Nelson is well worth watching. This is a team to rival the best of Astaire and Rogers!

And how about the wonderful music?  Read on...

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

THE MUSIC FROM "LULLABY OF BROADWAY"

The #1 top ten movie soundtrack was released as a 10" lp with 8 songs/also as a set of 45 rpm records (4 in all). THE SONGS WERE:

"Lullaby of Broadway"  the title song which is performed in the album with backing by the Norman Luboff Choir. However, a single release by Doris with Harry James was the one which climbed the charts big time.
"Fine and Dandy"  A fun up-tempo song by Doris with the Choir; it was one of the songs to which Doris and Gene danced.
"Shanty in Old Shanty Town"  This song was song by Doris’ mother in the film in a tavern setting. Doris does her classy version of the song on the lp.
"Somebody Loves Me"    Another toe tapper; this one was done by Gene Nelson in the movie.
"Just One of Those Things"   Doris makes this one her own, along with a special dance number.
"You're Getting to Be a Habit With Me"   The first song and dance routine done by Doris and Gene.
"I Love The Way You Say Goodnight"  The movie’s big production number, song and dance by Doris and Gene. This was the only new song added for the movie.  It was released as a single with “Fine and Dandy” on the flipside.
"Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone"  This was another song done in the movie by Doris’ mother. On the album, it is performed  to good effect as a closing song by Doris to finish this #1 album.  Listen to how Doris fades out the song at the end….a great ending to a great #1 album.
*Incidentally, omitted from the album was a perfectly delightful song and dance to introduce Gene Nelson in the movie. It was "Zing Went The Strings of my Heart". Unfortunately, I know of no place except the movie soundtrack where you can hear it.
BELOW: some of the youtubes available from the movie...can you find more?

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

Movie Finale:

SOMEBODY LOVES ME:

JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS:

I LOVE THE WAY YOU SAY GOODNIGHT

YOU'RE GETTING TO BE A HABIT WITH ME

PLEASE DON'T TALK ABOUT ME WHEN I'M GONE

FINE AND DANDY

IN A SHANTY IN OLD SHANTY TOWN

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

THE TITLE SONG from the movie was sung by Doris with the Norman Luboff Choir. Here is that version directly from the #1 Hit Album:

LULLABY OF BROADWAY (SOUNDTRACK VERSION)

In case you have forgotten it (and I don't see how that is possible), here is the hit version of the title song that tore up the jukeboxes in 1951 when Doris recorded it with Harry James (the flip side of "WOULD I LOVE YOU, LOVE YOU, LOVE YOU".
Many music critics say it is both Doris and Harry at their absolute best...

LULLABY OF BROADWAY (HIT SINGLE WITH HARRY JAMES)

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

Thanks Mike for that wonderful introduction to this wonderful movie. Love all the video's and pictures you posted too.
This is a favorite musical of mine and one of Doris best. Superb dancing and singing by both Doris and Gene Nelson.

Doris opens the picture with the spectacular Cole Porter tune, "Just One of Those Things" wearing a top hat and tails.  What a great number! The act that Tom and Melinda perform at the party is charming and showcases the dancing talents of both Day and Gene Nelson who plays Tom.  The old Harry Warren/Al Dubin song, "You're Getting to be a Habit with Me" is smooth and breezy.  Gene Nelson and Doris get to dance quite a bit in the picture.  In a rehearsal for the upcoming show called "Lullaby of Broadway", they sing and dance to "Somebody Loves Me" and in an "impromptu" number on Broadway (this must be fantasy Broadway), they sing and dance to "I Love the Way You Say Goodnight".  This last song is partially shot in slow motion and is beautifully edited.  It allows you to see how flexible and acrobatic Nelson and Day are and it was an interesting touch you rarely see in musicals.
And how she could dance up and down those steep stairs in that long gold gown with heels, Iwill never know.

"Trailer For LULLABY OF BROADWAY"

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

fluffy cloud
How I love this movie!! Thanks Mike for the great introduction.The dancing is simply smashing and Doris and Gene make a fab dacingcouple.I also like the whole story and how it is turning into a happy end.

Also it's amazing how Doris dances in this movie.She simply swirls.

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

Barbara
Love that first picture you posted Dorine of Doris and Gordon, haven't seen that one before.
I painted one from this movie, don't know were it is at the present.
It was this second picture of Doris in her top hat and tails, I did it in color, if I find it I will post it.

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

This is one of my favorite musicals that Doris did.
The was just fabulous dancing up and down those stairs in that gorgeous gown.
Wonderful songs in this movie.

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

I watch this movie until I've had enough and can't understand why I watched, b/c the plot is so fluffy...but I know it's b/c of all these wonderful song and dance numbers.  They are superb!  Comparing this with say, "Calamity Jane":  Calamity has the better plot, the song level is about equal.  Calamity has some good dance numbers, esp "I Just Blew in From the Windy City" but "Lullaby of Broadway"'s dance numbers shoots the rest of Calamity's outta the prairie, esp the final one.  WOW!  I'm so proud of Doris for going thru with it b/c all the effort was worth it.

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

Barbara
You are so right Carol and Holly about the wonderful singing and dancing that Doris does in this picture. Danced like a pro, but I think I read somewhere although she like working with Gene Nelson she didn't know about doing another musical  with him, Said it was just a little too much dancing when she worked with him, and it called for a lot of rehearsing.
I forgot the guy's name that help Doris with a lot of her dancing numbers but here they are in this first picture practicing.

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

Hollywood
I can see that Gene's dancing would take a LOT of rehearsal!  He probably rehearsed as much as Astaire/Rogers, since that was his/their idols.

I think the gentleman in that rehearsal photo is "Choreographer Donald Saddler (who) said Doris was one of the most talented dancers with whom he had ever worked."
(Source: http://www.dorisday.com/multimedia/timeline)

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

Thanks Holly yes you are so right that is the one who helped Doris with her dancing, Donald Saddler,
I just forgot his name, here is another shot of them.

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

fluffy cloud

Yes,as "Tea for two" was made Adam Saddler stepped in to give Doris choreographylessons.
As for Gene Nelson,let's not forget his first wife,Miriam was a Broadway Choreographer.She thought it dangerous to come and dance down the steep stairs,but they still did it and how!

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

Barbara
Great pictures Dorine,

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

ME, TOO. It is impossible NOT to LOVE this movie!

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

Hollywood
I've loved everyone's photos, but Dorine, your photos are A-Mah-ZING and I love this lil video clip.  Thank you for sharing.  You all are right:  How can you NOT LOVE this film??  Weeeeeeee!  "Sheeeeee!" ~S.Z. Sakall

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

I agree!  And in Technicolor!!!

Let's not forget Billy De Wolf and Ann Triola- "You're Dependable."

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

Dorine always finds great pictures, I wonder how she finds them?

Re: LULLABY OF BROADWAY 1951

She just knows all the places to look.

And Nick, Billy De Wolf became one of Doris dear friends, He was in a lot of her TV shows. "Her ever complaining neighbor "Mr Jarvis"