Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

1234 ... 18

Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

There are so many different categories of music (Jazz, Pop, Rock, Country, Reggie, Folk, Show-tunes, Big Band, Fusion, Soul, Latin or Ethnic, Classical, or whatever...) I thought it would be easier to just have a "catch-all" topic rather than 50-million separate music topics.  So post away, whatever is on your mind, or just sit back and enjoy!  You can post your Doris Day songs here too.

In fact, I think I will start it off with one of my favorite Doris Day songs: "It Could Happen To You." - 1965.

Note: Doris's interpretation is a fine line between being in "love" and being enslaved - right on the edge - BRILLIANT!!!  It's as if she is helplessly caught in a rip-tide, and being swept away to sea; but in a sad and blissful resignation - but she knows she's toast.  The song is a WARNING ... and she gets it right on the money!  "Ain't it so Doris, ain't it so!  Aaaand How!  You're speaking to the choir!"  The Melodramatic score indicates this too.  I love it!

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

The version posted above is the 1965 version, but Doris owned this song when she first recorded it with Les Brown in 1946.  She seemed to understand the song and lyric back then too, but I like the '65 version best - as the depth of understanding is deeper.

Compare the two versions above with Diana Krall's more recent version below.  As much as I love Diana's Krall music, I think she misses the point of the song; it's not the right interpretation of song.  The arrangement contradicts the song and lyrics, and thus does not achieve the full potential of the beautiful richness of the song.  Diana's is one-dimensional, but Doris's versions are 3-dimensional - Doris owns this one!  Oh well Diana, kudos for trying to be different - I still love your other stuff.

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Great idea Nick! These few weeks I'm exploring a bit with my musical sounds and I learned that I really enjoy Ska-punk!!!! It's fun, it's loud and it has a combination of musical instruments that have stopped being used in mainstream music.

A little history about ska I found out: http://www.ehow.com/about_5085637_ska-music.html

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Kermit likes some SKA PUNK - Oh ya!  Where do I sign?

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Those were the dudes I was actually listening to!

Warms up these gloomy days!!

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Yes, IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU is a magical song by D D, but how about this one?

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
I love it!  I have the "Uncollected Doris Day with Page Cavanaugh Trio" CD with her superb singing of the standards including that song.

How about this gal - Stacey Kent?  She does a lot of songs that Doris recorded too; she must be a fan!  She does a nice Bossa Nova too!

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
Stacey Kent - "Little Girl Blue"  I'm guessing she followed Doris Day's music.  There are a whole bunch more too, including those posted above.

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Well, so much for the happy songs.  How about young, bored, apathetic, defiant and blue?  A winning combination indeed!  Wrong!  But Kermit fell in love with this song the first time he heard it.  I dig the groove . . . stops me in my tracks.  I guess it's about growing up and moving on.

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Spring is here!  Kermit is taking a vacation for awhile.  Stacey Kent is one of the best jazz singers out there today.  No doubt about it!

She sounds great live too!

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
Meet Stacey Kent, and her husband - consummate artists.  It's so nice to hear creative, enthusiastic, and intelligent people talk about their music.  This is how it's done.  Awesome!

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

More Stacey Kent.  Doris #1, Stacey Kent moves to #2 - I could listen to her all day.  Ella #3, Karen Carpenter #4.  Best female singers ever!

Postcard Lovers - Live

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

OH MY, NICK....you forgot a few. How about:
  JO STAFFORD

  TERESA BREWER

  JONI JAMES

  PATTI PAGE

  ROSEMARY CLOONEY

  SARAH VAUGHAN

 to name a few of the great ones?

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nope, I didn't forget - I am not talking "greats."  Best female singing voices!  Those are MY top 4 pop/jazz female singers - based on singing, style, voice quality, not including musical arrangements - that wouldn't be fair.  Rosemary Clooney maybe #5 or #6.   Julie Andrews, Diana Krall, and Patsy Cline are right in there too.  I don't really pick beyond #5.  I don't expect many to agree, but that is what I think.  There have been, and there are a lot of great female singers, but I am talking MY tops - in my opinion, my ears tell me so.

How about Streisand, Natalie Cole, Diane Reeves, Stevie Nicks (the Queen of Rock) Shirley Bassey, Peggy Lee, Vera Lynn, Taylor Swift, Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt?  Madonna (Queen of Pop) too, I don't really like her, but she is talented and can sing!!!  But they don't make the inner circle.  Sorry people. . . Kermit knows!!!

Stacey Kent  is the best currently performing that I have heard.  I don't say that lightly.  Check out the many songs above too.  She is awesome!  You can throw in Karin Allyson too.  Kermit knows . . .

Manhattan - as good or better than Ella's - that's hard to do!   She makes it sound easy as always!!!  Only Doris did that . . . and Karen Carpenter.

I am sure I forgot someone?  And there are some that I probably don't know about.  Personal preference always factors in too.  Just stirring-the-pot a little.

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Hmmmm . . . It's a frog's prerogative to change his mind.  Why you ask?  Because only Doris Day's and Karen Carpenter's singing gives me goose bumps consistently - they hit "the sweet spots."

Doris #1 - the most versatile and excellent singer ever.
Karen Carpenter #2 - Her voice is one of a kind.
Ella #3 - I love her singing, she's excellent, but I am not a huge fan.
Stacey Kent #4 - I am becoming a fan and she is the only one here still performing.  Her singing makes me sit up and take notice.  She's got my attention!

Whitney Houston fits in there too - somewhere in the top 5 to 10 of truly gifted songbirds.

Songbirds sing with the gift of natural effortlessness, intuitive understanding of the lyrics, song, phrasing, and feel for the music, and are always in tune, no matter how bad the song or the arrangement.  But give them a good song, a good arrangement, and they hit a home run!

Too bad Karen's singing was cut short.  This one gives me goose bumps, and so does Doris's version!   Kudos to Richard Carpenter too for making it happen.
Our Day Will Come

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Nick
Kermit digs Julie London.

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

A tribute to Ollie McLaughlin (1925-1984) and his discoveries.

I just learned this weekend, that Ollie McLaughlin lived a few blocks over from me growing up.  Who's Ollie McLaughlin?  He was a local 60's DJ at WAAM (formerly WHRV) radio in Ann Arbor, who became the producer for many Motown artists and others including:

Deon Jackson, Deon Jackson went to my high school.  Man, what a world, I just found out!  Kermit was just a tadpole!
"Love Makes The World Go Round"

Barbara Lewis - "Baby I'm Yours" and "Hello Stranger"

Cool Jerk - "The Capitols"

Del Shannon - "Runaway"  I believe this huge hit was Ollie's first discovery.

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Wow, Nick...You sure know how to pick them.  Funny....when I read about JAZZ GREATS, people always say Doris is second only to Ella. Not for me...Ella doesn't even come close.
Besides...I hate SCAT!

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Not sure which post you are referring to Mike?  There are too many without responses - gets confusing.  I should slow way down like everybody else . . .

What about Ollie McLaughlin (above)?  Ever hear of him or his discoveries or hits?  Maybe I should get into radio with my constant yak, yak, yak or become a producer/promoter?  Teaching maybe?  A 5th or 6th career?  I am not finished yet!!!  Need to spend more time solving that question and less time chatting online.  I am beginning to abhor social networking and today we discover "they" are watching us.

I don't mind a little scat, but Ella went a little overboard with it.  She was just having fun with the band, acting like an instrument with her voice, improvising with the band.  I'd rather it was kept to a minimum, but she was still good.  I think Diane Reeves has a superb voice!!!

Lou Rawls and Diane Reeves

Re: Kermit's Anything Goes Music Blog - If you don't know where to post it, post it here!

Yes...Diane Reeve was very good.
Don't stop, Nick....once Christie went down her gopher hole, and Barbara hurt herself and Dorine went out to work 3 jobs and Carol got sick...whew....it got a little sparse in here but you have helped to keep it alive....greatly appreciated.  We luv ya!
1234 ... 18