JULIE

Hollywood
*sings* "Juuuuuullliiiieeeeeeee??"

Re: JULIE

1956   JULIE

Co-starred with Louis Jordan, Doris spends the film running from a deranged husband (Jordan) trying to kill her. The title song was nominated for an Oscar, beat out by Que Sera, Sera.

Living in Carmel, California, Julie (Doris) and Lyle Benton (Louis Jordan), a flight attendant and a concert pianist respectively, are having problems in their marriage because of Lyle's extreme jealousy. A recent incident of his jealousy resulted in a violent outrage followed by what to her seemed like a heartfelt apology and pleading to her to help him get over this jealous feeling.

This marriage is Julie's second, her first ending when Julie's then husband, Bob, committed suicide. When Bob's cousin, Cliff Henderson, suspects that Bob didn't commit suicide, Julie thinks that Lyle may have murdered him instead. Upon questioning by Julie, Lyle does admit to killing Bob, all in the name of his love for her. With only Cliff to help her, Julie, knowing that Lyle will kill her as well if she ever tries to leave him, has to come up with a plan to get away from Lyle for good.

When Julie is called in unexpectedly to work as stewardess on a flight, she might have gotten her opportunity to get away. But even if she can get away, she will have to convince others that Lyle is a murderer, with no direct evidence as such except her word against his.

The plot is further complicated in several ways. On the flight, she discovers her husband on board. When he realizes she is running into the flight compartment to evade him, he follows her in where he kills the pilot, wounds the co-pilot and then is killed himself, leaving Julie the only person to pilot the plane back to safety.

It is also notable as potentially the first film to feature the subplot of a stewardess piloting a plane to safety, later used in Airport 1975 (1975) and parodied in Airplane! (1980). It is further notable for being technically accurate. Much of the film is narrated by Doris as Julie.

Re: JULIE

This is another intense drama, and Doris as always does a fantastic job acting, and also narrating it.
Thanks Janet in doing a great job introducing this film. Doris has stated, as everyone knows has a fear of flying, going back to her Bob Hope days, and some narrow misses with plane crashes. She said she had to learn things about the plane to get familiar with the part she had to play of landing the plane. She filmed this movie in a lot of physical pain as well, she had a tumor growing on her ovaries and Marty kept making her put off going to the doctor wanting her to consult her scientology leader at the time.
 But after the movie was finished she did go to a medical doctor and they had to do a hysterectomy, which she grieved over, because she wanted more children.
But if you haven't seen this movie,
As stated, Doris delivers a fine performance in the leading role. She has a great chemistry with Louis Jourdan who plays her husband Lyle believably. Interestingly Jourdan lived across the street from Day in Beverly Hills for some years.

Clip from the movie :Julie"

object width="560" height="315">

Re: JULIE

"Julie" is one of four of Doris' films I HAVE NOT SEEN, though it looks like a good film.  Sooooooo...I won't be able to participate in this discussion (but will be scanning the photos).  I'm gonna post the "Julie" photos I have and see you on the next film (until I'm able to come back and finally discuss this film).  Some of these photos may have been embellished by fans on here.  If so, take it as a compliment.

These first two images are the first publicity stills I ever saw for “Julie“:

Here are some more publicity/behind the scenes photos:

Here are three photos of Doris with Marty on location:

And here is my FAVORITE photo from Julie:

Re: JULIE

Holly, hope you get to see this movie.

Rare picture is RARE. Doris was terrified of flying, especially helicopters.

This was during her flight training for the film Julie, 1956.

Re: JULIE

Great Helicopter Photo Barbara.  I love Heck Yeah Doris Day too.

Unless you all haven't seen this movie either, please feel free to talk about it.

Re: JULIE

fluffy cloud

LOVE THIS MOVIE,great together.

Re: JULIE

Nick
Gotta see this movie! Lots of melodrama, sad and worried faces, Doris drinking, smoking, and running in high-heels, wearing flight-attendant outfits, and the most unusual golf attire you've ever seen! I think she plays golf in high-heels if I remember correctly? Was that a '50s thing? Louis Jourdan as a creep for a change - it's quite a shock! Was Marty thinking of the other Jordan in the crazy car scene? How could he do that! Doris is quite sober too. Then there is the opening scene where Doris runs a marathon in heels to the clubhouse while the opening credits run, and the title song plays. Watch closely, that is quite a Herculean feat in itself, and she makes it look easy - isn't even out of breath! Quite remarkable. I don't like flying either, planes or helicopters - but piloting the plane is another story... she makes it look real, but manages to maintain her composure. Forgit abowd it!

The Song - "Juuuuullliiieee" Haunting wouldn't you say? Why yes, it is sort of spooky.

Re: JULIE

fluffy cloud

what a dream-screen-couple

Re: JULIE

Nick
"Julie, keep the wings level... Ok, pull back on the controls, nose up, bring it up. Ok, that's too much, lower, lower... Ok, level the wings, left, left, Ok come back to the right... You're doing fine... WATCH YOUR SPEED! Bring the nose up, LEVEL THE WINGS, more, more..." Can't I just sing a song?

Let's Fly Away!

Re: JULIE

fluffy cloud
lovely Nick,thanks!

Re: JULIE

Thanks Fuffy...

Alternative ending?

"Ground control to Julie... Where are you?" "I'm sorry, I can't land the plane... I just can't do it... I have decided to fly this bird to the moon... I have a rendezvous with Rock Hudson! Over and out..."

Re: JULIE

PettlesTake2
I love this film.  When I first saw this film I thought "I like it - I think - yes, I like it - I think".  I wasn't sure why.  I'm not a thriller type.  Hitchcock, yes, but not all of his.  I want to be "entertained" in films.  There's too much crap out there now.

The way this film is shot has to be one of the main reasons I enjoy it so much.  I'm basically a California girl who loves the 1950's beach atmosphere, and yes, it's different now - not so nice (the marine layer, the ocean feel on your face, the seagulls talking to each other, sitting in a pier restaurant enjoying the food and drink and atmosphere with someone who you like to be with, and just walking wherever the beach takes you).

Black and white films are the best.  I adore the film techniques.  Shadows angled just right, shuttered windows, and multiple hues of gray for the atmosphere.  B&W Outside scenes are pure film-etiquette.  Down right art.

And then there's Doris, going through life without smiling all the time.  So sincere, genuine, and just like you're there viewing her as one of the crowd.  Very peaceful.

Definitely a Fall type film with your blanket nearby.

Re: JULIE

Barbara
Nick, first time I have seen the clip of Doris flying the plane while singing "Let's Fly Away" and then the other was funny by you saying she has decided to not land the plane but was going to fly to the moon and have a rendezvous with Rock Hudson. Only you would have thought of that and put the two songs together.

Re: JULIE

Barbara, I love her hairdo - So stylish with the uniform! I think the film would have been something in color too. I stole the "rendezvous with Rock Hudson" line was from "Please Don't Eat The Daisies." I think I am fixated on Doris "Amelia" Day flying the plane. Reminds me of the movie "Terror In The Sky" where the pilots are incapacitated and a passenger (who has Vietnam Helicopter experience) has to land the Jumbo Jet. Flying is the easy part, it's the take-offs and landings that get me heart going pitter-patter! This song would have worked too for the flying scene.

Re: JULIE

Barbara
Yes Nick I have always heard that is the most difficult and hard thing to learn about flying a plane is the take off and landing, especially the landing. I would be terrified if I had to land a plane. I think I would just fly on to the moon too.
Doris does such a beautiful job singing (Somewhere Over The Rainbow) Thanks for sharing that video.

Re: JULIE

fluffy cloud

sweet pictures

Re: JULIE

Barbara
Great pictures Dorine, you are posting some I haven't seen before.
Sinem said she would post some tomorrow. Love them all.

Re: JULIE

Hollywood
I was gonna start the next film discussion last night b/c I felt the conversation seemed to be winding down on this one...then I was like "Wait!  There are several ppl who haven't posted yet!"  Even if I can't read what they have to say yet (I hate plot spoiler until I've seen a film), I can still look at pix.  I want them to feel comfortable sharing their thoughts/pix on this film, if they have some...and they have the time.  Mike, I'm talkin' to u pal.

So speak up and share thoughts and pics.   Thx.

Re: JULIE

Would hold off Holly on the next movie until Simem does her post.

 "Julie" ♪ ♫