Dogs loyalty

Re: Dogs loyalty

okay, Christie. How about one for cats now...we have  to give them equal time!

Re: Dogs loyalty

Nick
Loyalty at 4-months old.  Rottweilers understand their role in life at an early age.

Re: Dogs loyalty

Re: Dogs loyalty

Re: Dogs loyalty

Cute!

Re: Dogs loyalty

dog walking dog
Talk about a loyal walking companion!!!! hehehe...

Why can't I get a gif uploaded correctly?

Re: Dogs loyalty

I've been having problems with Weebly all day!

Re: Dogs loyalty

Funny video Christie!  My next dog, maybe.  They are so smart.  I used to spend some time at a Rottweiler breeding farm.  Here's your cat video Mike . . .

I once wrestled not one, but 5 full-grown Rottweilers on the kitchen floor - on my hands and knees.  They were gently biting and licking me everywhere - it was funny, couldn't stop laughing.  You have to socialize them.  That was a unique experience!  And I lived through it.  But first, I fed them.

Re: Dogs loyalty

Wow Nick! 5 Rotties! I'm not brave enough for that. Maybe I can start with a small poodle!

Re: Dogs loyalty

It was a special moment Janet, or else I was stupid, but I wasn't afraid.  I love dogs, and they sensed it, and generally they like me.

A girl friend of mine lived with a lady on the Rott farm.  I'd visit her from time to time.  There were Rotts in the barn (in breeding cages,) some in a fenced area, and some in the house.  The homeowner's Rott (Katie) was huge and very protective of the house.  She would always growl at me when I moved around the house when I visited, but my friend had command over them all - she was very good with dogs.  One of the Rotts belonged to her and I knew her dog since he was a puppy.  But Katie had a very low demonic sounding growl that would vibrate the kitchen floor; and was unsettling to say the least!  But she kept her distance.

One day, I brought a couple of pounds old salami with me to feed them.  I shared it with the 4 of them and Katie wanted some too, but wouldn't take it from my hand and growled; more just expressing caution than angry.  My friend held my hand with the salami in it out to Katie, and she took it.  After that, I fed by hand myself, and pet her, and we became instant friends (actually, I had been visiting for months.)  The others were playful and friendly.  After a while we were on the floor wrestling and rolling around and Katie too.  It seemed OK at the time.  I don't know if I would try it again though.  But I'll never forget that experience!!!  Rottweilers properly trained are excellent dogs that have very "grown-up" personalities, even as puppies, and learn fast; and are extremely loyal.  But you have to have them get used to strangers at a young age to prevent them from becoming a problem around others.

Re: Dogs loyalty

Nick
Maybe 5 of these . . . or 25?

Re: Dogs loyalty

Yes, Nick I'll take on the puppies!

Re: Dogs loyalty

Wow Nick!!!!! That must have been an awesome experience!!!! I was a volunteer at an animal shelter in Greece and they let me walk a Rottie, Aleka. Strong strong breed but Aleka was such a lady and didn't pull so it was a fun walk ...(she weighed more than I did!!)

Re: Dogs loyalty

Nick
Cool, then you know Christie.  Rotties are fine animals.  I think my next dog may be a Rottweiler.

But if the hair on their back stands up, then you are in trouble!  That means they are going to attack!  That happened once with my friend when we where out with her 8-month old Rottie waiting in line at a Dairy Queen.  He wasn't used to strangers, but we were trying to get him socialized.  Suddenly the hair stood up, and we had to quickly take him away for a time-out!

One time I had the scare of my life at the Rott Breeding farm, out in the country.  My friend took me out to the breeding pens in the barn.  It was night-time.  We walked in the barn, flicked on the light.  There were all these huge Rotts in separate pens that ran down the entire length of the barn.  All of them started barking ferociously at us.  I stopped and decided to hang back by the barn door.  But my friend, who was truly gifted with animals, was as calm as a cucumber and stood statuesquely (to show that she was in command) and walked along each pen talking to them one at a time.  They just barked and ran around madly in their pens.  When she got to the last two pens, without warning, she opened the two pen doors, and two mature Rotts bolted out of their cages and came tearing at me at full speed standing by the door.     There wasn't time to react, and my heart stopped!  But they ran right past me through the door!  I took a deep breath, in and out, as my friend said calmly to me.  Let's take them for a walk.  Apparently, that was all that was on their minds.  Sure, I said.  I'll never forget that either!

Re: Dogs loyalty

Nick
I learned dog obedience training when I was about 12; even won a ribbon for "Best Junior Handler."  Now training is everything!  But first you have to train the trainer.  Notice how a well-trained Rottweiler is used to train other dogs.  Now that is a nice Rott, see how well-balanced and behaved they can be.  But you have to put in the work!

Re: Dogs loyalty

Thanks, Nick.  Even tho I love dogs (we have had 4), I like the independent attitudes of cats.

Re: Dogs loyalty

You have great stories to tell Nick!!! I don't think I would ever own a rottweiler, they're great but to strong for me to handle. And I don't think I would ever be as calm as your friend!!!!

Mike, as the years go by I am becoming more fond of a cat's independence! So I might end up with a couple even though I identify myself as a dog person!!!

Re: Dogs loyalty

I have many stories about cats and dogs.  Cause I love em.  I am sure you do too.

Here's a kitty story.

Years ago I was dating this girl who had a German Shepard she rescued from the pound, and a very shy, black cat named "Shadow."  Every time I came over, Shadow would run and hide under the bed so I could never get to meet him (he was neutered.)  I decided never to try and force it.  And after a few months, Shadow would come out, and watch me from a distance.  I ignored him.  Finally, he came and sat in my lap and let me pet him.  Then I started to play with him with his favorite toy - the bird on a string, on a stick!

After that, Shadow would greet me every time I stopped by, sit in my lap, purr, play bird on a stick, sleep on my chest, etc.  The German Shepard, was the most laid back Shepard I had ever met.  He had been abused by the previous owner, and was spooked when she first got him from the pound.  If you looked at him wrong, he would get diarrhea for a week.

So Girlfriend feeds Shadow the cat, and the Shepard, and we sit down to dinner with trays in front of the TV to watch her favorite show "Star Trek."  A few minutes later, the Shepard is laying across my feet, and Shadow is on the side of the room on his cat perch about 3 feet off the ground.  Right in the middle of dinner, Shadow barfs-up his entire dinner, which spewed like a waterfall, from the perch, to the carpet three feet below.  Gross!!!  You couldn't miss it!  If that wasn't bad enough, the Shepard immediately came to attention, walked over, and started lapping-up the mess before we could even get up!    It was ghastly, and sort of ruined our appetite.  We looked at each other with jaws dropped, appalled, and then started laughing.  But he cleaned it up pretty good!

When we later broke it off, I missed Shadow more than Girlfriend, and I heard Shadow missed me too.  Shadow was my favorite kitty of all time.

Re: Dogs loyalty

One of my boot camp members has a shepherd who is about 100 lbs, real big boy. He is fiercely protective of my friend Maggie, but is very friendly when she is around even though he doesn't care much for men. However, this big boy is deathly afraid of cats! He'll cry like a baby if a cat is around.
12