Bossa Nova - Back By Popular Demand!

Re: Bossa Nova

Ahh...haaa!  Menina Moca with a "K."

Greetings comrades!  Having a good time with the Bossa Band!  I may require more time here.  So much to do.  From Russia with love, Kermit

Re: Bossa Nova

Goodbye Moscow and all my Comrades!  The bossa band is leaving for a gig in Toronto, a wedding or something?  Life is too cool!

The girl is going to sing, and the dude really gets into that flute solo!  Probably started out in the marching band.  Not bad!!!

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Next stop Montreal . . . for a little refreshment!

"Bartender, please, do you know how to make the Bossa Nova?"

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
After that delicious refreshment -  time to meditacao.  I like this arrangement.  Hard to find singers besides Frank and Doris that can sing this song with the right feel and the ability to stay in tune.  Any other good versions of this song besides Frank and Doris?

Meditacao (Meditation) - by Carmen Cuesta

Re: Bossa Nova

What an array of instruments!

Re: Bossa Nova

Yes, I think that is a really good recording.  I more I hear it, the more I like it!

I think Perry Como had the voice for this song too, as he demonstrated in his duet with Doris on her TV special.  True Bossa is more of a whisper, than a shout - like singing to someone inches away.  It really is hard to find good vocals for this song.  I am still working on getting the guitar part right.  Love the guitar plunking in the background (more pronounced in the version above.)  This duet is not bad, actually very nice.  Keep your ears open for a better version besides Sinatra's and Doris's.  They are hard to find.

Meditation - Tom and Joy who?

Re: Bossa Nova

Forget the vocals, this kid nails it!!!

Yes, don't be fooled by his young age and causal clothes, this kid and his bass and drum player (not shown and just as young) play at some of the popular Jazz Festivals out West according to the YouTubes.  This is surely a testament to the greatness of this song that it still appeals to the youth of today.  It is great to see young talent who appreciate this classic song and perform it so well, and improvise with feeling, and keeps it simple.  I'd throw in a little classical guitar too.  PERFECT!!!

Meditation -  The Chase Morrin Trio  (even better in full-screen)

Re: Bossa Nova

"Agua De Beber"  A very nice version by Hikari Aoki.

Same song in English.  Has anybody heard of Russian born Sophie Milman?  She sounds good!  Nice voice!

Re: Bossa Nova

They captured it in a 1964 film.

Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz (on Sax) - "Da Gal From Ipanema"

Re: Bossa Nova

A Summer Song for the Summer Solstice.  Wishing everybody a nice Summer!

The schmaltzy instrumental version of  "Summer Samba."  Dig it!  So nice!  Reminds me of sipping sodas at Bergdorf Goodman's.  Dig that organ!!!

"Summer Samba."  Walter Wanderley

 "Summer Samba."  Upbeat version in Portuguese by Lisa Ono.  Very so nice!

"Summer Samba."  In English - slow, easy, and Mucho crystal clear by Stacey Kent.  Mucho, mucho so nice!

Re: Bossa Nova

The Summer Samba continued . . .

Kermit says: "The Summer Samba" is sort of a girly song?

Being the kind-hearted and patient person that I am, I said: "AU CONTRAIR, mon ami! (my little green rubbery friend.)"    It was composed and first sung by a man . . . Mr. Kermit!"

Yes, "The Summer Samba" (also referred to as "So Nice") or the "Samba de Verao" was composed and first performed by Marcos Valle from Brazil; and his brother wrote the lyrics.

A Young Marcos Valle

Yes, the ladies' versions are awesome, and they are very sexy with this tune, which might account for Kermit's hasty conclusion without looking at the preponderance of evidence.  So let's see how the Guys dish it out.

Andy Williams stole it from Marcos.  Very nice Andy!

From Ann Arbor, MI, "The Arbors!"  Not bad at all!  Go Blue!!!!

A more recent version by Marcos Valle (the composer of the song.)  Mucho, mucho so nice!  He Rocks!  Fantastico!!!

Re: Bossa Nova

Kermit and I do agree on one thing, we both like the "girly" versions of Summer Samba better.

I suppose Astrud Gilberto's version played a huge role in the song becoming popular.  She was the wife of Joao Gilberto who invented Bossa Nova.  Yes, that is the same cool organist Walter Wanderley and his trio (posted above) in the background.  Reminds me of shopping at Bloomingdales . . . or was that K-Mart ("Kame-Apart" as referred to by some?)

More Summer Samba

Vikki Carr anyone?  She also sang with The Les Brown Band once upon a time.

Elaine Elias - A Brazilian singer and very good pianist.  One of Kermit's favorite versions.  Very nice!

Re: Bossa Nova

WE INTERRUPT this lavish and spectacular Bossa Nova entertainment featuring the "Summer Samba" to bring you this Important Announcement!

"Today (ay, ay ay...) I was very happy (ee, ee, ee...) when Nancy Sinatra played (ay, ay, ayed...) this song (ong, ong, ong...) by Doris Day (ay, ay, ay... that's the echo.")  It's the best version of the song I have ever heard."  Yaaaaaaaay!!! (ay, ay, ay...)

Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars (Corcovado) Corcovado is the iconic mountain in Rio.

Wait a minute, this just came in!  Gee, I wish I could sing like Frank . . . Can you believe I don't even have this album!  Next stop, Amazon.com for a little shopping.  Kermit, have you seen my credit card . . . it was right here a minute ago?

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
We resume to more spectacular "Summer Samba" entertainment.  There's a point to all this.   I want to learn this song on guitar.

Kermit's and my new discovery "Diana Kappelhoff!"  We changed her last name for the marquee.

I think I got it now. . . I stole the chords from this - believe it or not, I can see the chords.   Thank You Mister!  Nice guitar playing!  Now here's a team . . . isn't that sweet?

Re: Bossa Nova

Kermit says the guy above (on guitar) looks like Charlie the cook from "Wagon Train."  I need a break now, so remember the great Bozo the clown who said:  "Always keep laughing."

Think about the things you have, and not about the things you don't have.  Life can be So Nice . . . even when it doesn't always seem that way.

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Kermit, we were right about Bloomingdales, Bergdorf Goodman's, K-Mart...!!

Take a ride on a 1960s Elevator
"Second floor. . . Hardware, Music, Pet Supplies . . . Oh, Good Morning Mr. Kermit! . . . Going dowwwwwn?"

Oh Kermit, you are such a CORNBALL!  It's a good thing you don't make videos... Hmmmmm?????

Gotta see this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwfQf4DrB8I

Re: Bossa Nova

Kermit doesn't make videos??? He does when he has the greens!!!!!

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Christie, Kermit doesn't make videos . . . he's the star!!!  And rightly so, I must admit; he can really put a song across like your video indicates so well.  He is a very astute musician and has great taste in music, and I am lucky to call him my "close personal pal" (CPP.)  But he is a mischievous little fella, and one has to keep an eye on him.  We want to start a Bossa Nova Band!

Is anyone else having problems EMBEDDING videos?  I think Kermit and I have MAXED-OUT on our quota!  I just get this result.  Looks like the show is over Kermit.

Re: Bossa Nova

try again, Nick...I don't think there is any limit.

Re: Bossa Nova

No worky since yesterday.  Somebody's working some bad Mojo!  One of my guitar strings broke all by itself too.  But I can still make faces...

12345678