Kermit, What is Music?

Nick

Excellent Question!!!

A professor at the UC Berkeley School of Music used the most simple definition; that music is: "Sound in time." The two basic elements are "Sound" and "Time Intervals," it all starts there. So Kermit, does that mean beating a drum with a stick is music? Technically, yes - in it's most basic form. There are other interesting sounds too, but that is correct.

Music is sound in time. Like this.

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Nick

What is sound Kermit?

I thought you would never ask. It's waves of energy or vibrations! Very scientific!!! How does sound relate to musical instruments Kermit? I don't know, let's ask Dr. Suzuki.

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Cool topic Nick and Kermit! You guys always keep our minds thinking! I started playing the ukulele and boy..I'm telling you...the sounds I'm making ...ain't music!!

Somewhere in the definition must come 'harmony' ? Right? isn't that what they learn in music school? I don't know about the theory...I'm a self taught hidious sound maker ...but I'm enjoying it!

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Nick
Never tried a ukulele Christie, but just play with it until you find some nice sounds in it. I am hoping Kermit can help us as I need to learn more myself. Kermit found this and I thought it was very interesting. I might try and chart this out myself, to learn the relationships of the notes. I think that is the key to chords (harmony) and understanding the logic of the notes, which is mathematical and apparently geometrical too.

Everything is Nothing

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Nick

Each number corresponds to a note

Part 2, How Songs Are Written

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Nick

Part 3 - Into The Warp Zone

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Nick
So much for theory Kermit. Let's hear something. I am getting a headache.

First make sure it is in tune Christie

There are Ukulele tuning videos on YouTube and a million songs. Looks like a fun instrument. Every minstrel should have one.

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Nick and Kermit thanks so much for the theory lesson videos. They are very interesting and I will have a look at all of them. I'm interested in learning this. It's a good way to get my mind off of studying for school :)

Actually, regarding the ukulele. I don't have time to practice a lot and I try to practice when I am home alone so I don't disturb anybody's peace and quiet but I have managed pretty good this far. I was only joking before  I can play 'somewhere over the rainbow' and a few other tunes like this one:

I bought me an electronic tuner so I'm all set with that and I have bought Ukulele for dummies. :)

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Music theory is interesting in small doses, but it starts to sound like Martian talk fast. But I think it is good at least know that it exists. I wonder how many famous songwriters, and performers actually know it, maybe 50%, probably much less? So it is not essential, but it can be very helpful. If you want to get rich and live on a hill, then you might want to write some songs Christie. Some basic music theory could help one to write good songs . . .

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Nick
Will we ever run out of new music?

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

I certainly hope not.  But then, this old fogey still looks back for the best.

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Nick
Mike, as the chief Kahuna at "Songs and Memories," I think you should watch this.

"Why Do We Feel Nostalgia?"

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

you are always on the ball, my friend.  Where are you hiding Barbara? No sports talk now?

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Nick
Kermit, what is cool? Well... first of all, you can't fake it. Always remember that!

Re: Kermit, What is Music?

Nick
Now that it's almost Spring, it's time for singing lessons with Prof. Mulerr...