By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Hollywood
"We'll be cuddling soon..."

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Nick
More classic nostalgia with "Turn of the Century" family issues, great songs, Wesley is hilarious again, Doris is the MOST beautiful bride, but we never see them marry!!! . . . Merv Griffin - Ha! I know a skating pond just like that one . . .

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Hollywood
I saw this film first, not knowing that it was the sequel to "On Moonlight Bay".  I like, if not love "On Moonlight Bay", but I still enjoy this film MORE.  It may be the order that I watched them in.  It's very hard to pull off a successful sequel, and especially hard to pull off something that's better than the original, in my opinion.

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Nick
"On Moonlight Bay" was a little more enduring to me; maybe it seemed more "honest" or genuine.  "Silvery Moon" seemed a little rushed or contrived in the plot and not as personally relatable.  But it had great images in Technicolor.  Both included traditional big holidays, Christmas in the first, and Thanksgiving in the following.  Sequels rarely seem to be as good as they try to capitalize on the success of the first.  I saw them in chronological order.  I loved the skating scene and some of the songs, but overall not as good as "Moonlight Bay" in my opinion.  It's still a classic feel good, warm and fuzzy feeling movie!

She makes the skating look easy.  Where did she learn to skate like that?  Gordy too!!!

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Hollywood
Their skating is amazing.  It looks effortless.  Do you think they knew how to already or they had someone show them?  I do love the Holiday stuff.

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Nick
Maybe Carol knows?  Very possible she ice-skated back in Cincinnati.  It's a Midwestern thing.  Is ice skating even common in California?  Probably had some pointers too prior to shooting that scene????

Now here is one of the wonderful scenes in the movie.  I mean really, WOW!  How sweet these two are together here with classic old-time standard.  The other remarkable couples' close-ups from films that come to mind are: Doris and Rock Hudson, Julie Christie and Omar Sharif (Dr. Zhivago) and this scene below!!!  And not only that, but I think Doris's best duets were with Gordon MaCrae - their voices just blend so well.

If You Were The Only Girl In The World

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Doris was very athletic just look at her dancing, her golf and baseball swings. I'm sure she must have grown up skating on ponds. Isn't that what we all do growing up in the midwest and northeast?

You should write to her and ask.

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

I loved this movie...so nostalgic and Doris said this movie and On Moonlight Bay were two of her favorites that they were just a like a real family.

Great music and Doris was so beautiful in this movie.  Don't make them like they used to.
Billy Gray was such a funny boy in this movie and "O M B"
Doris and Gordon were perfect for this movie.

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Regarding sequels: You are soooooooooo right! But Doris did it several times. Not only with these two movies but LOVER COME BACK is kind of a sequel to PILLOW TALK?

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Some people forget...When Doris was a child, she was a self-proclaimed tomboy (that is what made her next and favorite film , CALAMITY JANE, such a success!)
I rather suspect she could do anything (within sensible reason) on the athletic side.

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

In MOONLIGHT BAY, the tear jerker was called TELL ME.  This time, it is called I'LL FORGET YOU. (Doris said she cried in more movies than any other actress in Hollywood!)

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

fluffy cloud

how I love this movie!!!!

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

That makes two of us.  Nobody sang better with Doris.  I think she would have continued costarring with him, but I understand he developed quite a problem with alcohol.  Not sure how true that is...but I often wondered why it was Shirley Jones and NOT Doris in both OKLAHOMA and CAROUSEL.  She would have been great in both (not that Jones Was not). Think about all of the Musical movies Doris was offered or considered for......She would have done them quite differenty:

   GUYS AND DOLLS
   MY FAIR LADY
   SOUTH PACIFIC
   UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN
   OKLAHOMA
   CAROUSEL
   FOLLIES
   SOUND OF MUSIC
   ANNIE GET YOUR GUN
   7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS
   THE KING AND I

There is one movie in my opinion whereas Audrey Hepburn can call it her own,"My fair Lady".It is a picture I cannot get enough of.
By the light was the second movie I saw with Doris as a youngster.The first was,the thrill of it all,but I have to say I was so taken with this family cuteness and cosiness and Wesley.It is movie that gives you such comfort of how life was,or could have been and you can dream away all the time.

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

fluffy cloud

priceless...

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

I love this movie, and also On Moonlight Bay. It just takes you back in time when families were close and neighbors also. And I know Doris enjoyed making these two movies she said we were really like family. Here is a comment that she had to say about these two movies.

 "On Moonlight Bay was one of Doris Day's favorites. She enjoyed working with Gordon MacRae and the rest of the crew. In an interview with Christopher Frayling for the 1989 BBC Special "I Don't Even Like Apple Pie", Doris said: "We had so much fun….Marjorie! Marjorie! My father calling me all the time. And my brother, Wesley, with the cough. Oh, what a time we had! You see, I feel about that family like I do about all the crew members that I've had through the years. You just get very close to these people. And you become a family."
Doris recalled in her autobiography: "In those Warner Brothers years, the pictures I enjoyed the most…were the nostalgic musicals – Tea for Two, Lullaby of Broadway, On Moonlight Bay, I'll See You in My Dreams, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, and Calamity Jane. I liked the old songs, and the good old times that those films captured."
In later life, Doris named one of her dogs (a shitsu) Wesley Winfield after her "kid brother" played by Billy Gray in On Moonlight Bay and By the Light of the Silvery Moon."

Also I think Holly mention if Doris already knew how to ice skate or had a coach. Yes she could ice skate. but they did bring in a coach for her to go over certain turns they would be doing. I found this picture of Doris and her coach that was taken on the set of this movie.

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

Nick
Northeast too, yes I forgot about you ice skating East Coasters.  Forgive me.  I love the ice-skating coaching picture.  Never seen that before.  Cool pictures Barbara and Fluffy.

Did we miss any songs.  Here's one, I can think of another . . .

Can't believe the King Chanticleer routine is not on YouTube.

Re: By the Light of the Silvery Moon

I agree, Nick....that would be a great job for Christie to tackle. She used to do youtubes for us a while back...maybe we can talk her into it. KING CHANTICLEER deserves a good youtube.
12