Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

1 ... 1415161718

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
What's Going On?

This is gospel... soul jazz... Motown!

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
Michael Franks bought a guitar when he was 14 years old for $29.00, which included six private lessons.

He never studied music formally, but received a Bachelor of Art degree in comparative literature, a Master of Arts degree, and pursued a Ph.d before returning to part-time teaching... but all along accompanied himself singing on guitar... and listening to music.

I think he did pretty good...

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
I once knew someone named Chris Connor.  Hmmm.... let's reflect... let's see... 1965...

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
This will test your sound system.

Johnny Keating

This one's from Kermit.  Hah!

Monday... raining... first day of Spring...

It's Friday... and the last day of March... tomorrow is April already!  Yay!!!  What a life!!!

Happy Birthday Miss Doris!!!  Sending you lots of "Doo-Dah" and good wishes!

More "Do, do, dit, doo-wahs..."  Mr. Lucky, I like that!

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
Groovy track Miss Sinatra...

Let's go back to the '60s... I mean really... anyone got a time machine?

I'm in love with "The Anita Kerr Singers...♥"

Mark Murphy... what a voice... what a band!

I am guessing, that this is what goes on in Burt Bacharach's mind... chord melodies.  Of course he wrote this... wonderful lyrics too.

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
Speaking of Bacharach, I think the harmonies on this song performed by the Anita Kerr Singers are flawless... as usual.

I heard Ringling Brothers Circus has gone out of business... after 150 years; only to be seen in the movies now.  "Jumbo" is one of my favorites and celebrates the circus life in all its glory and sadder moments... for all posterity, in a delightful musical.

I can't live without my Bossa!!!   They always jazz this song up too much.  I guess that's because it's a standard.  This version is pretty good.

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
-continued-

I guess the story is, Kenny Dorham wrote "Blue Bossa" and it appeared on a Joe Henderson album in 1963 called "Page One."  Kenny played jazz trumpet and was into Bebop so that would explain why it is often so jazzy in so many interpretations.  It was written to feature a bass line and trumpet... a mixture of Bebop, Bossa Nova, and syncopation.  I read that most performances fail to feature the bass line.  I am adding some crazy bass to my version, but more Bebop than this.  It's really more jazz than relaxed Brazilian bossa.  Now we know why it is a Jazz Standard.  But suit yourself to the style... it's a great tune.

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
One more thought about the song "Blue Bossa" which was composed by an American in 1963 (previous 2 posts above.)  The first "Bossa Nova" song was called "Chega de Saudade" (1958?)which means "No More Blues."  So this was a play on that idea... I suppose...a Blue Bossa.  Good luck finding consistency in the lyrics; I have found several different lyrics, but one set of lyrics is clearly about a lost love that lives on in one's heart.  Like "Deep Purple" or "Stardust" song.  Good job Mr. Dorham.

Frank Sinatra was awesome, it's hard to believe those days are over.  That's "saudade"... Google it.

1 ... 1415161718