Bossa Nova - Back By Popular Demand!

123456 ... 8

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
That's pretty good Janet.  I like the Suzie Q sounding lick.  Classical is good training for everything.  I especially like the Spanish sounding classical music.  But Bossa Nova is what I am sticking to until it becomes second nature, which takes time, but I keep plugging away. It's a little different, and creates chord harmonies that I like.  Now the singing part is tough, you can learn the song on guitar, but then you have to learn it in your key, and then the bossa chord harmonies can throw the singing off key.  I am lucky to learn the song - period!  A more serious attempt at singing may come later.

I was thinking of starting a Singing lessons and Musician topic; we could post guitar stuff there.  I found some singing lessons on YouTube that look pretty good.  So many things I want to do, and not enough time for everything.  Too many interests.

If you can play that Bach piece, you should be able to play this song.  I am not there yet, though I have a simpler version of this song.  If you sing, then you don't want to play too much melody, which is the singer's part.  I like the simple Bossa Nova plucking - Plunk, plunk, plunk, plunkity, plunk. . .

Re: Bossa Nova

I'll give it a try. But you don't want me to sing!

Re: Bossa Nova

Believe me, I know how you feel!  It's all just a hobby to me, but I love it, and I want to keep it that way.

Now this guy seems to sing in my KEY, whatever that is?  In this case they are just bass and rhythm chords so as not to compete with the singing, but compliments it nicely . . . just like the song says: "Quiet nights of quiet stars, QUIET chords from my guitar!"

This guy has the simple bossa nova thing down!  Same song, different key, different style.

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Wait a minute, I was wrong.  Both the above versions of Corcovado are in the same key, just played differently.  This one is in a different key that I should learn, and I can sing in this key, in a lower register.  In fact, even better. . . Stacey and I should do a duet.  Just back the saxophone player up about 40 feet . . . or 140 feet.

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Guitar lesson of the week.  This is better than my version of "Wave."  Same key, so I should be able to spice up my version after studying this.  You can see the his chords clearly.  Love the song.  Oh well, something to keep my fingers busy as the world turns.

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Music to watch the Spring SNOW showers by.  The snow flakes are dancing to the samba.  It's headed your way East Coasters!  The dude can play guitar, and the Sax ain't bad either.

Re: Bossa Nova

My lesson tonight is a folk song played by Mississippi John Hurt called "My Creole Belle." It is from Mississippi John Hurt's album called Avalon Blues 1963. It should be fun!

Re: Bossa Nova

Way to go!  Speaking of the blues.  This is a Bossa Nova blues song I am trying to learn.  Very sad, but very beautiful!

Estate  (It's Italian for "Summer")

The lyrics.  I call this sleeping pills and booze music!  Shirley Horn is pretty good!  It's one of those songs you are just not quite sure of . . .

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
"Summer Has Gone"  is the same theme of lost love as "Estate" (above) - only without the sense of longing and neediness of being enslaved to love as a drug.  It's lyrics reveal a higher understanding of the reality of summer love's failing and fleeting nature when it is not really the right "love" at all - just a lesson being learned in life's journey.  Now Doris's voice reflects that understanding - at least to me.  Another reason I like her singing . . . it's thoughtful and promotes a healthy attitude, rather than leaving you with a sense of despair.  But the sad songs of emptiness teach lessons too . . . and misery loves company.  I guess if you want to sing the blues, you have to pay the dues.

Summer Has Gone

Re: Bossa Nova

I wish Doris recorded more songs in the 80's like James Taylor's Secret O' Life. I've heard Rosemary Clooney do it. I think Doris would have made it a number one hit.

Re: Bossa Nova

Love this guy!

Re: Bossa Nova

You can paddle up steam, or you go with the current.  I've tried both, but downstream is a lot more enjoyable.  James Taylor writes great songs and can play a mean guitar!  I can imagine Doris singing his songs.

Those old blues songs were the backbone of Rock 'n roll!

I learned how to play this song last night - "The Shadow of Your Smile."  Just sat down and found it in the guitar.  Sweet!!!  I love the song.  Only it's in the wrong key for me, but it still sounds pretty good!  Another Bossa Nova blues song, except it's the guy's version this time.  Sing it pretty Tony, make us proud!

Look at the picture in the video of Richard Burton and Liz Taylor.  Whoa! does that say it all!

You have to give it a little volume to appreciate Tony's singing.

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
The melody, with full orchestra treatment - absolutely beautiful!  The melody grows on you.  Doris could have done this one too, many did . . . making it a huge standard.

The Shadow of Your Smile - The Boston Pops.

Re: Bossa Nova

Even Glenn Frey of "The Eagles" took a stab at it.  Not bad for a rocker from Detroit!  I think it shows a sign of maturity.  The song was written by Johnny Mandel.

The Shadow of Your Smile - Glenn Frey

Re: Bossa Nova

I usually go "ape" over a song first before trying to learn it; listen to a million versions by different artists until I really feel the song in my bones.  I don't post them all, but here's another.  Ok, enough already!

George Benson

Re: Bossa Nova

I am glad I am not the only one who likes to hear different versions of the same song and pick the ones I like best.  I still laugh about the time I made a Cd (all 68 minutes) of just one song...the various versions available of IF I GIVE MY HEART TO YOU....What can I say?

Re: Bossa Nova

Welllllll, in that case Mike . . . I am not alone.  Sixty-eight minutes of one song, sounds like you like music.    One discovers new artists too!  Some are pretty good like these two versions of The Shadow of Your Smile.  We haven't heard a girl sing it yet.

Dalena Morton. . . I never heard of her before?  She has a nice bossa feel to it.  Don't let the plastic sounding intro stop you, she sings nice.  She sounds a little like Marie Osmond.

Or slower with Lisa Ono and Take 6 - very nice bossa mix too!  Oooooo . . . very soothing.    Lyrics by Paul Francis Webster.

Re: Bossa Nova

But it's music lovers like this that restore my faith in the human race.  Us amatuers have to stick together!  So universal!  He made my eyes get a little misty - I feel his pain.  None of the other versions (above) did that.  Seriously!  The spirit is strong, but the flesh is weak - ain't it so my YouTube friend.

Re: Bossa Nova

From The Movie "A Man and A Women" (1966.)  I finally saw it on DVD.  Interesting film.  Let's see . . . 47 years since it came out.  Better late than never. . .

Two things I liked in the movie (besides the leading lady Anouk Aimée.)

1.  The song "Samba Saravah" - I had to learn it on guitar after watching it.  It's a tribute to all the Bossa Nova/Samba artists of the time.  A clip from the movie.  Young love . . .

2.  The car.  The 1966 Ford GT-40.  Awesome!!!

Re: Bossa Nova

This is for you Kermit.  This music has stood the test of time.  Stan Getz did this song back in  1963.  I wonder if there is a guitar lesson for this one?

Menina Moca (Young Lady)

Live from Yokohama, another Stan Getz?
123456 ... 8