Country, Celtic, and Folk Music

I need a break from the usual stuff.  That's where this topic comes in - to explore this genre rich in tradition.  The roots are Celtic which explains how those British bands could play Country so well.  Something "soulful and earthy" about Country music that I love for a change.  It's the Irish in it!  Give me some banjo and a fiddle for a change . . . a little accordion and a pretty voice too.

This one was written by Richard Thompson from the UK.  A "Vincent Black Lighting" is a British motorcycle; or "motor bike" as they would say.

But first let's take a putt on the "Classic Vincent Black Lighting".  I don't ride motorcycles anymore or I would probably kill myself - but it stays in your blood.  Bikers have a special camaraderie that is universal too.

"The Bike"

"The Song"

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I only need to go to "The County Fair" to realize I ain't "real country" . . . to the bone that is!!!

It's fascinating, and I love the country life.  Always wanted to grow up on a farm, but that didn't happen!  I once rented a small house on a farm for a few years, with cattle, alfalfa fields, barns, tractors, dogs, cats, tornados, small towns, church folk, etc. and it was great!  Just lived there, but wasn't responsible for all the work   - I was going to school and working.

It was an auto mechanic that forced me to listen to country music every day for about two years, when I was into Rock mostly.  It was either Country, or the boss's elevator Muzac at that job.  But it opened my appreciation for some good country music!!!  A small town country band, on a Saturday night, in a small town joint in the heartland can be real sweet!!!  I could go all the way Country . . . I think?    Where's my guitar?

George Strait on his day off.  No matter how many times I hear this song, I still love it!  What a beautiful guitar he has!!!

Heartland

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
On second thought, "You can take the boy out of the City, but you can't take the City out of the boy."  Like like'm both.

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I love these people so much I could hear this on full blast all day long!!!!!

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I grew up adoring the Corrs - I always had all their CDs :)

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

The Corrs' song has a very interesting variety of sounds. Dig it!

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I'm learning a little Renbourn. I really like him!

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
Awesome Janet! I listened to the continuous play video while I worked on my computer. Reminds me of some early Led Zeppelin acoustic or early Joni Mitchell guitar. I really like the open-tunings. Thanks for posting. I have been playing my steel-string acoustic lately since I broke a string on my classical guitar. I put a Graph Tech "Tusq" saddle on my Alvarez steel-string and it sounds incredible! But I need to file it down more. I ordered one for my Classical guitar and I am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Then "jimmy" it in and put on some new strings. Highly recommend the Tusq saddles!!! The difference is between night and day! Next I might try the Tusq nut. But I don't think I really need to improve it more - sounds great as it is! Website: http://graphtech.com/products/product-categories/acoustic-saddles

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Thanks, Nick! I'm not that brave nor skilled enough to attempt anything other than changing my strings. I have a great local luthier that I send mine to for tuneups, fixes, etc. He's so good I very rarely need him.

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
Ask him about "Tusq" saddles, nuts, and pins. Made a huge difference - bright beautiful sounds that weren't there before! Postcard arrived today from me fiddling niece in the UK. They be heading to London (me first home in this world) for one more fiddling spell. Then back across the Atlantic homeward . . . Aye!

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
'Kermit, What is Twang? I heard it is "Hillbilly Soul," "White Blues," or "Train Music?"

"I don't know for sure partner, but you know it when you hear it! It's attitude, swagger, and they don't care if you like it or not!

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
Kermit, what is "Mariachi" music, and did it influence American Country music?

Whaaha, it did. Feast your eyes and ears on this. Viva Mariachi!!!

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

"Twang" (Country Music) was influenced by many genres as it evolved and became commercial: Big Band, Jazz, Swing, Mariachi, Pop, Blues, Rock, and a little bit of everything. Hollywood would add sparkle to the outfits, and the music began to reflect the social change in America as "Honky-Tonk" music sang about "Cold, Cold, and Cheatin Hearts," divorce, and women's independence. Booze, drugs, and adultery took its toll on the lives of the entertainers, and so it became part of the music. The songs of the mountains back home, and free-spirited cowboys, started to change into songs about American suburban life. Sooooo that's where the "Blues Brothers" got the idea of screen-mesh around the stage to block the flying beer bottles Kermit! . . . Yup.

This is real interesting Kermit . . . Yup.

So Elvis thought he was a Country singer? . . . . . . Yup, and that led to the "Nashville Sound."

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

"Let's see Kermit, it says here that Lefty Frizzell was born in Corsicana, Texas . . . make a note of that Kermit. When writing and singing country songs, it's okay to tell a whopper, but you gotta make it sound like you mean it."

Hey, "Lefty" plays guitar right-handed! Get outta here, you lying pole cat. Grew up in Arkansas too. Probably never been to Saginaw!

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I remember Lefty when he had a top 20 hit...I was still in high school Let me see if I can find it.....

And here was another biggie by lefty:

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick

Stevie Wonder was from Saginaw. I wonder if he knew Lefty?

"Rockabilly" . . . Elvis's first record . . . for his mama's birthday. A little bit more than Country.

The flip side. Yee-Haaah!

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
"Kermit, is this Country? No, definitely not... Don't be fooled by fancy titles! "

Along The Santa Fe Trail

"Kermit, is this Country? Absolutely . . . can't you see his sparkly duds and his horse! Get with it man!

Along The Santa Fe Trail

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Nick
"The Nashville sound" - more pop, less country. . . Country's answer to Elvis and Rock'n Roll. I love Patsy Cline's voice.

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

Re: Celtic, Folk, Country and Bluegrass

I Feel the same about: Brenda Lee, Dolly Parton, Reba, Vince Gill: They all have great country pipes.
12345