Country, Celtic, and Folk Music

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I reckon, that's some down home music from the Blue Ridge Mountains? My niece plays that "Whiskey Before Breakfast" song on her fiddle. I put the new Tusq saddle on my classical guitar bridge, and lowered the strings a tad - it's pretty cool now. Big improvement. I am just playing it for a while with the 6th string tuned to D, and composing my own never-ending songs inspired by Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen (above posts) and Kaori Muraji. Just trying to find different sounds in the guitar. I should write some lyrics at some point if I can settle on a structure. I have a lame version of "Fool On A Hill" that I am working on, but it's more Bossa (hey, wait a minute, I live on a big hill... ) I like the song. What's with the "Candyland" set and the psychedelic lights? Very "Barbie-ish," hmmm... She's a professional.

Fool On A Hill - Kaori Muraji

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Thanks Kaori, I am working on it. Looks easy... but is that the middle-finger twice, or the ring-finger, middle-finger, and then the index finger? Please stop smiling for a second - this is sort of tricky.

トレモロギターレッスン

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I really admire you guys that can do guitar.  I tried it once and decided it was not my thing. I will stick to writing and spinning discs (playing music on an instrument has never been my forte). I wanted to learn how to play piano. Even inherited an chord organ from my Dad. It didn't matter...I just could not do it.  Like Doris Day, I could not read notes; if I had, that might have helped.  Some have that kind of talent; others , like me, do not.
However, I am very good at playing music (on a proper source: cd/ dvd/ record player/etc.)

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
Like painting and drawing, I think it is more about desire than talent.  With desire, you will find a way to develop the skills; even if it is at a snail's pace.  I don't bother trying to read music, but I can read it... barely.  I taught myself.  A few pointers along the way is helpful.  Never tried formal lessons.

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I have no problems reading music. That's easy maybe because of my math background. It's getting the fingers to work that is my problem. My brain says one thing but the fingers say another!

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

We had a piano in the house when I grew up. My sisters took lessons. I just forced myself to read the music and learned the notes on the piano and played by ear. My desire to play a favorite song drove me to keep plunking away.

My love for the sound of acoustic guitar, I think it was Joni Mitchell and her weird tunings, and John Denver's music, among others, that made me want to pick up the guitar. It's been a long slow process. I would like to try the piano again someday. Hard to find the time with everything and all my other interests.

I knew a lot of people who played in bands. Most of them couldn't read music. If you can read music, and have a good feel for the music, and know your instrument, then that is probably best. It all takes time and patience. I think it is good therapy too for stepping back outside of this crazy world for awhile. I think just sitting and listening to music that really intrigues you is important for inspiration and learning to understand music.

I am in love with Kaori's guitar playing in case you haven't noticed... She's so cool!

A Duet for a change

Wow! a new YouTube

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
I dedicate this song to Ken, the ornery auto mechanic and Vietnam Vet from Florida, who forced me to listen to country music back in the '70s... because he was the Radio Nazi. He would sing out loud to the songs on the radio when he was in a good mood. He was a tough guy, nice one minute, and mean and nasty the next. One day he was short on his mortgage payment. I lent him the little savings I had... he got all choked up... and promptly paid me back as he could. He treated me like a brother after that. Then there was Frank, who rode a Harley and looked like Wolfman Jack, but that's another story...

The Highwaymen - Waylon Jennings, Willy Nelson, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

you do know that your HIGHWAYMEN stole their names from another group, and one I truly loved from the 50's and 60's???

http://www.originalhighwaymen.com/p2cdhome2.htm

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I'm the same thing...I have no problem reading the music my fingers just don't follow!
I love Alison!

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Mike, I like em both. But did they do a song called "Highwayman." I tawt I taw Steve Lawrence...

Christie, I like Alison (with one "L") too. I think I'll wear black for the rest of the week.

Highwayman

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Yes, Nick..they did.  They also did another called "You're Always Welcome At Our House (as long as you can STAY)"...VERY FUNNY.  I can't find either of them.

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
Mike, those Highwaymen are tough old boys... like those auto mechanics, they steal your name, and they don't apologize none neither.

Neil Young was sort of a downer and a little angry, but I think he wrote some good songs that were right for the times, like Dylan. I think underneath it all, he was Country. This one is fun for the guitar. Cool video too.

Into The Black

This one is definitely Country, and sort of sweet, especially for Neil. I love it!

Harvest Moon

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

9/11/13 Patriot Day - Where are all the peace songs, and songs about real injustice, and asking questions of authority? Everybody having a good time hip-hopping? Playing with I-Phones? Computer games? Too much idiot-box? Sports? Nobody thinking? Nobody talking? Young people where are you? Drinking the Kool-Aid? Where are the musicians and the artists - the social barometers of the times? Where are the Bob Dylans of today?

Written By Bob Dylan, Performed by Jason Mraz

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
Better than Neil Young's version? One of the first songs I learned on guitar, but I forgot how to play it exactly (D, F, C, G... maybe throw in a Em or Am?)

Not bad at all... Kyriesong Kyrie from Boston

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
"Roll out the barrel... Let's have a barrel of BIG fun!" Are you going to play that guitar Boss? And what's going on with that sax player?

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I love this song and used to teach it in my English/Poetry Units in high school FOR THE IMAGERY.
As for the recording, I like it best by Joan Baez (admittedly, Dylan was a helluva writer but he could not sing).

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Folks, only a qualified music professional should attempt playing this kind of music. Please don't try this at home without proper supervision. Thank you... and "Hook'em Horns!"

Lonestar State of Mind - Nanci Griffith

Love At A Five and Dime

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
Thanks for the history lesson Gordy... I needed that.
12345