LOVER COME BACK 1961

Barbara

A series of misunderstandings leaves an advertising executive with a campaign for a product which has not been invented yet while he romances his rival in the guise of its inventor.
Director: Delbert Mann
Writers: Stanley Shapiro, Paul Henning
Stars: Rock Hudson, Doris Day, Tony Randall
The movie-going public was waiting with anticipation for this movie.  The re-teaming of Doris Day and Rock Hudson. How could they equal or top "Pillow Talk", which had been a runaway hit- garnering Miss Day with an Oscar nomination and hurling her to the No. 1 spot on the Herald's Top Box Office list?
Critics were sharpening their poison pens and their wit, to bring down those who have climbed to the top of the heap.  They were shocked to discover that screenwriter, Stanley Shapiro, now teamed with Paul Henning had produced a clever, bright script that actually equaled or bettered "Pillow Talk". Doris Day's performance was much improved here, for she had found the right key in which to present the totally sophisticated character of Carol Templeton and Rock Hudson (Jerry Webster) looked more comfortable playing comedy than he did in the former film.  This movie became an instant success and was hailed as a triumph by the majority of film critics worldwide.
This time 'around, there was a better director, Delbert Mann, who handled this material with an expert's touch.  In reality, the film is very much like "Pillow Talk" because of the deceptive nature of the story, but the lines are funnier here and the situations are more risqué.
Jerry Webster and Carol Templeton work for rival advertising agencies on Madison Avenue.  Webster's firm has a reputation of stealing accounts from other agencies by using unscrupulous tactics to nab new accounts (wine, women and sex). Carol has plans to snag the Miller's Wax account, which is metamorphosing it's image with a new can and Templeton has, she thinks, just the right ideas to convince Mr. J. Paxton Miller (Jack Oakie) to give the account to her firm.  Webster, on the other hand, decides to shower the gentleman with liquor, women and carnal activities.  Guess who wins out? Furious at Webster's tactics, Carol accidentally learns from Webster's some times girlfriend, nightclub performer, Rebel Davis (Edie Adams) that he is going after a new account for a product called VIP.  Determined to "get even" with Webster for stealing the Paxton account, Carol sets out to outsmart her competition.She begins to mount a campaign for a product that doesn't exist.  Jerry Webster invented "VIP" to accommodate Rebel's disappointment in him at not getting her lucrative commercials and to bribe her into not testifying before the Advertising Council against him for unprofessional tactics in advertising.  You see, Carol Templeton has filed a complaint.
A determined Carol finds out that a Dr. Linus Tyler is the inventor of VIP and she sets out to snag the VIP account.  Meanwhile, Webster has employed Tyler to invent any product and call it VIP to save him from being barred in advertising and to prove that VIP does indeed exist.  All of this is occurring without Carol's knowledge, of course, and when she arrives at Dr. Tyler's laboratory in Greenwich Village, it is Jerry Webster that she meets, thinking that he is the doctor.  Being the wolf that he is, Webster does not reveal his true identity to sexy Carol, and decides to get back at his rival by romancing her, eventually into the bedroom. The plot is rather similar to that of "Pillow Talk" in a lot of places, but the script is sharper, filled with double entendres of a sexual nature and running gags, the funniest being between Jack Albertson and Charles Watts, as a couple of hotel guests who gleefully observe Webster's blatant womanizing from afar.
Playing "two roles", Rock Hudson is wonderful as Webster and in his shy, virgin-like disguise as "Dr. Tyler".  Audiences were rooting for him to bed the beautiful Miss Templeton in a very funny scene in which Webster voices doubt that he will "ever marry".  He has played the shy-guy routine to the hilt, convincing Carol that he is "not a man and that no woman would ever want me".  Carol pleads with him not to feel that way about himself, as wolf Jerry maneuvers her into the bedroom.  Just as she has decided to help him prove his manhood, she is "saved" by a phone call from her boss informing her that the man in her apartment is not Dr. Tyler.  She then finds out that he is actually Jerry Webster, her arch rival!   You can guess the rest.
Doris Day looked glorious in this film.  Of course, she handled the comedy like the expert she is at this sort of thing and the chemistry with Rock Hudson was perfect.  Tony Randall was again cheated out of a best supporting actor nod by the Academy and there was able support throughout by Edie Adams, Jack Oakie, Jack Kruschen (the real Dr. Tyler), Ann B. Davis, Joe Flynn and Donna Douglas.  Day sang two songs, the title, "Lover Come Back" and the ballad "Should I Surrender?"Ralph McKnight, New York, June, 2001

Re: LOVER COME BACK 1961

Trailer For "Lover Come Back"

Lover Come Back "Should I Surrender" ♪ ♫

Doris singing "Lover Come Back" With scenes from the movie

Re: LOVER COME BACK 1961

Re: LOVER COME BACK 1961

Re: LOVER COME BACK 1961

I'm surprisingly at a loss for words to add anything to this discussion that hasn't already been said.  So, until I come up with something (if I come up with something), here are some photos from "Lover Come Back" for your enjoyment.  Wait!  Just thought of a comment:  Why is it called "Lover Come Back"?  Is it b/c of the ending?  Make no sense otherwise.  Hmm...

Re: LOVER COME BACK 1961

Sinem

Re: LOVER COME BACK 1961

anialek36

Re: LOVER COME BACK 1961

fluffy cloud

Doris with big hair and long version of the dress...

Re: LOVER COME BACK 1961

Hollywood
@fluffy cloud:  Though this is fun/funny to look at, I'm glad they shortened the skirt and lowered the hair.  It's one of my favorite looks from the film and it wouldn't have looked right if they okayed this wardrobe test.

Re: LOVER COME BACK 1961

Hollywood
"Lover Come Back" is on TCM right now for Doris' 90th Birthday!

Happy 90th Birthday Doris!

See the full schedule: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2014-04-03

Enjoy!

Re: LOVER COME BACK 1961

Nick
I thought this was great! I really liked Rock Hudson too. Loved his movies, and TV. Especially the ones with Doris, the Hudson/Sirk movies, "Battle Hymn" is another great one! I guess that was directed by Douglas Sirk also. I agree Doris!

Doris on Rock for TCM

Battle Hymn Trailer - True and very moving story