DO NOT DISTURB - 1965

Songs and Memories Review:

This is the first of two films (supposedly set in London) which costar Doris with Rod Taylor (the follow-up, "Glass Bottom Boat", is a much better film to showcase this new romantic team).

Janet and Mike Harper (Doris and Rod Taylor)  rent a house in the English countryside from Vanessa Courtwright after Mike, an American wool company executive, moves his office to London to stimulate foreign trade. Mike spends his time in downtown London keeping company with his assistant, Claire Hackett, and attending  parties  thrown by his boss, Mr. Langsdorf, parties to which wives were not invited.  Meanwhile, neglected Janet is at home, with a bevy of animals and interior decorators.

Paul Bellari (Sergio Fantoni), a handsome antique dealer encourages her to fly to Paris with her  to inspect an antique table she wants to purchase as a surprise for her husband.

While there, they visit a bistro where Janet becomes a one woman show and then passes out from drinking too much wine.  Paul takes her back to his office, and they accidentally get locked in for the night. Mike hears of the trip and takes the next flight to Paris. When he finds them in the office, he fights with Paul and demands a divorce from Janet. Janet agrees, but several days later she overhears Claire Hackett discussing how much Mike loves his wife. So, she plans to surprise him at one of his boss' parties, and she shows up in a gold, form-fitting lame' dress. (She's gorgeous, and every male is after her, especially the boss!)

After some misunderstandings and plot complications, Mike and Janet reunite and all ends happily.  On his behalf, Taylor does not have enough screen time in this film to really show how much screen chemistry there is between the two stars.  He makes up for that in the next film to come.

Re: DO NOT DISTURB - 1965

Hollywood
Pix from DO NOT DISTURB:

BARBARA, Will you post the one you made of the three shots of the Sparkly Dress together, please?  I have it if you can't find it.

EVERYONE: Does ANYONE know what Doris' shoe size is?  These pix make me REALLY curious.

1965 Howell Conant(?) photo of the Orange Sparkle Dress

Is this next one from "Do Not Disturb"?:

Re: DO NOT DISTURB - 1965

Re: DO NOT DISTURB - 1965

Perhaps I am one of the weird ones, but I personally loved this movie. I think Doris was at her funniest, especially when she did the One Woman Band Routine (She plays a great drunk!!!)
I also disagree that she has no chemistry with Rod Taylor.  I liked them together in both of their films together (this and Glass Bottom Boat)
The Gold Dress was worth the entire movie!!!

Re: DO NOT DISTURB - 1965

My personal opinion of "Do Not Disturb":

For the longest time after seeing this film, all I could remember about it was the reveal of the stunning, sparkly, ORANGE dress.  After re-watching it, I see that it has its moments, like the fox and goat, the trip to Paris drunk scenes (which are probably the best parts of the film) and the chase at the end.  But still, there is not much to this film…at all.  Though I love the reveal of the dress, the grape in her dress at the “dance”, if you will, goes on for too long.

In my opinion, It’s not the worst Doris film, but it’s on my 5 worst Doris film list.  Doris seems to have more chemistry with the Frenchman than with Rod Taylor.  It’s to the point where Rod and Doris doing another film together seemed pointless.  However, I’m glad they did another film and proved me wrong about their chemistry in “The Glass Bottom Boat”.

Re: DO NOT DISTURB - 1965

ESP MIKE!

I was just finishing posting my opinion when I saw yours.  It's okay if you loved this film.  It's just not my first pick.

Re: DO NOT DISTURB - 1965

Nick
Makes me smile... sooooo '60s.  Those were the days...  Another Doris title tune.